Quantcast

Chewie's Story, Please help!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For those of you who read about our rescue of Chewie the other day...Sweet Lady Chewie visited the vet today regarding her injured hind leg. Unfortunately, it was bad news. Her pelvis is broken in two places and she needs a massive surgery. Please consider donating to Chewie's surgery fund and share our page with dog lovers far and wide. Any donation helps. Thank you so much guys, it means a lot to us and will help save a good dog in need.

https://www.gofundme.com/chewiesstory

IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I missed the beginning of this story. What happened?

edit: nevermind, read the story. And in.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I saw Laura's mom donated last night, which is awesome. I'm hoping she spreads the word as well.
You'll have to thank her on our behalf. It's amazing to see the number of people who step up when dogs are involved. I will say that this whole experience has changed my perspective and I'll be earmarking some dollars every month to donate to a good cause.

I kicked and spread the word to a few animal lover types.
Thank you Nick! I appreciate both efforts.

@Toshi and @johnbryanpeters A-gamed it. Extra cookies for the next ride.
I most definitely owe some beers. Whenever I see everyone next I've got the libations.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^

looks like some fuckstick kicked her.....uneducated guess....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
^

looks like some fuckstick kicked her.....uneducated guess....
Kinda what I was thinking. I suppose she could have received the same injury if she was hit by a car, but an 8 lb Yorkie gets run over, not hit and bounces off.

What's her status
She is in great spirits at the moment actually; runs around on 3 legs and is just enjoying being a dog.

The vet has come back to us with 5 different options. There's the wait and see option, the cut off the head of the femur option, fix one of the breaks and hope the other heals, fix the other break and see if the other one heals, and removal of the leg. There has been no consensus on what the right option for HER is, but they are trying to push us into the expensive, extensive surgery that isn't guaranteed successful.

We are getting a second opinion now. If I had to choose an option right now I would be in favor of the amputation as it's guaranteed successful and I don't believe it will be painful down the road or hamper her ability to move around. None of the other options are presenting themselves right now with a similar outcome.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Also, if this were a person this would not be an injury that'd require amputation. They'd fix the pelvis with plates and screws and if the femoral head is messed up (can't tell from the tiny photos, honestly) then possibly address that as well so as to stave off the inevitable arthritis.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also, if this were a person this would not be an injury that'd require amputation. They'd fix the pelvis with plates and screws and if the femoral head is messed up (can't tell from the tiny photos, honestly) then possibly address that as well so as to stave off the inevitable arthritis.
:wave:

I have enough titanium in my pelvis and leg to build a bike. Though my leg break wasn't so close to the pelvis/femoral head.

I know it's not your "area", but I wonder if maybe such surgery just isn't possible in such a small dog?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my company makes said hardware. just reading about those procedures.... :twitch:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

I have enough titanium in my pelvis and leg to build a bike. Though my leg break wasn't so close to the pelvis/femoral head.

I know it's not your "area", but I wonder if maybe such surgery just isn't possible in such a small dog?
@Toshi is correct. One of the options they gave us was to plate the pelvis and then remove the head of the femur so it wouldn't put any pressure on the pelvis on that side. Apparently then the end of the femur grows scar tissue around it and I guess just sort of floats there? They did say they couldn't be 100% sure that the procedure wouldn't require them to go in a second time afterwards.

I guess the only reason I was thinking amputation was because it was an almost near guarantee that she wouldn't have pain or discomfort beyond the healing process and that it would be best for her long term prospects. Then again I haven't been to med school so what do I know.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if a dog that small were hit by a car...the xrays generally look like a dropped bottle..

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi is correct. One of the options they gave us was to plate the pelvis and then remove the head of the femur so it wouldn't put any pressure on the pelvis on that side. Apparently then the end of the femur grows scar tissue around it and I guess just sort of floats there? They did say they couldn't be 100% sure that the procedure wouldn't require them to go in a second time afterwards.

I guess the only reason I was thinking amputation was because it was an almost near guarantee that she wouldn't have pain or discomfort beyond the healing process and that it would be best for her long term prospects. Then again I haven't been to med school so what do I know.
The femoral head removal is the equivalent of a Girdlestone procedure for humans: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/girdlestone-procedure . Still done these days, usually for infected hip replacements. Some people with it can be remarkably functional.

If I were in that position I'd give that a try before lopping it all off, but then again I'm not a dog so don't know what I'd value in terms of quality of life.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We have a good, cheap vet in Golden. I'm getting info from Wifey for you.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Red Rocks animal center in lakewood
www.redrocksanimal.com
Thanks!

We are seeking additional opinions now as the expense (both $$$ and impact to current and future quality of life) on her behalf outweigh the benefits of having them plate the hip at this time. The guy we spoke to yesterday, who is a friend of the wife's employer and was not being compensated for his opinion, said that at this time she should just rest up for a few weeks and we'll address it after that. Chances are the pelvis will heal up fine and they'll just do the girdlestone surgery Toshi was talking about. She may have a funny gait after that, but in his opinion plating the hip was completely unnecessary and would have dubious benefits.

Right now she's doing great and is hobbling around enjoying life. Much better than the woods I'm sure.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks!

We are seeking additional opinions now as the expense (both $$$ and impact to current and future quality of life) on her behalf outweigh the benefits of having them plate the hip at this time. The guy we spoke to yesterday, who is a friend of the wife's employer and was not being compensated for his opinion, said that at this time she should just rest up for a few weeks and we'll address it after that. Chances are the pelvis will heal up fine and they'll just do the girdlestone surgery Toshi was talking about. She may have a funny gait after that, but in his opinion plating the hip was completely unnecessary and would have dubious benefits.

Right now she's doing great and is hobbling around enjoying life. Much better than the woods I'm sure.
The cost there vs. the place we go to in HR is drastically different. We had a growth removed and the did it for $125. The HR vet was quoting $400. Anything beyond basic, we drive up to see the Lakewood vet.