Quantcast

Chomolungma Challenge Details!

Jan 3, 2012
--- PRESS RELEASE ---
View attachment 110988
The Chomolungma Challenge
An Epic Downhill Endurance Race
Presented by: Snowshoe Bike Park

Snowshoe, West Virginia: On Saturday, August 25th, 2012, over one hundred amateur and professional mountain bikers will line up for the shotgun start of the first annual Chomolungma Challenge! Sitting high atop the Allegheny Mountains, the Snowshoe Mountain Village will be the starting point for this Epic Downhill Endurance Race during which athletes (competing solo or on teams of 2 to 4) will test their skill and stamina to win their share of over $10,000 in Cash and Prizes.

“Chomolungma” (the traditional Tibetan name of the most dominant geographic feature on the planet, Mount Everest) stands 29,035’ above sea level and is considered to be one of the ultimate physical challenges on Earth. The winners of the Chomolungma Challenge will be the first in their class to descend the equivalent vertical elevation through the World Class Terrain of the Snowshoe Bike Park’s Western Territory where 1,500 vertical feet per lap of fun and challenging terrain await.

With $7,000 in Cash guaranteed and thousands more in Prizes already in the purse, the Chomolungma Challenge is shaping up to be one of the Premier Bike Park Endurance Events of 2012. Here’s the best part... when the race is over; the party is just getting started! Our friends at Red Bull will be hosting the awards party in the Village and the Red Bull Girls will be on hand mixing up your favorite recovery formulas.

Visit the http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/races/chomolungma-challenge.htm for details and go to https://www.bikereg.com/Net/16431 to register today!

Snowshoe Mountain Resort is the Premier Mountain Resort in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast Regions and home to the World Class Snowshoe Bike Park. Snowshoe Mountain offers a wide variety of lodging options, activities, and amenities for the entire family. Visit us at www.snowshoemtn.com or find us on Facebook for more information.

Last edited:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I was interested in this when I first saw it...I kinda assumed it was going to be a more Super D type race but it looks more like an endurance race eh? Kinda like the 24 hour ski races. I was thinking if it was a Super D race I was going to rock my Spec Enduro but if its on the Western Territory I would say a full on DH bike would be ideal. Any idea what track(s) its going down? Or is it just whichever you feel are the fastest ones? And if i read the site correctly it will be $50 to register and $25 for the lift ticket (if you dont have a season pass)?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I was interested in this when I first saw it...I kinda assumed it was going to be a more Super D type race but it looks more like an endurance race eh? Kinda like the 24 hour ski races.
The info on their page says you have a 12 hour time limit to complete 29,000 vertical feet, the western territory is 1500, so 19.3 runs faster than anyone else should win it.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I'm in, but would like more details. Are there going to be specific courses taped off or is the entire western territory game? What time is the start (will lights be needed)? Those two questions jump out at me...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm in, but would like more details. Are there going to be specific courses taped off or is the entire western territory game? What time is the start (will lights be needed)? Those two questions jump out at me...
Based on the 12 hour time limit I'd think it was 7-7 or 8-8 so at that time of year you probably wouldn't need lights. Just a guess.

Jan 3, 2012
There will be multiple trail options to choose from for this event and individual race strategy development will need to account for skill, fatigue, endurance, bike and component maintenance, current trail conditions, course congestion, etc. The plan is for the manditory racer meeting to take place in the village at 7am and the race will begin by 7:15am. There will be 12 hour time limit on the event so the race will conclude during daylight so no lights will be needed. Thought was given to having a portion of this event last until after dusk, but we felt the expense to the racers to have to purchase or rent headlights was not worth it in the end. The goals in creating this event were (1) affordable registration (2) large prize pool (3) fun atmosphere. We hope you enjoy it!