Quantcast

Choose me a frame for Northstar ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Rode my 01' XL Bullit last two seasons @ Northstar. I am not a hucker or seious jumper just want to flow thru the rocks. Just looking for some frame recomendations. FYI I am 6'4" so I like big bikes. Any help would be great. Thanx

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Pick up a used V10 or VP Free. I would think either of those would be perfect Northstar bikes. Like you, I've only ridden there on a Bullit although the later model with a 5th Element and a little more travel.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a Free with 888's and DHX. I was stoked at northstar. But, at some points I wish I had a little more. But I would agree a Free or a V10 would be perfect.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
V10, Demo8, Morewood, Turner DHR, basically, any DH race bike will feel great at N*. I had fun on my M1 two years ago and my Demo8 was fine last year. I'll be on it again this year. Heck, even a Specialized BigHit, the new one, would be killer. Just search the DH forum for pop DH race bike choices.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
this is probably one of the few times you wont see a Sunday imediately advocated. That said, find something that has a really good balance of cornering and large bump absorbtion. I'd suggest the V10, Turner, or Demo.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
the only advice i can give is don't try to get a bike for n* AND your everyday riding. i used the same bike last year for riding n* once a week and for around town rides and right now it is totally beat.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SBDHrida said:
this is probably one of the few times you wont see a Sunday imediately advocated. That said, find something that has a really good balance of cornering and large bump absorbtion. I'd suggest the V10, Turner, or Demo.
Regarding the Sunday I think he means it might not be the greatest due to low bb clearance in the rocks. He is right to an extent but some people don't seem to mind. My vp-free with a 888 is fine but I agree with total heckler that a V10 will be better if you are talking purely for Northstar (as opposed to a more all around useful bike). The Turner and Cuervo are also good calls, personally have no time on a Demo. Any of these will be a significant improvement.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
amydalayna said:
the only advice i can give is don't try to get a bike for n* AND your everyday riding. i used the same bike last year for riding n* once a week and for around town rides and right now it is totally beat.
I did that last season with my Bullit. I have now retired it as a trail bike.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
keen said:
I did that last season with my Bullit. I have now retired it as a trail bike.
same thing. bullit. but i'm trying to give it some love so i get another season out of it.
can't afford a new bike right now. someone's gotta pay the bills.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
same thing. bullit. but i'm trying to give it some love so i get another season out of it.
can't afford a new bike right now. someone's gotta pay the bills.
Mr. Amydalayna sitting on his duff, drinkin' beer and smokin' weed? I knew he was no good for you, girl!

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
old style V10, I wouldn't go for a DHR. I ride a DHR, but that low single pivot hangs up on rocks. Old style V10s are tough, tons of travel, long so you will fit it really well.....easy to ride too all you ahve to do is stand there centered....

-Ryan

also a lot of newer DH bikes have lower BBs to corner and you want a high one. If you are down for it Karpiels are prolly the best N* bikes...

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
santacruzer87 said:
old style V10, I wouldn't go for a DHR. I ride a DHR, but that low single pivot hangs up on rocks. Old style V10s are tough, tons of travel, long so you will fit it really well.....easy to ride too all you ahve to do is stand there centered....

-Ryan

also a lot of newer DH bikes have lower BBs to corner and you want a high one. If you are down for it Karpiels are prolly the best N* bikes...
I called SC directly and was told a V10 was probably a little small for me. I sat on an 05' and the bike felt small. SC used to have the pre 05' Geometry listed which made the bike out to be bigger than the later offerings. I have been taking a hard look @ VP Free's (size XL) may be a good ride in DH trim for N*.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Karpiel.

All the cool kids are riding them.

Plus I hear jan will pop outta the trees and give you a handjob if you are riding one at N*.

Must be why brian still has his...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I thought Jan was providing a different service to people who bought his bikes.

I heard it had something to do with "rear entry" and "no lube".

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
v10 or a sunday. sundays are sick bikes ive rode the team and the world cup both are amazing. v10s are pretty sick to. go test ride some bikes and see what you like. both are dh race bikes so they'll feel home in the tough rocks of north star and they'll pin it through the dry dusty stuff. both can handle anything at north star.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
VP-Free is a good choice. Mine is solid with the 888 and the 5th Element Coil (probably keep making those for decades).

I like that it is cheaper than the Blur, Nomad, and the V-10, of course...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
Mr. Amydalayna sitting on his duff, drinkin' beer and smokin' weed? I knew he was no good for you, girl!
don't you know it. i kid you not... I worked on rebuilding my fork last night while he sat in the living room in front of the fire with the cat watching the olympics.

if mr.amydalayna posted he would back everyone up and say get a V10. but he's too busy drinkin beer and smokin weed.