Quantcast

Chris King headset for DH?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
not for nothing-4 chris king headsets

all pounded in with a rubber mallet

none creak (yeti 303-fox 40) (demo 9 fox 40) (cowan DS 66vf) (big**** spec 66vf)

didnt ream or face anything

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Seriously some people have had good experiences and I was the same with my trail bikes long time fan until my big bike had issues!

I won't go there again, unless there's some improvements and then as others have said there's many good options at a reasonable price! Everyone to there own, I will suggest other wise if I was asked though based on the type of bike to be used, just too risky!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Show me an unflawed product.
And you think that reasoning is legitimate?
"Oh well, most parts suck, so buy this thing - it sucks too".
Nice one... I'm surprised as usually you have a pretty no-bs attitude when it comes to stuff like this.

PS - I could show you a long list of unflawed FSA headsets. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And you think that reasoning is legitimate?
"Oh well, most parts suck, so buy this thing - it sucks too".
Nice one... I'm surprised as usually you have a pretty no-bs attitude when it comes to stuff like this.

No his reasoning is that the oreo brings together (in circular format mind you), the delicious CHOCOLATE cookie crunch of two wonderful wafers.........but oh .......oh.....we're not done.......between these wafers lies a sumptuous layer of sugary goo that both highlights the aforementioned chocolaty goodness as well as providing a level of enjoyment all it's own. When have you ever seen an oreo creak? never

What he's saying is that oreos are the perfect shape to use AS headsets. The sugary goo holds it all together.

Right monk?

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
has anyone tried the Crank Bros Opium(DH) or Sage(FR)? They seem too light to serve their purpose, yet come with a 5 year warranty...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just to beat a dead horse here, but going for the light CK headset...... Little comparision. CH NOthreadset, 98 grams for standard 1 1/8 102 grams for the ti version, FSA Pig headset, 189 grams for the 1 1/8 version. Prices? well the CK is about 120 plus depending on where you get, the Pig on the other hand 25 bucks average price. Seems like alot of cash for about a 90 gram difference. Now I am all for those guys that are into weight savings, but damn there comes a time when teh cash just isnt worth it, were talking hat two tenths of a pound???

If you want to go that route, Cane crek S3 average price 30 dollars, 110 grams sealed bearigns and all.

Want steel cups, Cane creeks-1 average price 40 bucks

I guess I will jsut never understand this need some people have for overpriced parts. Be it bling factor, cool factor, you think its the best factor. I will never spend more than 45 bucks on a headset, not when there are so many great options that are out there under 45 dollars, that work the first time, and are still in teh same weight ranges of those hundred dollar plus headsets.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
has anyone tried the Crank Bros Opium(DH) or Sage(FR)? They seem too light to serve their purpose, yet come with a 5 year warranty...
I was just looking at those, and I was thining the same thing. I am looking forward to seeing how they hold up. Not that I want them, but if it is a good product, I will sell it to customers who would like it

The materials they use look promising, but again I look at these as an expensive peice of HT jewelry, there still expensive.

Last edited:

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Then dont buy a headset over $45, let him get what he wants. I have never seen a problem with a king or had one myself. Iv'e never had a problem with a FSA too. Get what YOU want, not what the people on the internet want or dont want you to get.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Sounds like a lot of "sour grapes" in here.

I have five CK's on everything from DH to XC bikes. I've never had an issue with them.

Guess I'm blissfully unaware that they are loose and they suck. :brow:

Go ahead and keep picking that low hanging fruit.