Quantcast

Check out my new music! And happy Halloween!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Sorry to spam, but we like to share around here, don't we?

If you think you'd be interested in some creepy ambient/big beat/electronica, please check out my new music project, Mansard.
Mansard is inspired by grey mansard roofs, lone chimneys, toppling columns, and other symbols of decaying grandeur.

The first song, "At a French Pad," is about the dangers of parents not having adequate supervision for their children at parties. Very Edward Gorey.

The second song, "Arlan," is about the Air Florida Flight 90 disaster of 1982 (when a jetliner hit a bridge in D.C. and sunk in the icy Potomac River.)

Thanks in advance for listening!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I like the concept, especially the Arlan song. I did some thing similar a few years ago using samples from all sorts of sources. It was really just audio collage / noise with some beat / techno thrown in to keep things interesting. Nasa has a lot of cools stuff to pull from.

The Arlan song brought back some memories. I think I was 10 at the time. My Grandparents lived in Alexandria and I remember seeing the crash on the news and being really worried and scared because it was close to where they lived.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I like the concept, especially the Arlan song. I did some thing similar a few years ago using samples from all sorts of sources. It was really just audio collage / noise with some beat / techno thrown in to keep things interesting. Nasa has a lot of cools stuff to pull from.

The Arlan song brought back some memories. I think I was 10 at the time. My Grandparents lived in Alexandria and I remember seeing the crash on the news and being really worried and scared because it was close to where they lived.
Thanks for listening! Yep, I wrote "Arlan," because that crash had a big impact on me as a kid. I was in 2nd grade. My dad came home from work very late that night, due to the traffic and the subway/Metro train accident (which was unrelated but killed three people half-an-hour after the plane crashed into the bridge)... so not only was I freaked out watching the news coverage of people drowning, but my mom and I didn't know if my dad was okay.

My dad ended up not having been near any of it. To this day I get the chills when I cross over that span of the 14th Street Bridge when it's snowing or there's ice down below.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That's some cool stuff!

I have a synth that was made for that kind of coolness but I use it more for stuff like "Tom Sawyer" :p

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
IS that all you on a program or is it a live band with samples? I figured out the drum rythm real quick on the last one. I like it, but it sounds too perfect.
The songs online right now are mostly done with loops I bought (some came with this Sony program I have--others I bought a la carte--they run about $5 per loop/sound effect!)

The last two songs are less detailed, and here's why: The last two songs, "Labor Day Kitchen," and "This Song May Cause Death," each contain a sample that I haven't gotten permission from the original recordings'/compositions' publishing companies yet to use... it involves coming to an agreement (probably with lawyers involved) about proportions of royalties and copyrights... and since I don't think it's quite worth messing with all of that so early in the game... so I haven't worked on those songs as much as the others (they are fairly simple--especially the last one!)... and I just won't put those up for sale anywhere--they're more just to show people what I have an ear for and what I think is fun to listen to.

Two of the songs on MySpace will be available for sale on iTunes in two to seven weeks ("At a French Pad," and "Arlan,")... plus another song (called, "Let's Get Out of Here,"--not online yet) that is made from some loops plus some very unusual ambient sounds I recorded from my apartment window with a Hi-MD recorder (Sony) and an Otterbox microphone.

At some point I'd like to incorporate my live guitar and bass in my music (because playing the bass and guitar is my main musical talent)... but I have no $ for recording equipment and software at this point.