Quantcast

Choosing a BMX Dirt-Jump frame...

AlStar250

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
Hey guys thanks for helping me out... My 15yr old (130lbs) is wanting to build a 20" BMX Dirt-Jump bike (or at least one that can handle the rigors of jumping it) instead of using his BMX Race cruiser. He's saving his money so he's on a budget of sorts and he's been eyeing the DK Octane as his frame of choice, as it's $200 price tag is right in his range. What do you guys think about this frame, or building a DJ bike with an aluminum frame in general? He says he still wants to keep it somewhat light, and I've told him weight savings decreases durability (generaly speaking) and he may want to look at a good chromoly frame. What do you guys recommend in the around $200 frame category for a nice, durable, somewhat light DJ frame? Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'd definitely recommend chromoly for a DJ frame. That DK octane is crazy light and I'm not sure how it would hold up. It's really not designed for dirt jumping. There are quite a few chromo frames around the $200 price range that are around 5 lbs or less. That's plenty light for this type of bike.

Just browsing around Dan's, I see the Black Eye, Eastern Dragon, Mutiny Sinister (that'd be my choice), and Sputnic Satellite that may fit the bill.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
how bout this for a deal:

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/766708723.html

terrible one frame/ s&m stem/ many extras - $125 (south austin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-766708723@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-07-23, 11:01AM CDT

i have an older (2003) terrible 1 frame and an s&m redneck light stem for sale. considering i'm too old and out of shape to ride anymore i'm letting this stuff go cheap. i believe the frame is a 20.5. it's been repainted in rust colored primer, i never got around to painting it. it does not have a integrated headset. frame also has a 39 tooth kink sprocket and a 3 piece crank already installed.

i'll also throw in some t1 handlebars that i stripped down and refinished clear, and a skyway mag with tire at no additional cost. photos upon request.