Quantcast

Chinchilla farming in the US?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've heard reports of people raising Chinchillas for fur companies, where the comany sends them the Chinchilla, they raise it, then they send 'em back after they're raised.

Again, this is what I've heard, but is it true you can make upwards of 20k a year doing this? Is it even legal in the US (California) anymore?

If so, does anyone have experience with this kind of thing and the work that's involved?

I understand that morally this is a controvertial issue but let's not go there.

Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I looked into Chinchilla farming a bit more and it's absolutely horrifying. Scratch that. I feel bad for even thinking about it.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
If you are stupid enough to believe that someone is going to give you an easy way to make money, then perhaps you would be interested in buying my "Guide to making 50k a year in your spare time raising chinchillas" for just 39.99?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Enjoy raising them. My roommate had one of those @#$%@$# rats for a while. She let the thing run rampant through the house, ****ting everywhere and causing havoc. They chew everything to keep their teeth sharp, including the legs on the couch. I'd be sitting on the couch and would jump when out of nowhere I'd feel the couch vibrating and hear the crunching of wood beneath me. I'd lift the couch to scare the thing away only to find about a pound of dried chinchilla crap scattered about. Blech.

Well, the thing finally chewed too much of the couch leg away... I was sitting on the couch, heard crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, shifted my weight a little to get up, and heard CRUNCH as the leg snapped and the couch gave way. Too bad I didn't know about the program of which you speak. I would have dug it up the night after the burial and shipped it off for some beer money.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BeerDemon said:
If you are stupid enough to believe that someone is going to give you an easy way to make money, then perhaps you would be interested in buying my "Guide to making 50k a year in your spare time raising chinchillas" for just 39.99?
Dude, that's what I've heard. Considering what coats sell for and the fact that hardly anyone would have enough lack of soul to do this, I could see making a fair bit of coin. As I said I'm NOT doing this so chill.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Bicyclist said:
Well I looked into Chinchilla farming a bit more and it's absolutely horrifying. Scratch that. I feel bad for even thinking about it.
Don't be a wuss. You have a chance to turn around the fur industry and let these animals die with dignity! Just think about it...free-range chinchilla fur coats. I think you'd have a corner on the market.

Plus they are cute and cuddly, your kids would love going out to take care of them.

Plus it is cheap and easy to kill them..nearly painless too
http://www.furisdead.com/expose.asp

The Ito

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Brian HCM#1 said:
They make nice coats.
and I'm sure anyone who had anything negative to say about the coats would be trying to hide the fact that they are jealous because they couldn't afford one.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
laura said:
and I'm sure anyone who had anything negative to say about the coats would be trying to hide the fact that they are jealous because they couldn't afford one.
You're right.

Dude, just build a shed out back and start growing chinchillias. That would be a pretty cool job.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I would suggest starting a trend of chinchilla chaps, with a matching hat of course.

Alas, I could find no suitable photos for effect. Use your imagination though, and it's funny. Heh. Chinchilla. The name alone...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So how many chinchillas would you have to raise/have at one time? And why is awful? Do you have to kill them yourself? Small cages?

I have no issues using and wearing fur and I have a large back yard.

J

JRB

I wonder if they taste like chicken, as every other animal that we don't regularly eat does.

J

JRB

fluff said:
Personally I don't see what the issue is with sweetshops.
There is nothing wrong. People used to complain about the fatties, but since they released that milk chocolate helps you focus, it's all good.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
fluff said:
It's training them to use the sewing machine that's the hard part.
uh oh. now some congressman who's up for re-election is going to see this and attach a rider about animal labor rights to the immigration bill that's all the rage now.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Ciaran said:
So how many chinchillas would you have to raise/have at one time? And why is awful? Do you have to kill them yourself? Small cages?

Yeah...you'll have to kill and skin them yourself. I guess you could kill them like the Chinese kill "racoon dogs"...grab them by the tail and smack them on the ground and bit then skin them alive.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
laura said:
Sorry honey if I have different views on things than you do. I was raised in a family where my mom, aunts and grandmothers all wore mink & chinchilla coats. They no longer wear them, but that's not the point here is it. Some people aren't into firs, oh well that's their choice, then again there are people who like them, and that too is their choice.

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
Sorry honey if I have different views on things than you do. I was raised in a family where my mom, aunts and grandmothers all wore mink & chinchilla coats. They no longer wear them, but that's not the point here is it. Some people aren't into firs, oh well that's their choice, then again there are people who like them, and that too is their choice.
I personally like pines more than firs, but it's hard to buy a real Christmas tree here that isn't a variant of some sort of fir.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Up here in Oregon, we like to wear jackets made from the scalps of Californians.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Brian HCM#1 said:
I've never had a major problem with you, but I'm not your honey and I don't apreciate the disrespect.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ciaran said:

the cages have certain design.

gotta put certain kinds of wood chips in the floor, otherwise it stains the chinchillas.

here in south america, from about 100 you´ll start to break even. from 200 you´ll make money.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
narlus said:
pete's bait shop's nightcrawlers ruled. he had cool minnow/shiner tanks too.
I go to bait shops to buy nightcrawlers for my box turtle. I look very out of place there-- just me and a handful of rubber-booted, cargo-vest-wearing fishermen. Then I discovered that some convenience stores have bait vending machines. For two bucks you can get just about any breed of slimy creatures you want :thumb: