Quantcast

Chimney Gulch - dialup beware

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I got out on Sunday with a couple friends and rode up Chimney Gulch/Lookout Mtn in Golden, CO. Weather was perfect and there weren't too many folks on this popular trail.

The trail starts off with some insanely steep switchbacks. Here's Charlie grinding up:

Here's Jon about to clear the last waterbar of the switchbacks:

Looking back down the trail, you can see Golden below. The large buildings you see are the pride and joy of Colorado - Coors Brewing Co:

About two thirds of the way up, you cross the road that climbs Lookout Mtn and there's a nice view of Clear Creek Canyon, heading west:

Here's Charlie coming around another tough switchback:

Here's me chillin at the top with my stealth Yeti:

From the top, we headed down the other side of the moutain to Apex Park. Here's an unknown rider coming down a STIL section of the Enchanted Forest trail:

And here's Jon contemplating the same section. This pic gives a better indication of the steepness:

That's all the pics I took. I wish I'd taken more of Enchanted Forest and Apex, but the trail is just too much fun to stop and take pics.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet, i dug Apex when i was out there (damn, it's been like 7 years). is lookout mtn near bergen park? i did that ride too (as well as buffalo creek, and mathew winters/hog back). good riding to be had on the front range. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
sweet, i dug Apex when i was out there (damn, it's been like 7 years). is lookout mtn near bergen park? i did that ride too (as well as buffalo creek, and mathew winters/hog back). good riding to be had on the front range. :thumb:
Bergen is fairly close to Lookout (~6/7 miles maybe?). Looks like you got a nice tour when you were here. Let me guess - you didn't have kids when you were out? :)

Good riding when the mountains are snowed in.

Or you have 3 kids. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Bergen is fairly close to Lookout (~6/7 miles maybe?). Looks like you got a nice tour when you were here. Let me guess - you didn't have kids when you were out? :)

Good riding when the mountains are snowed in.

Or you have 3 kids. :D
no kids, and a business trip. brought the bike out w/ me, got here early, and blew off the optional facility tour on the last day. 3 days of riding, and a Rockies baseball game. :thumb:

SkaredShtles said:
Hey Pixel - thanks for posting that picture of the group. It's been a fun couple days around here. :rolleyes:
hey SS, here's some bike clothing you should try out:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Hey Pixel - thanks for posting that picture of the group. It's been a fun couple days around here. :rolleyes:
Yeah...sorry about that. :o:

It didn't even cross my mind that people would rip on you for your shorts. I didn't think they were that short. If you look at the pic, it looks like the left leg got hiked up a bit from riding, making them look shorter than they are. I was just posting a pic of a few guys having fun. They're just jealous 'cause you've got way cooler trails to ride and they know it.