Quantcast

"Chef" quits SouthPark........

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
NEW YORK -

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MunkeeHucker said:
"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."
Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

They replaced Kermit the Frog, how hard can it be to replace Chef?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MunkeeHucker said:
I don't have a problem with Chef taking a stand for his religion.

You can only fight so many battles in your life... why waste your energy on a battle that means nothing to you?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...that's hilarious - Chef was a Scientologist the whole time and we never knew it... the guys should make an episode about Chef leaving, because he believes the aliens are coming back for him soon.

Scientology is great for self-help and empowerment, but to be taken seriously as a religion? L. Ron Hubbard was a Science Fiction writer for years before he wrote Dianetics. Plus he had this yacht the FBI once raided, and they found young boys on it that Ronnie was, well - "letting them help out"... Silly rich Hollywood people. You can't buy yourself virtue or a soul, like with the ridiculous fees that Scientology makes you pay to be a "member" of their religious group.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
S.K.C. said:
...that's hilarious - Chef was a Scientologist the whole time and we never knew it... the guys should make an episode about Chef leaving, because he believes the aliens are coming back for him soon.
Now THAT would be hilarious.

Scientology is a load of crap. Seriously, read their books. A load of crap who have low self esteem.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...now we shouldn't bag on them - it's whatever works for the individual really... It's all about self-help and finding empowerment from within - that's what I understand of it... but as far as being a valid religious belief system - I don't see how it qualifies.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
S.K.C. said:

Scientology is great for self-help and empowerment, but to be taken seriously as a religion? L. Ron Hubbard was a Science Fiction writer for years before he wrote Dianetics. Plus he had this yacht the FBI once raided, and they found young boys on it that Ronnie was, well - "letting them help out"... Silly rich Hollywood people. You can't buy yourself virtue or a soul, like with the fees that Scientology makes you pay to be a "member" of their religious group.
I remember the commercials for that book....It had snippets of self-help text superimposed over a volcano spewing lava everywhere...even then I thought to myself (I was probably 6....) "Wow...what a load of crap..." Then I grew up and found out it was a religion...I just about fell over laughing....now that I know that Shaft is a cop-out...My world is crumbling...:help: :redX:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
S.K.C. said:
...now we shouldn't bag on them - it's whatever works for the individual really... It's all about self-help and finding empowerment from within - that's what I understand of it... but as far as being a valid religious belief system - I don't see how it qualifies.
Are you kidding? They are BEGGING to be bagged on! :D

S.K.C. said:
Well, that would be the point, really, it's a scam that fleeces gullible folks that are looking for others to provide their answers for them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
S.K.C said:
Scientology is great for self-help and empowerment, but to be taken seriously as a religion?

I take Scientology no more or less seriously than just about every other organized religion. IMO they all provide easy answers to impossible questions and call you an infadel if you don't believe what they are selling. And what they are selling often comes at a price.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yep - I understand what you mean...

...but at my church it free to walk in and talk to a nun, whereas it's around $4000 to talk to a Scientologist representative and have an "assesment" of some sort...:rolleyes:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
S.K.C. said:

...but at my church it free to walk in and talk to a nun, whereas it's around $4000 to talk to a Scientologist representative and have an "assesment" of some sort...:rolleyes:
Please stay at home our representatives will be there shortly....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
That sucks that "Chef" Quit, but........... its gonna be a great episode when they make fun of him!

I personally LOVE what Stone and Parker have done with Southpark. It may be the comedian in me, but I think they hit a gold mine. I love bringing the "taboo" into the open :D

(in this case, the "taboo" being making fun of religion)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
johnbryanpeters said:
Well, that would be the point, really, it's a scam that fleeces gullible folks that are looking for others to provide their answers for them.
defines any religion

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The Scott Tenneman episode is on right now, the one where cartman makes him eat his parents. Classic.

Theyre showing the scientology episode again on wednesday. Im sure that isnt an accident.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
S.K.C. said:

Yeah, but the Scientologists don't make your son carry around a candle in a white robe and throw in some sodomy for free... :D

(That I know of, anyways)

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
scientologists sure are touchy, aren't they?

I, for one, will be royally pissed if they make fun of the Flying Spaghetti Monster..... may his noodly appendages touch your lives.

Pastafarians in Peace....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Scientology is nothing but a highly efficient method to part fools with their money. The only reason they call themselves a religion is to avoid the tax burden.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Hayes is a total hypocrite. South Park has made fun of many many religions over the years but he only seems to care when they make fun of his religion.

spincrazy said:
defines any religion
My opinion has moderated somewhat on that point.

Too many expressions of organized religion are based on getting the highest percentage of the flock's money plus nubile women and young boys for the elite.

That said, I have come to realize and admit that religious belief, however expressed, serves as a stabilizing influence for some people.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
MudGrrl said:
scientologists sure are touchy, aren't they?

I, for one, will be royally pissed if they make fun of the Flying Spaghetti Monster..... may his noodly appendages touch your lives.

Pastafarians in Peace....
Yarrr... it be true.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah, but the Scientologists don't make your son carry around a candle in a white robe and throw in some sodomy for free...

(That I know of, anyways)

...yeah... I know - glass houses, shouldn't be throwing anything.

It didn't always used to be like that, but man - that whole thing is just awful - and infuriating. The wonderful irony here is that if a priest commits sodomy he gets thrown in a jail cell with someone who will sodomize him. :D :devil:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BSEVEER said:
Hayes is a total hypocrite. South Park has made fun of many many religions over the years but he only seems to care when they make fun of his religion.
Sounds like most people. We never care untill it happens to us.

J

JRB

I am a pretty crude guy, but I quit watching South Park after the movie. I don't think they crossed a line. I think they dissolved the line. Call me a pussy, but I don't think they are funny.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
I am a pretty crude guy, but I quit watching South Park after the movie. I don't think they crossed a line. I think they dissolved the line. Call me a pussy, but I don't think they are funny.
While I still think that they are funny, I liken them to the person who says, "I am not a racist, but..." and then proceeds to tell a racist joke.

Making fun of someone or something isn't bringing a taboo to light. It's just being mean, plain and simple. While I do laugh and find humor in the mean-ness, it doesn't make it any less mean. (yes, I know I am a hypocrite, but aren't we all in some way?)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
johnbryanpeters said:
That said, I have come to realize and admit that religious belief, however expressed, serves as a stabilizing influence for some people.
Yeah I tend to agree, plus in some places the religious institutions provide a social function as well. I just don't like how some people exercise blind faith instead of independent thought. People use faith to avoid conflict, internally and externally, and I think a little conflict is important to evolve. But I don't to get started on evolution...

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
It's nice to see he didn't mind making fun of practically every other religion... classic.

When I heard this I laughed so hard I almost wet my "Magic Underwear"