Quantcast

Chest protectors

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I want to buy a chest protector for DH riding on gnarlier terrain and in the bike park. I don’t want shoulder pads or any of that extra bulk. I don’t wear a neck brace and don’t ever plan to again.

The fox and Leatt ones both look decent. But I have never tried one before.

What should I consider?

Besides the fact that I must be getting old.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I want to buy a chest protector for DH riding on gnarlier terrain and in the bike park. I don’t want shoulder pads or any of that extra bulk. I don’t wear a neck brace and don’t ever plan to again.

The fox and Leatt ones both look decent. But I have never tried one before.

What should I consider?

Besides the fact that I must be getting old.
You can’t be that old I you still want to ride DH!
I wear this one.
1574662219874.jpeg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
just out of curiousity, why do people want armour without shoulder protection? I've checked too many trees to want to forgo shoulder protection if I'm going "full hero" and don the armour.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
The answer, as always, is whatever fits you best.

But after discovering that Leatt stuff apparently used my identical twin as a model, I've been using their gear often. Have their chest protector, integrates perfectly with their neck brace and been hot spot and issue free. Haven't crashed hard enough to put it to a solid test, but I don't have any qualms.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
just out of curiousity, why do people want armour without shoulder protection? I've checked too many trees to want to forgo shoulder protection if I'm going "full hero" and don the armour.
Shoulder pads usually won't stop the shoulder from bending weirdly and fucking up the rotator cuff or A-C joint. Best prevention is stronger muscles to hold the shoulder in place in an impact.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I haven't worn upper body armour since one interstate race where it was a requirement and I borrowed a Dainese suit, but the guys I know who run it fulltime do it to protect vital organs - I guess shoulders aren't on that list?

I crashed hard that race in the Dainese suit and still distinctly remember sliding across the trail at some ridiculous angle and all I couldn't think was - geez this armour stuff actually works! Completely unscathed.