Quantcast

Chinese Carbon?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have many people bought Chinese carbon bits? I'm looking at the option of picking up a carbon roadie and some deep dish carbon wheels and want to see if anybody has exerience ordering directly. I've been looking at www.dengfu.com, which has some amazing clones and the prices are great. $1000 for an unbranded carbon frame and wheels is hard to pass by.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A guy I used to pedal roadies with had one. Looked cool, rode alright according to him. But I have heard bad things about the internal routing and warranty work if you get a lemon.

Wheels I know nothing of...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
warranty on cheap chinese made stuff?

dont even think about it... my experience (both personal and professional) when dealing with suppliers from China has taught me to not expect a warranty, not any sort of sensible customer service... its part of the low-cost deal.

china direct-to-consumer cut-rate factories are that, cut-rate factories selling straight to the public.. They dont have much experience dealing with the logistics, warranties and reverse-logistics for returns/recalls/etc.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
warranty on cheap chinese made stuff?

dont even think about it... my experience (both personal and professional) when dealing with suppliers from China has taught me to not expect a warranty, not any sort of sensible customer service... its part of the low-cost deal.

china direct-to-consumer cut-rate factories are that, cut-rate factories selling straight to the public.. They dont have much experience dealing with the logistics, warranties and reverse-logistics for returns/recalls/etc.
Some probably don't even have much experience building carbon things.

:D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I wouldn't do it if I was a Wookie. Mainly for the warranty issues JohnE brought up.
At this point, given I can't find a frame, I was thinking about just getting a set of deep dish wheels. I could use the extra aero on the tri bike, because I need all the help I can get.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know - cheap Chinese rims are SO cheap that you can simply consider them disposable, IMO. But that's because I live like a tycoon. :homer:
My thoughts exactly. Roadie deep dish are a bit more expensive, but yeah, same concept.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think I've found a few Al options for the frame that would allow me to sell the Look for more than I'm spending on any of those frames. That will leave me with extra money for the wheels...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
from some of the things i've read those knock offs are a coin toss as to what you're gonna get, sometimes good, sometimes bad. if it's a road bike then maybe checking on some of the other road sites might give you some better first hand knowledge from other owners and their experiences. my 2 cents is to stay away from it. prices are alluring but why take that chance.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Buy a Fugazi. Oh wait, they are not for sale. Check out Fezzari with top end bits, sorta Italian like name and inexpensive chinese frames. I thought one last summer but bought the Yeti instead.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In related news, I wonder what effect a substantial tariff increase on imported products might have on the bike industry? Like most of his campaign promises, I don't think Drumpf will go through it, but if he does...may want to grab as many crabon and fancy hydroformed Taiwanese alum frames as you can.

***edit - yes, the lizard people paid me to post that alarmist statement.

Last edited:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Deep section rims. Not deep dish. That's pizza. China makes some fantastic carbon frames and rims. But how do you know if you are getting top level parts or just shitty knock off junk. When the head tube blows off the frame is one way to tell you bought junk. You don't want to do that.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Check over the geometry closely, I have a fee friends riding China Carbon XC frames and they seem decent but the geometry is all whack. otherwise stay away from the cheapest of the cheap and run it. Unless of corse you can get a close out frame from Steap and cheap or the like for a decent price, then do that for the resale value.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
On a lighter note, my friend had a decal machine cutter thingy, and had "Chinnarello" pasted on the downtube of his bike, in the same font as the pretentious Italian frame makers...took me a year to notice...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I grabbed some mtb rims from Xiamen carbon speed aka Peter Xu. They have been great, built up well, and are reasonably light and plenty durable even with shitty thin walled tires. Would buy again, fast shipping, A++++++

Currently shopping for 50mm x 25mm road wheels. Have my eye on an ebay set, but the ebay stuff scares me a little more, as it's ultra cheap. My stuff from peter set me back just over 300, and his name is his reputation so a couple of bad reviews and his game is shot. Joe Ebayer is a little more fly by night.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I grabbed some mtb rims from Xiamen carbon speed aka Peter Xu. They have been great, built up well, and are reasonably light and plenty durable even with shitty thin walled tires. Would buy again, fast shipping, A++++++

Currently shopping for 50mm x 25mm road wheels. Have my eye on an ebay set, but the ebay stuff scares me a little more, as it's ultra cheap. My stuff from peter set me back just over 300, and his name is his reputation so a couple of bad reviews and his game is shot. Joe Ebayer is a little more fly by night.
Same open mold stuff. www.dengfubikes.com
I'm looking at these specifically: http://dengfubikes.com/CARBON_WHEELS/225.html
$685 shipped for bult wheels. Not too bad...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, that's exactly right. There seems to be an "Open mold" that dengfu, hongfu, xiamen speed, yoeleo, and a few others all use. I have confidence in that one. You can even check the specs on most of their products and they're virtually identical. There are some other products floating around, mostly on ebay, that are wicked cheap and therefore raise some questions. They seem to be a bit different than the rest of the open mold products, and that makes me wonder if they're the blems, knockoffs, or cheaper derivatives of the "real thing".

Those wheels are a pretty good deal with cx-rays and DT hubs. I was looking at yoeleo at just over 600 for 50mm wheels with cx-rays and novatec 712s, but then yoeleo is all different now. I might have to look into those. I think Peter was at 622 without CXrays. The ebay wheels I'm looking at are only $410.