Quantcast

Children of the Cairns 2016

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I swear like a sailor, but I still cringe too when I hear it dropped in interviews and race vids....they are just bike riders, so, whatever...but still, even the rest of us potty mouths know when to keep it relatively clean

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
they're 3 and 5. gimme a fuckin break! there'll be plenty of time for profanities later in life...
Shouldn't they be watching sponge bob or something? DH is clearly too adult for them. Better yet: go outside and play in the yard kids!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
they're 3 and 5. gimme a fuckin break! there'll be plenty of time for profanities later in life...
I'm with you slyfink. I have an 8 and 5 year old. No reason rad stuff like DH and moto needs to kept away from kids so that 20somethings can curse freely. It adds nothing.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seems pretty easy to not swear in front of children. Should seem especially easy to not swear when you're a professional athlete doing a live interview at a huge event that you know kids will see.

Maybe you don't give a shit about swearing in front of kids, but then again, you're not being paid to give a shit. The athletes are. Companies aren't paying them because they're incredible athletes, companies are paying them to represent how fast their bikes can go and how cool their bikes are. Part of that is not being a douche to potential customers kids.

Seems pretty cut and dry. And also pretty easy to watch your language for your 30 seconds in the interview limelight.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Other than the Monster sluts (god bless them) the Supercross event I took my boys to last weekend was a very family friendly event. I was impressed, though I am by far the worst influence in my boys lives so it was a moot point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Two things I observed last night:

1) These guys need to stop dropping f-bombs in interviews. Yeah, it shouldn't be a big deal, but you're a professional athlete. Act like it. Multiple guilty parties here.

2) Man, some of these pyjama suits are getting awfully tight again eh?
if you want sanitized, well rehearsed interviews, i'd recommend supercross/motocross.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I reckon society is pretty low when you consider not cursing as "sanitation". Dictionary is full of ways to be spontaneous and show enthusiasm with out cursing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I reckon society is pretty low when you consider not cursing as "sanitation". Dictionary is full of ways to be spontaneous and show enthusiasm with out cursing.
have you ever seen a supercross interview? sometimes i'm not entirely convinced their interviews aren't recordings coming from a robot

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
have you ever seen a supercross interview? sometimes i'm not entirely convinced their interviews aren't recordings coming from a robot
Oh yeah, Im certainly not impressed with "Let me thank Red Bull, KTM, Dunlop, Wiseco Pistons, Mountain Dew, Fruit of the Loom, Wheaties, Kotex, and don't for get God, for the win today"

But for some reason my kid doesn't then go off and drop the word Kotex in homeroom. I don't know how they know what words NOT to say but dang it they just do. I'd rather waste time teaching him actual important stuff like how to whip a dirt bike versus what words aren't kid appropriate.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
While true, everything about supercross is designed to engage the entire family and therefore build the future market.
It has a disney flavor but its hard to argue with the positive, enthusiastic vibe of it all.
Nearly every one of parenting age had kids in tow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh yeah, Im certainly not impressed with "Let me thank Red Bull, KTM, Dunlop, Wiseco Pistons, Mountain Dew, Fruit of the Loom, Wheaties, Kotex, and don't for get God, for the win today"

But for some reason my kid doesn't then go off and drop the word Kotex in homeroom. I don't know how they know what words NOT to say but dang it they just do. I'd rather waste time teaching him actual important stuff like how to whip a dirt bike versus what words aren't kid appropriate.

i absolutely get your point. there's a time and a place for it, but sometimes people just let one slip. especially australians. it doesn't sound like he went off on some Tarantino inspired tirade, and the guy in question is just a privateer.

besides, people in the real world swear. can't protect them from everything forever. i'm of the mindset it's better to teach them about it and have an understanding of what the words are, why they shouldn't use them, and what will happen if they do. obviously this kind of logic and thinking isn't possible at younger ages, but once they reach a certain age they're bound to hear an F-bomb somewhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While true, everything about supercross is designed to engage the entire family and therefore build the future market.
It has a disney flavor but its hard to argue with the positive, enthusiastic vibe of it all.
Nearly every one of parenting age had kids in tow.
my kid is only 1 and he likes watching both supercross and the DH world cups on TV, at least as long as his attention span allows.

AMA is making a big push to be more mainstream, so there's obviously the need to present a certain image.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Other than the Monster sluts (god bless them) the Supercross event I took my boys to last weekend was a very family friendly event. I was impressed, though I am by far the worst influence in my boys lives so it was a moot point.
At the expense of sounding like a mindful human being (i.e. PC pussy), do you really think someone dropping an f-bomb (or any other expletive) in a post-race interview is worse than the systematic objectification of women as sex objects?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
At the expense of sounding like a mindful human being (i.e. PC pussy), do you really think someone dropping an f-bomb (or any other expletive) in a post-race interview is worse than the systematic objectification of women as sex objects?
Says Early Cuyler with a hat that says "Booty Hunter"

;)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
No, but neither bother me to be honest.
I don't view the monster girls as victims though, they're working the system to their advantage just like beautiful women always have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this thread is pretty stupid, but it's giving me plenty of ideas for custom titles.

"kotex in homeroom"

"PC pussy"

I'm sure redballz isn't thrilled about live interview swearing, but it's a live event watched by like six people...they can't do everything.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Since I'm so smart (and the father of a 5 year old), I will offer this simple solution -

Two separate broadcasts:

1.) Old school drunk Warner (and soon to be drunk Steve Peat) commentating and riders would be allowed to have at it in post-race interviews. Hell, I'd be even be willing to pay $20 or so for *that* broadcast. Personally, WC-DH time is daddy time (ie - beer and bros) and I don't honestly don't want my precious little princess around for the adult themed hijinks.

2.) The Redbull rampage guys would commentate and riders would be well aware of the non-cursing policy before an interview. Maybe even have a delay. Also would recommend they give the riders (especially the winner) a fair bit of time before said interview. I can assure you that if you stuck a microphone in front of the receiver who just caught the superbowl winning touchdown even 5 minutes after it happened, you'd likely get some colorful adjectives thrown in there.

While obviously my idea is a non-starter for a sport thats lucky to have any live coverage, it would be nice to have 2 options. Like having a "blowing off steam, eff this rotten football team" section and a family friendly section that would make high society Victorian England seem uncouth. Everybody's happy then!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Not like every motherfucker on camera was dropping flaming verbal shitballs for 2 hours. We had the dude who last week was driving a garbage truck or whatever who suddenly ended up 5th at a world cup and was balls-deep in stoke, and Loic the French guy whose first language is Chinese or whatever they speak in France, and, who, by the bye, just won his first WC race.

My kid just makes that O-face that kids make when they hear someone say something they shouldn't. He knows the words, doesn't say them in front of us tall humans, and around his friends they speak with hushed reverence amongst themselves when referring to having heard someone saying "the s-word" or, worse, "the word whose first letter I can't even say".

Ultimately I am most disappointed in Eddie Masters for throwing a dab before his race run. That, friends, is what's going to ruin our kids.