Quantcast

Chicken Wings

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
I know this should be in the beer/food forum, but I don't think I will get a response fast enough. So I will trust in the infinite wisdom of the lounge monkeys. Here's the question. When you're frying chicken wings is there something that you put in the oil to get that deep golden color? Everytime I try and fry some up they look all pasty white and nasty. Cooking these up for some St. Pattys day festivities in a couple hours.

Thanks

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I bake (not fry) them with texas pete hotsauce and honey. The honey will caramelize and turn them golden brown. (try baking at 350 for 45 minutes)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use veggie oil with a few pats of butter. But I take them out of the oil and put them in the oven to finish for a little lees grease and get a good look.

I have also used a bake-only method.

Speaking of wings, I just got a bottle of "Ghetto Gormet" wing sauce from a guy down the street. He has a food cart in a parking lot 2 blocks from my office. Has to be the best dipping sauce I have ever had.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The secret is the brine. Soak your wings in salted / spiced (tabasco) ice water for a few hours, pat dry, lightly flour and fry in enough oil to cover the wings. Start your oil at 375 and stop adding wings when the temp drops to 350. :)

J

JRB

Wings are a lot of work for such little return. Without half naked chicks, I don't see the point.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Im looking for a good Buffalo sauce, and since its not really a thing here in Holland I was hoping you could help.
Is Franks Red Hot any good? Its the first thing that pops up in google while searching for Buffalo sauce thats actually available here...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Franks Buffalo sauce is a good substitute for real buffalo sauce, which is franks red hot and butter. On the plus side, the butter substitute that they use is low/zero calorie, while butter is not.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Im looking for a good Buffalo sauce, and since its not really a thing here in Holland I was hoping you could help.
Is Franks Red Hot any good? Its the first thing that pops up in google while searching for Buffalo sauce thats actually available here...
Good is subjective... I love that stuff, but I'm not sure I'd call it "good". Sometimes, it's just what you need.

Can't hurt to get some, and then expand your horizon beyond as your taste evolves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OG buffalo sauce is Frank's and butter. And maybe a touch of garlic

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Franks Buffalo sauce is a good substitute for real buffalo sauce, which is franks red hot and butter. On the plus side, the butter substitute that they use is low/zero calorie, while butter is not.
Their buffalo sauce is too heavy on whatever butter substitute they use imo

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I did Frank's with brown sugar and garlic the other night for a sweet/spice combo I was very happy with. I prefer the straight Frank's and butter vs the "wing sauce".

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

It's vegan, yo.

I dunno, I much prefer the jarred wing sauce to the sysco tub'o'lard you get from most pizza shops. Neither are a match for real wing places, but those are rare outside of upstate NY. Wing places here are a little too aggressive with their "YEAH WE TOOK IT A STEP FURTHER BRUH" sauce, or their wings are breaded sysco nightmares.

It's hard to find good, "I put a chicken wing in the fryer for a while" wings if you're not in NY. I guess I'm a purist, but the best I've tasted are pretty simple.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

It's vegan, yo.

I dunno, I much prefer the jarred wing sauce to the sysco tub'o'lard you get from most pizza shops. Neither are a match for real wing places, but those are rare outside of upstate NY. Wing places here are a little too aggressive with their "YEAH WE TOOK IT A STEP FURTHER BRUH" sauce, or their wings are breaded sysco nightmares.

It's hard to find good, "I put a chicken wing in the fryer for a while" wings if you're not in NY. I guess I'm a purist, but the best I've tasted are pretty simple.
breaded wings = kill list

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
anything that flies = tough wings.
I guess I should specify, you ideally want farm raised for wings. I'm not opposed to making wings with ducks I, or somebody I know shot out of the sky, I don't find them too tough, tougher than chicken wings, but not even approaching shoe leather. However, one that's never really flown will still have the genetics of a bird that can fly and have more meat than a naturally flightless bird like a chicken.

What do they do with the foie gras goose once they harvest the liver? I'll but that chubby bastard has some good wings on it.