Quantcast

Chef's knife

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I've been pining after a really good all purpose chef's knife for a while. Recently the MAC MBK-85 has become the object of my fantasy.

Does anyone any experience with MAC knives? Are the Professional series knives worth it? Other knife suggestions?

Just for fun, a pair hand made knives I picked up in Italy, from the place they're made--for 15 Euro each! The GF got the matching chef's knife...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
With the santoku knife design is it the shape of the blade or the graton edge (scallops) that people like more? Is there enough of a point to work with?

Obviously the scalloping is intended to reduce sticking and friction while slicing, so is there downside to scalloped blades?

Nobody, I know you are something of a knife fancier, and I'd like to hear what you have to say about an awesome do-it-all knife (if you were to own only a boning knife, a paring knife and one other knife, what would it be?).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
It's the shape of the blade. It just feels really good. I held a few knives in the store, mostly Henkel and Wusthof variations of chef's and santoku knives, and the santokus felt better every time. I haven't run into a situation where I'd want or need anything more pointed. The scallops may or may not help with the sticking. I haven't really noticed.

I saw on the same site that you linked to that they have Wusthof santokus on sale. I think it was something like seventy dollars, which is a great deal.

I do recommend that you try holding the knives if possible. Different manufacturers and models will feel different, and you'll probably find one you prefer. I happen to like the Wusthof Classic handle.