Quantcast

Chris King BB sleeve

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i bought a King 68/73 BB and was curious on how i can use it for a 83mm frame.
when i called them up to ask about buying a sleeve for a 83mm BB, they said they dont make one in that size because "83mm frames are different than 68/73 frames."

ive dont this with Race Face bb's and have had no issues (since they obviously make 83mm BB's.)

this is what that sleeve looks like.........any ideas?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's just there to be a dust seal. You could

a) Leave it out and not care
b) Try a couple from say, Shimano, RF, etc and see if one happens to be the right length

I'd try b) if you have any lying around, but I wouldn't put any effort towards it. If you don't have a working one on hand, go for a).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ill try a Race Face 83mm sleeve that i have, but i doubt its going to work. the CK sleeve fits into the cups a bit different than the RF's or Shimanos.....

i think ill just try it without the sleeve and drill a drain hole in the the frame.

thanks all!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey guys keep in mind that since it's grease gun compatable. In order to do so the back side of the bearing is not fully sealed with a rubber gasket normally associated with King bearings. There is a nylon washer that's fit tight up against the backside of the bearing so that under pressure the grease can get in, and out the front seal. Water could be able to get in without the spacer. Therefore the spacer tube IS a seal. Use the grease gun often if the spacer isn't used! I have a King BB, a 73, i haven't tried to fit another brand's spacer tube in there but it's a good idea to try to mod it to fit!!

Krispy

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hey guys keep in mind that since it's grease gun compatable. In order to do so the back side of the bearing is not fully sealed with a rubber gasket normally associated with King bearings. There is a nylon washer that's fit tight up against the backside of the bearing so that under pressure the grease can get in, and out the front seal. Water could be able to get in without the spacer. Therefore the spacer tube IS a seal. Use the grease gun often if the spacer isn't used! I have a King BB, a 73, i haven't tried to fit another brand's spacer tube in there but it's a good idea to try to mod it to fit!!

Krispy
yeah i noticed that washer inside the cup. i guess having to inject moar grease in there is something ill have to live with to use it in a 83mm frame.

why cant they make one for a 83mm frame?? whats so different w/ the sizes?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They just need the demand for it, it will probably come eventually.
the guy i talked to started talking about the loads being different on a 83mm compared to a 68/73mm and how its "different" than a normal mtb setup.
i started zoning off mid-way through the conversation