Quantcast

Chocolate opinions

J

JRB

My mom in law has a chocolate shop. She has decided to do a truffle with white chocolate outside of a raspberry/chipotle pepper center. Does any one else think this sounds disgusting? I am pushing for lime and Julie is pushing for lemon. Wouldn't these or strawberry make sense??? Pepper does not belong in candy and fruit does not belong in salsa. Do the monkeys agree??? Should I stop her???

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
loco said:
My mom in law has a chocolate shop. She has decided to do a truffle with white chocolate outside of a raspberry/chipotle pepper center. Does any one else think this sounds disgusting? I am pushing for lime and Julie is pushing for lemon. Wouldn't these or strawberry make sense??? Pepper does not belong in candy and fruit does not belong in salsa. Do the monkeys agree??? Should I stop her???
it sounds gross, but i have had chilli peppers in choclate before and its realy good

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm not a fan of fruit-and-chocolate combos in the first place, so I can't even imagine how horrible that chipotle pepper concoction will be. Please don't let it happen.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
white chocolate and raspberry........oh man.......i'm drooling.

a friend of mine from high school is the son of some apparently-big chocolate importer. the guy has made serious $$ doing whatever it is he does.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
It's been a trend as of late to incorporate chiles and other such spicy flavors into chocolates.........

But the Mayas did it first:
Hundreds of years ago, a member of the nobility in Central America might have demanded from a servant a "chile and vanilla cacao water, with a touch of hallucinogenic mushrooms." Translation: cocoa beans blended in cold water, flavored with hot chiles, vanilla and potent mushrooms.

I'll have mine with hallucinogenic mushrooms and cayenne peppers

She's riding with a trend right now..........

I can't say that I have tried the new stuff, but I *know* that I would love the truffle without the chipotle.

This thread is useless without samples.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
Sweet and spicy is a match made in heaven............

And fruit is often killer-good in salsa.

You should broaden your horizons, man.

-S.S.-

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
It's like skiing on sand, dude. ugh

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-

i second this. while i think i would prefer a dark chocolate outer with a chili center, it sounds great to me and i would definitely try one.

J

JRB

OK - I will tell her that the "weird" monkeys think it is a go. ;) I'll try to sort out some samples some day too. I am keeping the chili thing a secret though.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco said:
That sounds so nasty... :blah:

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Pepper and bitter chocolate is actually quite tasty. I always put a dash of cayenne in my hot cocoa and very little sugar...but white chocolate isn't really chocolate. I'd have to agree with the others that said it would be better with dark chocolate.

Either way, I'd try it!

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
narlus said:
anyone ever hear of mole sauce?
Right on narlus. That's exactly where I was gonna go with this. Chocolate in the mole, w/lots of ancho, and some cinnamon! YEAAAHHHH!

Actually, the truffle doesn't sound that good to me, but sweet and hot go together like Szechuan and Szechuan!

You ever buy candied jalapeno slices? Get a jar, pour them over cream cheese, and serve w/wheat thins. YUM.

Chocolate goes good w/stout too (Young's double chocolate, duh), and other darker beers (Abita Turbodog is a great example).

Go get a Cabernet w/lots of tannin (think Chilean), drink w/a pepper-crusted steak, and follow w/some dark chocolate. Gurgle gurgle.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fathead said:
<snip>

Go get a Cabernet w/lots of tannin (think Chilean), drink w/a pepper-crusted steak, and follow w/some dark chocolate. Gurgle gurgle.
A good meaty Shiraz would work well, too....... :drool:

Good God pepper crusted steak with vino is a killer combo. :drool: some more :D

-S.S.-

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
narlus said:
anyone ever hear of mole sauce?
is that where austin powers wants to take something off that one guy's face, chop it up into little pieces and grind it into something?

...oh wait, that's guacaMOLEy i'm thinking of....

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
dh girlie said:
AHAHAHAHAH!
dude, one time, i was at a club with my friend and i saw this guy that had a mole the size of the guy's in the movie and i calmly turned around to my friend and go, "Moley, Moley, Moley" right before she looked up and saw it herself. we almost died laughing so hard!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
loco said:
Pepper does not belong in candy and fruit does not belong in salsa.
No way man, this is a comment from a closed mind. If you keep this attitude you will miss out on lots of tasty stuff in your life. Chances are good you will eat two or three meals a day for the rest of your life. You can afford to try something different now and then. No matter what your next meal is not that far off.

Have you ever tried mole? As a bunch of others mentioned, chocolate and smoky peppers work great together in mole. If you didn't know it had chocolate, you'd probably eat it and love it, but because the ingredients "don't belong together" you'd go in thinking it's gonna be nasty. It's self-fulfilling.

Like a lot of foods, salsa for me is all about the balance. For salso that balance is between sweet, tart and spicy (with a little salt in there too). The hotter the spice, the sweeter the sweet needs to be to get that balance, and good fresh fruit is loaded with sugar and is very sweet. My fave is mango/papaya/pineapple/habanero salsa, MMMMMMM. Those ingredients, maybe a little chopped red onion, balanced out with some fresh lime juice (for the tart), pinch of salt, and you're done.

If you want to impress your mom-in-law (and if you can do it with a straight face), say something like, "Well, I can appreciate how you are playing off the well-established combination found in traditional mole sauces, and as long as the pepper is not too overpowering that it upsets the overall balance it could be good. I'd need to try it to say if I like it, but no matter what it would definitely be interesting and a conversation starter."

You also might suggest dark or milk chocolate. Not sure how appetizing it'll be if it's a combo of white chocolate and the usual brick color of chipotle and adobo. Will probably look like...I dunno...bloody mud or something.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
mmm it sounds wonderful! but I vote for dark chocolate, or maybe dark with a little white swirled in. Or maybe white chocolate flavoured a bit with a good rum. mmmm.

I found a recipe for chile that calls for dark chocolate...but I'm not brave enough yet to try it. Maybe next week! :)

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I don't like chocolate that much and it makes me increase stool time and if you put a pepper in chocolate that wouldn't turn out very well in my opinion