Quantcast

Chili's is elitist!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My cousin has a gift card to that and Macaroni's Grill, Maggliano's and On The Border, but none of those restaurants are in SF!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your lucky IMO. For someone who travels a lot nothing is more depressing than going across the country and finding the same crappy restaurants wherever you go, the United States of Generica.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My cousin has a gift card to that and Macaroni's Grill, Maggliano's and On The Border, but none of those restaurants are in SF!
There is a Macaroni's in El Cerrito. I heard it sucks incredible amounts of balls.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Your lucky IMO. For someone who travels a lot nothing is more depressing than going across the country and finding the same crappy restaurants wherever you go, the United States of Generica.
So true. Some people think it's a good thing to be able to walk into a restaurant anywhere in the country and get exactly the same food prepared exactly the same way. I think it's horrible, it's just one more way in which local character is being obliterated.

Not to mention the fact that the food sucks. It's full of chemicals and other preservatives, and most of it is pre-made from central kitchens, all the restaurant does is heat it up. Ugh.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, my favorite chain restaurant story (besides the fat guy who scheduled every business trip to Houston around all-you-can-eat lobster night at Pappadeaux's) is a visit from 2 New York college girls to New Orleans.

They asked for a restaurant with these qualifications:

1. Authentic New Orleans
2. Vegetarian
3. Inexpensive.

I had the perfect choice: Napoleon House on Chartes, right in the middle of the French Quarter. So we go there, get seated and order drinks, and then these two girls complain about the place.

I ask them what's wrong, too expensive, not enough selection, too "authentic"? They tell me they want to go to TGIF.

There happens to be a TGIF in the French Quarter (you see, TGIF is not elitist), so we head over there and I drop them off. I refuse to eat there, so about an hour later, I come back, and I see they ordered baked potatos and salads. I tell them they could have gone to the Wendy's a block away and saved themselves $$$.

But they insist they like the mixed drinks at TGIF. I should have bought them a 64 oz Hurricane before we went out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are a few times where it is nice to see chain restraints. I have had to pass through horrible little craptowns where a TGIFs is the only place that seems to be the only place that serves more than chicken fried steak and rat hair. But if I have the time and can find a reliable source, a recommendation from a local about a nice mom and pop place is preferred.