Quantcast

check the grip....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
oh yes...he may be cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye dominant) but at least he's got his grip down :D

took the boy out for some trigger time this week. i knew i kept that old jennings .22 around for something. his hands are still too small to pull the trigger on my .40's but he did put his shoulder into a few shots on the .223 :D

he made some decent shots between 10 and 15 yards, even with him leaning his head to one side. i'm working on getting him to just bring the pistol in front of his left eye instead of moving his head to his right hand. long guns are a different story though with his cross-eye dominance. i'm convinced that he's just going to have to learn to shoot a rifle left handed.

anyway, he LOVED getting some time back out at the range and he'll be coming with me the next time he's out of school on an open range day at work.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Don't worry about the Xeye dominance. When he's older teach him to shoot with both eyes open. Love see kids being taught to be shootist.
When I was in 7th/8th grade we had "outdoor education" where we got to shoot guns and learn how to survive in the wild. The teacher was big into the "both eyes" open technique of shooting.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
When I was in 7th/8th grade we had "outdoor education" where we got to shoot guns and learn how to survive in the wild. The teacher was big into the "both eyes" open technique of shooting.
that only works if you're shouldering a rifle on your dominant eye side. x-eyed dominant kids can't do that. for instance, if you're right handed, try aiming with both eyes with the rifle in your left shoulder.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
that only works if you're shouldering a rifle on your dominant eye side. x-eyed dominant kids can't do that. for instance, if you're right handed, try aiming with both eyes with the rifle in your left shoulder.
We had a bunch of XI's back in the day. We had them march around for 3-4 days with a cotton ball taped over the offending eye. Funny as hell and it solved the problem