Quantcast

check 223 frame allignment

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
hey i've been hearing some wierd clicking noises at when the shock rebounds and stuff on my dhx air. so i want to check the frame for straightness before i cause any real damage.

anyone else feel a slight click in there dhx?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
julian_dh said:
hey i've been hearing some wierd clicking noises at when the shock rebounds and stuff on my dhx air. so i want to check the frame for straightness before i cause any real damage.

take off the shuttle mount, clean it, lightly grease the underside, clean and grease the bolts. i bet that works.

could also be a seat post or the seat rails. . . . that stuff can sound like its comming from the frame.

Lee

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
julian_dh said:

IMO an air shock on a frame like that is a bad idea. Even if it was aligned perfectly it will flex. An air shock and side loading is not a good idea, the thing will wear out very quickly.

Frames like a DHR, sunday, single pivots with swing links (foes, yeti) or FSR design bikes would be more suitable for an air shock.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cave Dweller said:
Frames like a DHR, sunday, single pivots with swing links (foes, yeti) or FSR design bikes would be more suitable for an air shock.
Generalizations are bad. A misaligned frame, no matter what kind, will be bad for a shock, air shock or coil, swing link or no. Some FSR bikes are pretty flexy and could be just as bad as a single pivot in this respect. Single pivots with an elevated swingarm like bullits and the orange bikes can flex more side to side and side-load shocks, but misaligned frames can exist for any kind of bike. It's hard to make a "general" rule about things in this respect.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
yea if i try and flex the frame it goes like 1mm each way at the shock mount on the swingarm and maby a cm at the wheel but i cant feel it while riding no matter how hard i side load the wheel

i guess the play is only when the shock is at its resting point as soon as it gets into the travel its pretty much gone

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Geee... sorry to offend the orange riders. Not being a hater, i really like the design of the new 224 :D

Jm_, i never said anything about oranges being misalligned and the others not, i was say that compared to other designs out there, apples for apples, it is going to flex more.

julian_dh, wiggling the back wheel side to side will not show how much the shock is being side loaded, basically, the further away the shock mounting point is from the pivot the more it will twist and side load the shock, basic engineering folks.

General Lee, I would also say that the orange is not the most flex free bike out there, and im sure if the DHX air was any good for the orange they would have speced it on the top of the line model rather then a DHX coil. Im not saying that you can't run it, all im saying is that the shock will wear out quicker which is a big minus in my books. No biggy if your the racing type who likes ultimate light weight and doesn't mind fixxing stuff more often.

Transcend, i should have clarified, when i said FSR i was thinking the demo line.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'm with Cave Dweller here. I've been riding a 223 for the last 2 months (transition, before i can get a new frame), and i had the option of running a DHX air. I find that my swinger can already get sideloaded (hell, i bent a shaft already) and a DHX is pushing it. How about a DHX air on a 303?

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i dont think i have to worry i only weigh 147.

and from my experience the dhx air has felt just as nice if not better than the dhx coils ive tried.