Quantcast

Choosing a dSLR camera

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
So I've decided to blow a grand or so on a new digital camera. I've got it narrowed down to the following (all the prices come from bestpricecameras.com):

Nikon D70s, 18-70 Nikkor lens, 28-80 and 70-300 generic lenses, $1079 w/128mb card
Canon D20, EF-S 18-55 lens, $1100 w/1gb card
Canon Rebel XT, Tamron 18-200 lens, $1000 w/256 mb card

I've shot on a regular 35mm SLR for about 5 years (Canon EOS 650), so I've got some accessories lying around for the Canons (flash, more lenses, etc), but I really like the Nikon :drool:. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to what I should get? How about the website - has anyone even used the website I'm looking at?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do a search. This has come up multiple times on the :monkey: in the last few months.

Edit: One thing I will say - if you're getting three lenses for the Nikon for that price, it's very likely the other two (the kit lens is decent) are going to be pretty low quality.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Definitely do a search, there's some good information in the forums.

Just one thing that I always mention when people are comparing the kits for cameras, is that the 18-70 Nikkor is a very high quality, boardering on pro level lens. The 18-55 Canon is a mediocre consumer lens, as is the 18-55 Nikkor that comes with the D50.

When you compare prices, keep that in mind. That 18-70 is, if I recall correctly, a $400 piece of glass.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
manhattanprjkt83 said:
whatever you do...DO NOT do business with broadway photo.
I had a good experience with Broadway Photo when I bought my Canon S500 from them. Why do you not recommend them?

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Radarr said:
I've shot on a regular 35mm SLR for about 5 years (Canon EOS 650), so I've got some accessories lying around for the Canons (flash, more lenses, etc)
The Rebel XT is the hands down winner on this fact alone.

I've shot and REALLY like the Rebel XT alot right now.
Its a nice prosumer camera all around and picked up alot of the nice features the higher end ones have had.

Then all you have to do is go out and buy Photoshop CS2 and you're rockin. :thumb:

Also CF is like $50 for a gig now.
Who cares what it comes with?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Thank god someone started this thread. RM has been completely devoid of any meaningful discussion of dSLR cameras. Its unbeliebable..... what?......There have been?........How many?.......a million of them?.....That seems like a lot not to find when you search for them.......oh they didn't search for them.....

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Canon's also just announced a new full-frame (no cropping factor) dSLR called the 5D, which is what I am currently drooling over. I think it'll be priced higher than the 20D, though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Barbaton said:
Canon's also just announced a new full-frame (no cropping factor) dSLR called the 5D, which is what I am currently drooling over. I think it'll be priced higher than the 20D, though.
Higher than the 20D? Yeah, by a bit ;) - current estimated MSRP is $3200, body only. :eek:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
binary visions said:
Higher than the 20D? Yeah, by a bit ;) - current estimated MSRP is $3200, body only. :eek:
Yeah, I was hoping they'd price it at the 20Ds price point and scale the rest of the line from there, but I went to B&H on Tues and they didn't have an exact price, but guessed it'd be about what you said. :mumble:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DRB said:
Thank god someone started this thread. RM has been completely devoid of any meaningful discussion of dSLR cameras. Its unbeliebable..... what?......There have been?........How many?.......a million of them?.....That seems like a lot not to find when you search for them.......oh they didn't search for them.....
Dude. What's with all the negativity? Is it Friday already? :think:

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
DRB said:
Why click on the thread then? It was clear in his subject line what the thread was about. Posting just to be a jerk is at least as bad as not running a search for a topic.

To answer the original question- Get the 20D. Much more rugged body, 5 fps is awesome if you will be shooting sports and the size is much better. The XT is too small for an SLR and the first time you have a heavier lens on it you would see what I mean. The 20D has better layout for the controls, making it much quicker to change, F-stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

Better yet buy mine for full retail so I can afford a new 5D :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
seabass said:
Why click on the thread then? It was clear in his subject line what the thread was about. Posting just to be a jerk is at least as bad as not running a search for a topic.

To answer the original question- Get the 20D. Much more rugged body, 5 fps is awesome if you will be shooting sports and the size is much better. The XT is too small for an SLR and the first time you have a heavier lens on it you would see what I mean. The 20D has better layout for the controls, making it much quicker to change, F-stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

Better yet buy mine for full retail so I can afford a new 5D :D
I've got a question about digital cameras mr. Seabass?

SHUT UP!

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
Forgot to add. Buy the body only if possible and spend a few extra bucks on a faster lens. I replaced mine with a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and it gave me alot more flexability.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I bought a 20D on the recommendation of Forest at MTBR.com. It is considerably more than the D70 or the Rebel, but for action sports, it is the best prosumer camera that doesn't cost four thousand bucks.

I went with the kit lense, since I broke the bank stepping it up, but it is a sweet camera. took this shot last Saturday with it:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
pbr said:
I bought a 20D on the recommendation of Forest at MTBR.com. It is considerably more than the D70 or the Rebel, but for action sports, it is the best prosumer camera that doesn't cost four thousand bucks.

I went with the kit lense, since I broke the bank stepping it up, but it is a sweet camera. took this shot last Saturday with it:
that's very cool very cool indeed. Looks almost 3d.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
pbr said:

That is at Dustin's right? I was out there the day before. :thumb:

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
DRB said:
:nopity:

Man, what an ARSE. :D

To everyone who actually posted something useful, thanks. Using the info and links provided, I decided to go with the 20D, just so that I can use my lenses and whatnot.

Question 2 is still out there, has anyone used bestpricecameras.com?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Radarr said:
:nopity:

Man, what an ARSE. :D

To everyone who actually posted something useful, thanks. Using the info and links provided, I decided to go with the 20D, just so that I can use my lenses and whatnot.

See look what you started you freakin' communist.... if only you had searched first.... ;)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Radarr said:
No... but they are probably like every other low-price online camera shop. They are based out of New York or New Jersey. They give you a good price on the camera, but if you want a warranty it'll cost ya more. Plus they don't warranty it - it's a 3rd person who does it.

I took the risk on my Wife's camera and it stopped working about 10 months later... luckily that was still within the manufacturer's warranty!

But that was a $200 camera (before case, rechargeable batteries and memory above the stock 8mb), don't know if I would risk that on a $1000+ camera...

EDIT - when I say the warrenty will cost you more - I mean more than it would normally... one of my freinds (professional photographer) looked at online stuff when he was starting out - ended up getting a better deal at BestBuy (or Circut city - I forget which). Just an FYI