Quantcast

Chris King 1.5....Preloader ?

Oct 14, 2007
http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_onepointfive.html

I was debating weather i should get a Woodman, CaneCreek or King Headset

I was initially going for the woodman but their B.O. for another 2 months....So i narrowed my search to CC and King...
I had some bad experiences in the past with their Ti headset so I'm a little skeptical with going back with them but they do have a form of personalized consummation in all those colors they offer....

Is anyone familiar with their new system of Star nut?
has anyone tried the CC double x or any other CC headset??

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_onepointfive.html

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i just saw the ck headset and have to say i really like it...i would probably go that route, although the chris king is pretty badass...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
oh one more thing...check out the new crank bros unit coming out that thing looks really clean as well...

lots of fresh stuff out there...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
The preloader on the CK is pretty cool, unless you have a butted fork. I have a Marzocchi DJ2 and it wouldnt work so I had to use a regular star nut. The CK 1.5 is similar to all their other headsets, they are going to last a long time.

The CC is much cheaper coming in at about $100 and is a good headset with sealed bearings. Dont know about a long term life of a CC but it shouldnt be bad.

I like how CK offers colors and their customer service. Get the King!

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I have one on my reducer, didn't use it though, weighs a shed load more than an SFN.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ck Preloader= Ck version of a headlock= unnecessary.Never have i had a startnut system come loose, not when set up properly. Remember the preload isnt what keeps the setup tight, its just that.....Preload. I tested it myself I took my top cap off for two weeks of riding, never came loose nor lost any preload. As long as you properly torque the stem when your dont seting up, you have no need for any headlock system

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Ck Preloader= Ck version of a headlock= unnecessary.Never have i had a startnut system come loose, not when set up properly. Remember the preload isnt what keeps the setup tight, its just that.....Preload.
I've had a star nut system come loose and fail (the star nut itself). I use headlocks on all bikes now because they don't weigh a lot, and they ensure that everything stays "preloaded". I probably have mine tighter than what you could get a star nut, but it's never let me down.

I agree though, on "most" bikes the star nut is fine. On anything DH/FR where the front end takes a beating it's just added insurance that things stay tight. The fact the CK gives you one with their headsets is pretty sweet.........after all you're spending what $150?

dirtjumper22

Chimp
Jan 12, 2008
go wit the king. i got it and all i can say is wow. the bottom pull is amazing and there is absolutely no play. cc sucks

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm considering one, too. Here's some more info I just got from CK.

1.5" total stack height is 36mm
1.5" upper stack height 21.2mm
1.5" lower stack height 14.8mm

1.5" Headset weight 230g
Preloader 72g
Larger Preloader anchor plate 9g
Small Preloader anchor plate 3g

toby

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm debating right now between the CK and the new Crank bros, on my EP form the Claimed weight of the CB headset is 90g and it's 50 bucks. The EP form for the CK says 300g and it's $90 bucks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've had a star nut system come loose and fail (the star nut itself). I use headlocks on all bikes now because they don't weigh a lot, and they ensure that everything stays "preloaded". I probably have mine tighter than what you could get a star nut, but it's never let me down.

I agree though, on "most" bikes the star nut is fine. On anything DH/FR where the front end takes a beating it's just added insurance that things stay tight. The fact the CK gives you one with their headsets is pretty sweet.........after all you're spending what $150?
Man, just remember that if your running your headlock too tight, your going to wear out your headset. Even with a Headlock system, the torque for the preload is the same.

Edit... I can see using a headlock on something with an Integrated stem setup, but anything with a standard stem...... Its all about tightening the stem properly

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
In 2001, we were among the few companies to develop the onepointfive standard...

We took our time in developing a 1.5 headset. From the beginning we wanted the design to include all the qualities that have made King sealed bearing headsets so trustworthy.

:wtf: :crazy:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Man, just remember that if your running your headlock too tight, your going to wear out your headset. Even with a Headlock system, the torque for the preload is the same.

Edit... I can see using a headlock on something with an Integrated stem setup, but anything with a standard stem...... Its all about tightening the stem properly
I agree 100%. The torque is the same no matter which method is used.

On integrated stems I can see a headlock being a better choice. In fact that was something I thought about when running the integrated setup. So far so good though.

I read that last post about King taking 7 years to jump on the band wagon. Like it would have been real hard to design a headset larger, with larger bearings and have it produced. I love King products, but jesus they take forever to get with it. From 150mm hubs to the 1.5 headsets..........and their woes with the Bottom Bracket.