Quantcast

Children of the Cairns 2016

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That goddamn spider seems to pop up every time I look at this page.

Which leads me to my prediction: Loic will be up by 5 seconds, and then run into one of those demonspawns webs, and subsequently be eaten.

Kidwoo will not notice the part where he gets eaten.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It looks like it was built in the 90s. Rough stuff but only right after a 90 degree come to a stop turn. Then just some switchbacks and bike park one line, one speed shit.

ick
Yep, but at least we didn't make them go to Canberra this time.

they didn't want a second north america event (windham) because it was "too expensive". so they send the circus to australia instead. :bonk::crazy::think::disgust1:
To be fair, Aussies and Kiwis do make the top 10 fairly consistently. Might be worth giving us some local-ish rounds now and then, even if the only courses that meet UCI WC requirements aren't our best ones.

I've suddenly discovered that I strongly dislike Australian WC's. 11:30pm start is going to be rough.
As someone who has to be up at midnight on a Sunday night/Monday morning to watch most WCs - suck it up princess.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My brain says Gwin is going to win 5/6 races this year (or at least, he's going to win every one of them save one), and my heart says this is the one Brosnan wins!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
One rock garden does not make a WC track....

Ugh.

I know racing is racing, but geeze what turd course to spectate the worlds best racers compete on.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
One rock garden does not make a WC track....

Ugh.

I know racing is racing, but geeze what turd course to spectate the worlds best racers compete on.
Ouch. I've ridden in that area myself, some epic trails... I can say it doesn't translate that well to video.

Ratboy seems to like it?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, perhaps it doesn't translate well on film. That happens a lot, but those berms up top look like they were made for early 2000's wheelbase numbers. Maybe it will rain again and make it exciting to watch.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, perhaps it doesn't translate well on film. That happens a lot, but those berms up top look like they were made for early 2000's wheelbase numbers. Maybe it will rain again and make it exciting to watch.
I like those turns. Yes they are not high speed but they do seem deep/high enough to be fun.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Only nine women listed in time training. Is that the entire women's field?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anything in a rainforest will be hard to get good vantage points unfortunately. Brazil had the same issue from memory, with only a couple of open sections. Unfortunately, the open sections for good camera coverage are also the most pedestrian, so it ends up looking like a highway for the Redbull coverage depending on the number of cameras they use.

At least the spectators that made it to the event can get themselves decent vantage points.

Nothing is going to beat the coverage we got from that WC (I think Val d'Isère? Where Bulldog won?) where the had the cameras mounted on the mountain opposite and could follow the riders the whole way down in perfect clear weather. That was brilliant.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Big Mac won in Viking land. And yeah that vantage was awesome.

Don't forget how completely good the camera footage at Lourdes just was. I don't know if it's time away from races but I don't remember ever having that many cameras on a course. That was really incredible coverage......all just people standing along the track too.