Quantcast

chris king help

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The obvious question is why do you want to use something else? I have heard of people using different greases in their hubs but since King recommends the RG lube for optimum operation I have always stuck with it. King knows what's up and I trust them...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A Note on Lubricants and Build Level Versions:

Rear hub versions 310 though 313 were originally designed to run on 20w non detergent or, preferably, 20w synthetic oil. This lubrication method works well, however, starting at version 314, we improved the system by converting it to run on a special grease. The special grease improved the cold weather performance, back pedal drag while freewheeling, and coasting speed. Sound deadening has benefited also. Do not attempt to run versions earlier than 314 on grease. This could cause sluggish movement of the drive ring leading to engagement problems. These earlier hubs may be upgraded at no cost to run on our special grease. This upgrade includes our new stainless steel needle bearing as well.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I'd have to agree. You (or someone) paid $300 for a rear hub, why not spend $10 on the lube they recommend. Sure, you have to call them to get it, but that's never been a problem.

I'm still on my first bottle after a half-dozen overhauls.