Quantcast

Chef's, cooks, and of the like

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the lounge, but it looks like anything goes so I'm posing a question to my fellow Chef's. I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to be "when I grow up" and I'm considering the avenue of Chefhood. I've done the past 6 years in the military as an administrative personnel and got out to go to college, I've completed my associates degree but every avenue I look down with my future binoculars seems un-interesting. The other day I was given an opportunity to learn how to cook at a restaurant. Starting off at the bottom of course, and I was just looking for a "job" but...started to remember a good friend in HS. He came from nothing, broken home, mom was never around, and I had hooked him up with a job at Perkins washing dishes. To make a long story short, he ended up working his way through the ranks so to speak, went to the culinary art school in Portland, OR, and now manages a restaurant in Tahoe. He stuck with it, it took him a good 10 years but he loves cooking, and because of the knowledge he earned along the way, and his dedication, he makes decent $$$ doing what he loves(*Key to life). I was just curious as to what it takes to become a chef these days, schooling, day to day experiences, job outlook, etc. It sounds like a great way to make a living and I wanted to hear what you experienced Chef's have to say about it.

Cheers
Future Chef boy R D

splat

Nam I am
Bacon ! Cook lots of Bacon!!! everything is better with Bacon!

While I don't know Much about the Cluinary Arts industry, do you have a Wife , kids House ? Any REAL responsibilities ? If Not then Go for it ! , what have you got to lose ?

and After all Burger King is always Hiring . JK

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
splat said:
Bacon ! Cook lots of Bacon!!! everything is better with Bacon!

While I don't know Much about the Cluinary Arts industry, do you have a Wife , kids House ? Any REAL responsibilities ? If Not then Go for it ! , what have you got to lose ?

and After all Burger King is always Hiring . JK
No responsiblities here, making a career change if I can't land a decent administrative position. I think the culinary field would be a great change of pace. Plus I'd like to be able to work the evenings so I can play during the days. But I'm talking about doing this as a possible career, not just a perkins cook.(no offense if that's your job) I want to pursue a school, learn how to do everything right, and get into a specialty restauraunt in a resort type setting. For instance, my buddy from HS manages a couple of restaurants in Tahoe now, he works nights and snowboards/mtn. bikes every single day. Talk about a lifestyle. I've seen his name on credits of snowboard films for providing the culinary aspect when they do the editing for weeks at a time in hawaii. Sounds like a great life. Now granted this is not feasible for everyone, but somewhere in between a perkins kitchen manager and a 5 star resort chef would be suffice. It just sounds fun, active, and not as mundane as administrative tasks, even though my computer skills are honed now.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I live in Ashland Or, and have been working at a restaurent for almost 4 years now, and the head cook before me left to go to the culinary school up in Portland and says it's awesome. The classes start off really slow, but he said almost everyone in his classes were able to go out and get jobs at local restaurants even before they had graduated. I'd say if you really wanna be a chef, then it'd be the way to go. It is sorta expensive tho, 35 K for a lil over a year of classes.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Jay_Reemin said:
Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the lounge, but it looks like anything goes so I'm posing a question to my fellow Chef's. I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to be "when I grow up" and I'm considering the avenue of Chefhood. I've done the past 6 years in the military as an administrative personnel and got out to go to college, I've completed my associates degree but every avenue I look down with my future binoculars seems un-interesting. The other day I was given an opportunity to learn how to cook at a restaurant. Starting off at the bottom of course, and I was just looking for a "job" but...started to remember a good friend in HS. He came from nothing, broken home, mom was never around, and I had hooked him up with a job at Perkins washing dishes. To make a long story short, he ended up working his way through the ranks so to speak, went to the culinary art school in Portland, OR, and now manages a restaurant in Tahoe. He stuck with it, it took him a good 10 years but he loves cooking, and because of the knowledge he earned along the way, and his dedication, he makes decent $$$ doing what he loves(*Key to life). I was just curious as to what it takes to become a chef these days, schooling, day to day experiences, job outlook, etc. It sounds like a great way to make a living and I wanted to hear what you experienced Chef's have to say about it.

Cheers
Future Chef boy R D
I would definitely say go to culinary school. I went and I learned alot. On top of that I went to college and got a degree in Hotel/Rest. management it can take you far in life if you let it. I recently got out of the cooking aspect because of my lifestyle choices (Vegan) but it's a great field that will always be growing because people need to eat. I will say unless you want to spend your every waking moment at work....don't actually own a restuarant....but you can make some huge coin doing it.

I have been in the indusrty for over 15 years and it
1. Pays the bills and then some.
2. I love what I do.
3. My wife doesn't have to work.

I think you should give it a shot. You're young enough that if it's not what you want you still have plenty of time to explore other avenues...D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my dad's wife's son went to culinary school, did an internship in Tahoe, and is now working in Steamboat Springs at a resort. he's not hurting for money now...not wiping his ass with $100 bills, but he's doing better than i will be doing after i graduate. he loves his job, and is quite happy.

cooking is something that has recently become an interest of mine. if i didn't have $40K in school debt, i'd like to experiment with the culinary field.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Jay_Reemin said:
Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the lounge, but it looks like anything goes so I'm posing a question to my fellow Chef's. I'm in the process of figuring out what I want to be "when I grow up" ....
Future Chef boy R D

Simple... don't grow up.... less figuring out that way:evil: :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Do it now while you have no ties. It will be easier to devote yourself entirely to getting to the top.

A good friend and my ex-brother-in-law are both chefs. I watched them work their way up from line cooks to executive chefs. "Working your way up" requires long hours, day after day, week after week. It was not uncommon for them to be in their kitchens from well before dawn until well after midnight. Steer clear of the vices I've seen several chefs turn to: drugs (to keep them going) and alcohol (to wind down). It cost my brother-in-law his family and my friend several trips to rehab.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Read "Kitchen Confidential" then decide if you want to join the food service industry. It is a great read & Anthony Bourdain rocks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TN said:
Read "Kitchen Confidential" then decide if you want to join the food service industry. It is a great read & Anthony Bourdain rocks.
that was gonna be my exact recommendation.

the book's worth a read even if you have the least interest in cooking; it's great entertainment.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Muuqi said:
I live in Ashland Or, and have been working at a restaurent for almost 4 years now, and the head cook before me left to go to the culinary school up in Portland and says it's awesome. The classes start off really slow, but he said almost everyone in his classes were able to go out and get jobs at local restaurants even before they had graduated. I'd say if you really wanna be a chef, then it'd be the way to go. It is sorta expensive tho, 35 K for a lil over a year of classes.
I have a sort of funny story about Western Culinary Institute here in Portland:

My son was looking for a career change and has a friend who was going there while he was working as a prep chef. He told my son they were hireing, so he got a job there too. Since Bo is in school, my son got all the hours. A year later, there was a big shakedown and everyone in the kitchen quit but my son. He ran the whole kitchen for 2 weeks, from the dishes to the menu by imself. The owner was so impressed that he was made kitchen manager and now Bo works for him doing his internship.

My son has never been to school, but he runs the show and loves it. He is thinking of going to school later, but he's happy working for a living at this point.

If you have a solid work ethic (the military should have given you that) and drive, you can do will in that industry.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
that was gonna be my exact recommendation.

the book's worth a read even if you have the least interest in cooking; it's great entertainment.
Even if you hate cooking, it's a funny book. Now, if you hate reading, I'd pass... :p

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BikeGeek said:
Steer clear of the vices I've seen several chefs turn to: drugs (to keep them going) and alcohol (to wind down). It cost my brother-in-law his family and my friend several trips to rehab.
Good advice.
Most of the chefs I've ever known have either been f*ck-ups or chronic substance abusers, sometimes both. Tends to go with the lifestyle somewhat. There are exceptions of course.