• Troy Lee Designs descender

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Azonic Z-5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
Hey i am looking into buying some upper body armor i want a jacket style not a roost. I am looking at the rockgardn flak jacket, 661 pressure suit, Azonic Z-5, and the troy lee designs descender. what are people opinions on these suits? I know Dainese is where its at but i cant afford it so if you have any suggestions make sure its under $200

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Go for the rockgardn. it is like the dainese without the price. it is breathable, and comfortable enough to wear on the skin. It has a removable spin, and arms and for 06 it is lighter and less bulkey and has a biger chest protector. I have been wearing mine for 2 years and have had no problems, plus if you do they have great costumer service. if you need more info check it out at www.rockgardn.com. the flack jacket has saved my life many times, plus bender uses it. So it should be fine for the rest of us.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^What he said. I don't know too much about the 661 or TLD, but I know several people who hate their Azonic gear and many more (including myself) who love Rockgardn stuff.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm using the '05 flack jacket. I haven't had any others- this is my first. I tried the 661 on at a shop in portland, even the small was big (haha); i'm 5'3 and 125lbs. I have the small/medium one.

I haven't used others so I can't compare much. I really like that you can remove the elbow guards. Sometimes, I wear only elbows. The Flack Jacket can be hot when its 85+ on a slow trail, but most armor would be.

If you have more money and can wait, maybe you should get the '06 with the improvements.

I strongly suggest the rock garden, it has helped a lot.

The thing that can be annoying is when you don't wear armor, you may have a bad crash, but when you do wear armor, you may not even crash.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I bought the 661 just when I first started to ride DH. It felt weird and I have not worn it since. Maybe if I were riding a motorcycle it would be more important to wear. However, with riding a bicycle, it just seems silly and awkward.

Cat Daddy

Chimp
Dec 17, 2002
lovebunny said:

ummm. looks quite similar to me

Different material, different foam, different cut, different length, different/more shoulder adjustment straps, different kidney belt, different arms.

That's some of the differences in the '05 version you've posted... '06 is even more different...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
SAME
same same same

THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME!

Probably made in the same chinese/taiwanese factory.
Just like everyone get's cheng shin tubes and tires.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No they don't. The shoulders are different, the forearms are different, and everything else is different. Maybe you should invest in some glasses.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
ahem, let me put it this way.

Same same sam, same same same same same same same. Same same same, same; same same same same! Same same same same same.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
adurham said:
Hey i am looking into buying some upper body armor i want a jacket style not a roost. I am looking at the rockgardn flak jacket, 661 pressure suit, Azonic Z-5, and the troy lee designs descender. what are people opinions on these suits? I know Dainese is where its at but i cant afford it so if you have any suggestions make sure its under $200

If chest protection is your main concern, save your pennies and get the dainese, it's the only one with an effective chest plate.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA

<br>
Our all new AZONIC Z6 Body Armor is the finest on the planet. Constructed from high impact injection molded plastic featuring full spine forming flexible plastic protection and light weight netting for the ultimate in a comfortable secure fit. Additional features include full zipper front closure system, adjustable elastic kidney belt with genuine Velcro&#174; closure and fully adjustable Spandex&#174; straps throughout the arm and shoulders. Available in black sizes Adult S-XXL and Youth S-L.

All-new design features adjustable length arms and removable elbow/forearm guards. It can be worn as a full jacket, short-sleeve jacket, or just the elbow/forearm guards by themselves.
Ventilated, injection-molded plastic over perforated EVA padding offers strong, cool protection.
Full-length, moisture wicking Lycra base is breathable, smooth and comfortable enough to be worn directly against the skin.
Wide, impact-dispersing, articulated back slider
Four-point shoulder adjustment straps allow even, linear adjustment, and are both perimeter and &#8220;X" stitched for durability.
Moto-style kidney belt with side compression adjustment tabs and hidden stash pocket for keys, ID, etc.
Landing Zone&#8482; Elbow/Forearm Guards act as direct replacements in the event of loss or damage.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Dont be a cheapass, If youspend $5000 on your bike, don't you think your body is worth $300? Dianese is the best fitting and best performing protective gear, period.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
It's interesting to see how much brand name matters, in that these two are exactly identical, yet one gets 12 votes while the other gets 0. Hehehe

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
The only problem is that you are posting pics of the Z-5 and the '05 Flack Jacket. The '06 Flack Jacket had changed quite a bit, and I have yet to see pics the Z-6.

Cat Daddy

Chimp
Dec 17, 2002
ioscope said:
ahem, let me put it this way.

Same same sam, same same same same same same same. Same same same, same; same same same same! Same same same same same.
I guarantee you, not the same.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
sleepinggiant said:
The only problem is that you are posting pics of the Z-5 and the '05 Flack Jacket. The '06 Flack Jacket had changed quite a bit, and I have yet to see pics the Z-6.
THat would be the z6.
The 06 flak jacket looks like this:

Maybe a bit different, but largely the same.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
cat daddy what are those rubber things for on the left and right of the flat jacket spin guard, and what are they for?

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I believe SPOKE 80 here on ridemonkey broke his clavacle/chest i think ? from a protector that "zipped" up on the front..

I don't use upper armor -but would want one that is solid in front..I probably should buy some for Sugar National & Windrock..

good thread !

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey ioscope have you even taken the time to try and think why the rockgardn flat jaket has 12 votes and the azonic have 0, becuase if you think you might actually sound inteligent, instead of saying, same same same bla bla. Yes the 05's don't look that much different, but if you listen to CAT the few differences he has listed makes a big difference. If you are a rider you would understand that the kind of material and the extra length for fit makes a huge differenence. This difference must have worked because as you see, the rockgardn is number 1 and well, the Azonic is last on the pole. Rideres care for comfort and i can tell you their is not a body armor out that feels as nice against the skin on a trail as rockgardn's flat jacket. A rider comfertablity is just as important as protection on a trail and this jacket has both. To riders the fit of body armor is much more important than the looks and as soon as you understand that you might beable to give good advise on body armor. So why dont you think about that for awhile, and get back with useful advise for this thread.

Cat Daddy

Chimp
Dec 17, 2002
Adam Novatt said:
cat daddy what are those rubber things for on the left and right of the flat jacket spin guard, and what are they for?
I think you're asking about the scapula protection on either side of the back slider, right? That's hard plastic there, and the receiving zippers are sewn to the padding underneath.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I will say it again, my vote is for Rockgardn. For every reason it is just better then anything else!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
checked out the new fox stuff a fattirefarm today. looks nice but i'm not sure about durability? felt uber heavy too. if only rockgardn's zipper was'nt in the front, it would be the perfect armour. dainese has full coverage chest plate. i have crappy azonic gear and have whacked myself in the chest w/seat, my stem, the ground.... every time it seems to hit dead center btween the two plates were the zipper is and no protection. still won't keep me from buying rockgardn this season though.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
They have the same hardshell pads. This means they are manufactured by the same company, at least in part. In turn... they are largely the same thing, for different prices.

ADEM N00BV4t

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Adam Novatt said:
Rideres care for comfort and i can tell you their is not a body armor out that feels as nice against the skin on a trail as rockgardn's flat jacket. A rider comfertablity is just as important as protection on a trail and this jacket has both. To riders the fit of body armor is much more important than the looks and as soon as you understand that you might beable to give good advise on body armor. So why dont you think about that for awhile, and get back with useful advise for this thread.

Adam not to burst your bubble, but i think Dainese would be leading if it was on the list, it's a way better setup than any of the ones listed, although the new style 661 might be getting close.

The other reason the Azonic might be behind is marketing....azonic makes alot of stuff, body armor isen't their main business, and they haven't put alot of work into making people think they should by thier version.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i understand and yes dainese would be at 1 if it were on the list. I would also have to agree on the second point that you brought up, Azonic doesn't really put much marketing towards their product, but to say they are the exact same does not give rockgardn justice.