Quantcast

Chile Challenge 4X NATS and World's Qualifier

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
More info on this year's Chile Challenge...skip this if you've been desensitized and left numb by the steady barrage of self-serving MSC dogma.

20th Annual Chile Challenge Descends Upon Angel Fire

The 20th Annual Chile Challenge, race #3 in the Mountain States Cup Championship Series is taking on a life of its own. Each year the event brings more and more riders and their support teams to Angel Fire, a testament to the warm welcome that they receive from the resort and community. This year’s race takes on international implications and as an added bonus, will host a national championship event on Angel Fire’s behemoth mountain-cross course.

Riders from across the globe will compete in two separate mountain-cross events, the Alpha Woods to Wolrd Cup DH, a truly brutal cross-country and super-d. Not since the visit of the World Cup has Angel Fire taken on such stature in the domestic and international racing scene. The 2008 version has garnered the following accolades: it’s a UCI C2-level DH and 4X, it’s a stop on USA Cycling’s Gravity and XC Mountain Bike National Calendars (MBNC), it's a part of the National Mountain Bike Series (NMBS) for Super-D, DH and 4X, it'll serve as National Championships for pros for 4X (getcher UCI points here!) and is an automatic World's Team Qualifier for Juniors and Pros on the gravity side.

Why are all these important? Let’s get to them in order:

1. UCI status: one of the goals of the MSC is to develop domestic riders so that they can compete internationally in World Cup events. We feel that in order to develop riders that can win at the sport’s highest level, we need those very same riders to compete against the best that the world has to offer. In this case, World Cup. The problem is that riders need UCI points in order to be eligible. There are only 3 events in the US that offer these points – Chile is one of them. It’ll offer points for both 4X events and the DH.

2. USAC National Mountain Bike Calendar (MBNC): USA Cycling is our sport’s national governing body. The national calendars that they’ve put together feature some of the very best events from around the country for both Gravity and Cross-Country riders. Eligibility for this distinction is based upon prize purse, production excellence and quality of venue. Winners of USAC NMBC events earn precious points for towards their national ranking, increased exposure for sponsors and consideration for national and trade teams.

3. National Mountain Bike Series – the NMBS is mountain biking’s de facto national series and for many the pinnacle of gravity competition in the US. The NMBS designation attracts riders from all over the country who’re chasing points in that series.

4. 4X (mountain-cross) National Championships – the winners of Sunday’s 4X (the second 4X of the weekend) will be awarded the stars and stripes jerseys that designate national champions. They’ll also receive and automatic spot on USAC’s World Championship Team, thus earning the privilege of representing the United States at World Championships in Europe this summer.

5. Automatic World’s Team Qualifier for Juniors and Pros (DH and MX) – the terrain that our kids and pros will see in Europe is quite a bit more challenging than most of the stuff in the US. Angel Fire’s courses are a notable exception (among a handful of others). Based upon the quality of the courses, USAC has designated the year’s Chile Challenge as an automatic qualifier for their World’s squad. Winners in the JR Expert and Pro categories in DH and MX get an automatic spot.

There’s a ton of other stuff going on. Toyota FJ will be on-site offering ride-and-drives on an off-road trials course. There’ll be video premiers, live music, autograph sessions with pro riders and even a clunker criterium. Online registration closes at midnight on Wednesday. On-site registration will be open throughout the weekend.

For all the information that you could ever want including camping, tech/expo, a complete UCI points scale, the opening of Chile Pepper bike shop at the base of AFR and just about everything else including a complete schedule of the weekend’s festivities please visit the Chile Challenge page at www.racemsc.com. Media inquiries may be directed to the phone number below. For all the event news head to the homepage of the series. We’ll be blogging from the venue as much as possible. There may even be a little video for you to check out.

See you at the races!
Mike McCormack, Series Director, MTN States Cup
970-333-1159
mikemac@bigfootproduction.com

NEXT UP:
June 5-8, The Teva Mountain Games heat up Vail Mountain
With four different cycling competitions including MTB XC, Road Bike Hill Climb, MTB Freeride and Slopestyle. With a $100,000 cash purse ($30,000 cycling specific) and new XC course designer John Bailey, this event promises to be great action for athletes of all calibers. Check out www.tevamountaingames.com for all the latest competition and concert information including the details on a free concert with Ozomatli. Why are we sending you to Vail in 2008? Like the little elf said in The Polar Express, “Trust us.”

June 20-22, Mountain States Cup #4, The Wildflower Rush, Crested Butte, CO
The 2008 WFR is partnered with the Crested Butte Fat Tire Festival once again. That means it’ll be one of the largest gatherings of bike freaks west of the Atlantic Ocean. Riders will sample some of the best singletrack in the US, plus they’ll get a sneak-peek at what the resort has in store for the gravity folks in 2009.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
wow, did they really just use who're as a contraction? The Chile Challenge is so big it even has its own language!

Angel fire has some great terrain and one of my favorite race courses anywhere, too bad it's the same weekend as the Open.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
wow, did they really just use who're as a contraction? The Chile Challenge is so big it even has its own language!

Angel fire has some great terrain and one of my favorite race courses anywhere, too bad it's the same weekend as the Open.
I live in a hick town in Colorado - I'm lucky that I can even read.

MM

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Actually, according to dictionary.com, "who're" is a perfectly acceptable contraction.

My impressive reeding skeels lead me to belieeve that it is true.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Actually, according to dictionary.com, "who're" is a perfectly acceptable contraction.

My impressive reeding skeels lead me to belieeve that it is true.
I beg to differ, but considering how rad Angel Fire is and that the Chile challenge is the lone shining star on the NMBS calendar this year you can get away with anything you want in my book:cheers:

now if you could just bring back the world cup . . .

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
"Whore" is always perfectly acceptable Mike! That would actually be an interesting podium prize. Bet you'd get some good turnout if that prize was up for grabs. How's the local "talent" in NM though?

-ska todd

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
"Whore" is always perfectly acceptable Mike! That would actually be an interesting podium prize. Bet you'd get some good turnout if that prize was up for grabs. How's the local "talent" in NM though?

-ska todd
Ugh...I almost threw up a little when I read that.

World Cup? We're working on it. We're past the submission deadline, but the UCI is cutting us a bit of slack. We'll see. The cost to the host venue is prohibitive - we'd be looking at about $100,000 - and that's without a ton of promotional rights to help pay for the things. The way the Canadian municipalities are set up are really the way to go - it's tough to find that dynamic here in the US (or at least the Rockies). We'll keep plugging away tho'. I know that we will inscript more events with the UCI in 2009.

...and stay tuned for 2 major gravity announcements within the next few weeks.

General Lee - do you mean to imply that something I read on the interweb isn't true? I give you a pass based upon nostalgia. I spent all of third grade laughing like Roscoe P. Coltrane. "Cu-ju-ju-ju-ju-ju! I'm Ros-COE PEEE Coltrane!"

I was (am?) a complete nerd.

MM

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Fast, fast, and then a bit faster. A non-local will win though. CO has NM on lockdown.
Ahh......the blissful ignorance of youth. :D

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
This is very true. Some of them were super fast. I still have my money on a Coloradoian, or Jarad Rando.
David K is not from Cali and I believe he won it last year. I think you should re-think your bet and swing towards the newbie part of the Yeti twins (boice and Gwinn) and bet your or your childs college education on Aaron Gwinn.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Pretty sure that Rando's on the WC circuit - I could be wrong though. Lots of hitters coming from Cali, a fair number of homegrown boys making the trip, possibly an international or two (although most will be overseas).

Honestly? It's a friggin crapshoot. Gwinn's riding his face off, House is always a threat, Boice can be tough to beat especially when he's on his game. I'm not sure who we're seeing from California - EC's dad is sick so he may not make the trip...and that's just 4X. Then again, there are going to be two 4X events, so all the domestic guys will get to line it up twice. Milan? Hanak? Watt? Any one of those guys could snag the top spot. On the women's side? Depends on who comes. Buhl's committed already - not sure who else we'll see.

Rando ran away with the DH last year - nobody came close. So did Buhl. I'm not as familiar with the SoCal guys, but they've had plenty of time to get into the groove. Colorado's still buried.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
sorry about the miss info. on a side note I was talking about DH. Now if your scoping out the 4X, Petr cant race the big day, due to the domestic law, Ross will be in Euro, I believe. Gwinn and Boice are both sick QUALIFIERS as well as Rudy Toody and his gate, John Brrraaappp Waaatttt, will most likely be on the endurance side of the mountain. and the blkmrkt krew will be in full affect, elbows out! Sucks about EC, I hope your father pulls through just like you brotha.

Never forget the sleepers either.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
AFR's gonna keep their bar open on Saturday and Sunday. We'll be screening Stars n Bars on Saturday and F1rst on Sunday (thanks Theo and Clay...)

There's also a beer-fueld clunker crit on Sunday night. If any of you old BMXers have a Stingray stashed in the closet you should plan on bringing it.

MM

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
AFR's gonna keep their bar open on Saturday and Sunday. We'll be screening Stars n Bars on Saturday and F1rst on Sunday (thanks Theo and Clay...)

There's also a beer-fueld clunker crit on Sunday night. If any of you old BMXers have a Stingray stashed in the closet you should plan on bringing it.

MM
Sunday night? I thought I'd read it was Monday - might be time to dust off the '49 Schwinn.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Change to the track? Yup. Bigtime. More passing, more options, smoother transitions. Big, big, big, big BIG props to Steve Wentz from Momentum Trail Concepts (SolVista Bike Park) for putting in the time and having the vision - what he did here is nothing short of amazing.

MM

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Angel Fire has been going off all weekend. Weather has been a factor but it finally today has dried up for the most part and the Dh is good to go. The 4x Natl Champs are going on right now.

Pro DH Quals took place earlier today, but I dont have any results. UCI Chile Challenge 4x went off last night and Petr Hanak took the win along with Melissa Buhl in Women Pro. Troy Cooperman took 1st in Semi Pro.