Quantcast

Check out beginner forum

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a bike related topic in the Beginner forum....

Please have a gander. It's Advice for a Lounge Lizard...

Danke.

Oh yeah, anyone know where I can listen to world cup matches on streaming audio? Can't seem to find a feed...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I can't find anything either, but there's bound to be some sites streaming illegally, just a matter of finding them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Okay, got links and everything now....

Please check it out.

My main questions to address are:

the fork. I figure I want a lock out for road riding.

The Canondale only has about 3" travel VS. 4" for the others. And I don't want to have a bike with a crapass fork which is always in need of maintenance...

Also, the hydraulic brakes vs cable, as well as the SRAM components VS Shimano.

Looking for impressions. Impress me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
SRAM Vs. Shimano is entirely up to the person. Each has a different feel and different shifting style. SRAM is thumb/thumb while Shimano is Thumb/index. I personally like the feel of the 1:1 shifting that the SRAM X.x series offers, but many people prefer the 2:1 of Shimano.

Avid is probably the best mechanical brake on the market. I know a few people who run them instead of hydraulic discs. I'd personally say if you're choosing between something like a Hayes Sole or HFX and an Avid mechanical disc, I'd pick the mechanical. Better modulation and just as easy if not easier to set up and maintain.

As for the fork, if you're not going to be pounding the bike over really rough stuff, 3" should be fine. Pick the bike that feels the best to you when you ride it. You can always change components if you want, but if the bike fits like crap, it will either cost you a bundle to change or you'll go on hating it for a while.