Quantcast

choose: macneil or volume

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Now that I finally got some coin gathered up, I have been digging through the shop catalogs for a new bmx frame. I was originally going to order a S&M Bennett but found out I could have access to a whole bunch of other stuff (fit, fbm, macneil, federal, t1, kink, solid, wtp, volume,...). The cheapest (lowest cost to me) brands by far were macneil, volume and federal. I am debating whether I should go with a Macneil Miron, Volume Compton or Destroyer. I am leaning towards the Miron but would like to hear any positive/negative experiences with any of the 3. It will be used mostly for skatepark/street with some occasional dirtjumping. I am 6', 180lbs and not as smooth as I should be.

Nacon

Chimp
Mar 13, 2002
Austin, TX
The miron has a shorter TT and CS than the volume frames, which may work OK for you. I would guess that you would probably like around a 21" TT (I'm 5'9" on a 20.5").

The volume frames have pretty long chainstays, which make them a bit more work for me to manual, but I'm a bit shorter than you and weigh 135lbs, so there you go.

Also, since you say you're not "as smooth as you should be" sometimes, you might watch out for frames that have detangler tabs on the headtube (if you run one anyway), as they can bend if you land wrong, get pissed & throw your bike, etc...If I remember right, the volumes don't have these, but not sure.

T1 offers the barcode in the longer TT the volumes offer (21"), w/ the shorter CS of the MacNeil (14.25"), which could give you plenty of room upfront and manual easy as hell. And being that T1 is a local company, for me anyway, I'd recommend you look at them again, since you can get a deal.

Hope this helps