Quantcast

Check your bolts!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Back when I was racing I spent a lot more time paying attention to my bike. I would check to make sure bolts were tightened, blah blah blah. Well, Saturday I took my cross bike out for a loooong day of riding and as I was cranking up this mile long steeeeeep hill my left foot started to feel some play. I had just replaced the cleats on my shoe so my first thought was that they weren't tightened enough. I pedaled along cautiously though still cranking up this hill. I wiggled my foot back and forth a couple times and POP! The whole crank arm came right off my bike with my foot still clipped in.

Sheer leg power I tell ya. :)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I spent an entire ride one time wondering why the hell I couldn't shift properly. I stopped like every 20' and played with the front derailleur over and over. Finally after an hour or so of frustration I realized the crank bolt was loose...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
hooples3 said:
so did you continue with one legged intervals???

LOL - nope, put the crank back on and finished my ride. I have to say right here, I see NO pleasure in a fully rigid ride if there are lots of bumps. We explored out into the desert and took some trails that horses use a lot in winter and they were bumpy as hell. When my sunglasses weren't knocking against my helmet, or my bike wasn't shaking so badly I couldn't see, it was fun...and that is on my titanium cross bike with a carbon fork! Then I ran over some form of animal bone and it got jammed between my brake pad and the rim. The redeeming part of that trail was that we saw at least 40 deer.

Adventure!

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
after a long Freeride type ride one of my friends tossed his bike up in the stand to have his crank fall off. he had lost his bolt somwhere on the trail.

Good timing with this post. I've been slacking a bit on those kinds of things lately. My last couple of rides I was getting this horrendous BB type of noise. Figured it was my pedals since I hadn't rebuilt them in over a year. Cleaned em up and regreased. Pedals work much better now, but I was still getting the creaking. Went to pull out the BB and re-grease that and realized my non-drive side crank arm was loose!

D'Oh! is right....