Chris Blings are super reliable and built like a Swiss watch. Unfortunately you'll also being paying Swiss watch prices - but you get what you pay for and it'll last damn near forever. Just make sure to get the Heavy Duty option with your rear hub (Stainless Steel drive shell, and fun bolts to run it as a thru-axle)
Hadleys are just as good as Kings, but the Kings have a bit of an edge in both quality and craftsmanship. But that's really being nit-picky.
As far as the Hadleys go, the Honda-Turner team swears by em' as do a lot of pros. If you can afford it go with the Kings. If not go Hadley.
Chris King makes top-notch hubs. However, you're kind of limited on sizes, you may not be able to find one to fit your bike. In addition, they're quite expensive, you could get a Hadley or Ringle hub for a lot less money. Personally, I like Ringle and Hadley hubs more...
the quality is there with both. buy the hadley, unless u like pissing money.
DO NOTbuy a Ringle. this is a bit of a rant but i feel the need so here it goes. I had a ringle on my TeahDH. cranking through a rock garden at full force and zip! there goes my hub. i pulled it apart and the fix seemed simple enough because it was just stripped pawls. so i call the local shop to order some replacement pawls and the owner starts laughing cus his ringle hub did the exact same thing the day before (go figure....). he says it will be no problem, the parts should be in on friday. i call back on friday only to find out he'd never gotten ahold of ringle's service dept, or anyone else for that matter. I decide to take matters into my own hands cus i have a tahoe trip comming up. i call ringle and some lady who has no idea what she's talking about pawns me off to an answering machine. i never get a call back. couple days later i call back and at least this time i get the customer service dept. no answer so i leave a detailed message again. never get a call back. this goes on and on. i call the bike shop back several times and the owner is having the same problem. this goes on for about 3 weeks, and i never do end up talking to a real person or getting any closer to getting my $2 parts.
after a month of riding my old beat to hell iron horse sgs i give up and go buy a hadley from beyond bikes.
so not only did ringle have the worst customer service of any company i've ever dealt with in my life, they cost me an extra $300, and a months worth of riding. i understand everything breaks if you ride it hard enough but that's why we have customer service. not to mention that hub had less 2 months of hard riding on it, but somehow i was able to make a $40 shimano xt hub last 2 years on my iron horse under the exact same riding conditions.
90% of the time, servicing a King hub needs nothing more than 2 5mm hexes, and some Ring Drive lube. the other 10% of the time, i.e. once every 2yrs (conservative...a few variables to consider), would require a complete tear-down (either send to King, or buy the hub tool).
i already own both chris kings and hadleys. just purchased a new rear wheel...and went with another hadley.
a. modularity -- the hadley gives you all kinds of thru axle and spacing options. the 10 mm thru axle for std dropouts, for example.
b. weight -- CK gives you al and steel freehub body choices, and so for heavy duty riding you go with steel and then the fun bolts and suddenly you're a bit heavier than the hadley--which uses a Ti freehub body. T
c. cost -- despite the Ti, and very nice quality overall, the Hadley is cheaper.
Chris King has supa nice bearings of course, but hadley bearings seem to hold up very well.
My rear King hub with the HD axle, fun bolts and standard AL cassette body weighs 420g's. As long as you properly torque down the cassette, which might need the 2mm shimano spacer and King's cassette lock ring which is longer than a standard Shimano or Sram lockring, the AL shell should be fine. The standard rear Hadley weighs 375, and a Hope rear skewer weighs about 70 grams. Hadley offers a 10mm through axle and Ti bolts as well, dont know the weight, but the hubs should about the same.
i just recived my chris king back from therapy components with the 150x12mm upgrade gonna get it laced today or tommorow and then i will get some pics its looking top notch even though the disk spacer is massive it dosen't seem to have gained much weight