Quantcast

chris king vs hadely? dh

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
DH SB RIDER said:
hey i need to no whats better for down hill trail riding, dh racing, stair drops and reg drops. thanks....im thinking about lacing either to a 823.
alot of times, it depends on the frame. CK is limited and Hadley is unlimited in size combinations.

ive never ridden or seen a CK upclose. ive always had hadley and love them.

they are both great and will perform what you are asking. personally, i think CK is too much money.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Chris Blings are super reliable and built like a Swiss watch. Unfortunately you'll also being paying Swiss watch prices - but you get what you pay for and it'll last damn near forever. Just make sure to get the Heavy Duty option with your rear hub (Stainless Steel drive shell, and fun bolts to run it as a thru-axle)

Hadleys are just as good as Kings, but the Kings have a bit of an edge in both quality and craftsmanship. But that's really being nit-picky.

As far as the Hadleys go, the Honda-Turner team swears by em' as do a lot of pros. If you can afford it go with the Kings. If not go Hadley.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Chris King makes top-notch hubs. However, you're kind of limited on sizes, you may not be able to find one to fit your bike. In addition, they're quite expensive, you could get a Hadley or Ringle hub for a lot less money. Personally, I like Ringle and Hadley hubs more...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I love my CKs - but as people say it is a lot of money - but I am happy I got them. I have never tried Hadley, - so I cant comment on them...

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
S.K.C. said:
Chris Blings are super reliable and built like a Swiss watch...

Hadleys are just as good as Kings, but the Kings have a bit of an edge in both quality and craftsmanship. But that's really being nit-picky.
From my wheelbuilder...
servicing a CK hub is a real pain, and really expensive.

If your choice is between the two, I'd go Hadley.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
sunny said:
From my wheelbuilder...
servicing a CK hub is a real pain, and really expensive.

If your choice is between the two, I'd go Hadley.
That's bull. If you have the CK hubtool it's an easy job, and both hubs can be done in a good half hour.

Sverre

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
the quality is there with both. buy the hadley, unless u like pissing money.

DO NOTbuy a Ringle. this is a bit of a rant but i feel the need so here it goes. I had a ringle on my TeahDH. cranking through a rock garden at full force and zip! there goes my hub. i pulled it apart and the fix seemed simple enough because it was just stripped pawls. so i call the local shop to order some replacement pawls and the owner starts laughing cus his ringle hub did the exact same thing the day before (go figure....). he says it will be no problem, the parts should be in on friday. i call back on friday only to find out he'd never gotten ahold of ringle's service dept, or anyone else for that matter. I decide to take matters into my own hands cus i have a tahoe trip comming up. i call ringle and some lady who has no idea what she's talking about pawns me off to an answering machine. i never get a call back. couple days later i call back and at least this time i get the customer service dept. no answer so i leave a detailed message again. never get a call back. this goes on and on. i call the bike shop back several times and the owner is having the same problem. this goes on for about 3 weeks, and i never do end up talking to a real person or getting any closer to getting my $2 parts.

after a month of riding my old beat to hell iron horse sgs i give up and go buy a hadley from beyond bikes.

so not only did ringle have the worst customer service of any company i've ever dealt with in my life, they cost me an extra $300, and a months worth of riding. i understand everything breaks if you ride it hard enough but that's why we have customer service. not to mention that hub had less 2 months of hard riding on it, but somehow i was able to make a $40 shimano xt hub last 2 years on my iron horse under the exact same riding conditions.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
90% of the time, servicing a King hub needs nothing more than 2 5mm hexes, and some Ring Drive lube. the other 10% of the time, i.e. once every 2yrs (conservative...a few variables to consider), would require a complete tear-down (either send to King, or buy the hub tool).

to say servicing a King is expensive is wrong.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i killed a hadley once..the holes for the disk bolts all cracked and flaired out..

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
wydopen said:
i killed a hadley once..the holes for the disk bolts all cracked and flaired out..
u didnt maintain the tension of the fasteners huh. u just let them get loose and destroy the hubs bolt holes ... you should not have a bike.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I have a King front and love it. I don't think I would ever run a King rear hub though since they don't offer anything besides 135mm qr spacing.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Another small point is that rear Kings are a lot lighter than Hadleys, I'm pretty sure. That's not an issue for some riders of course.

I like my rear King hub a lot, but for my singlespeed build I'm trying to find something cheaper, with similar engagement, quality and weight.

-r

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
rpet said:
Another small point is that rear Kings are a lot lighter than Hadleys, I'm pretty sure. That's not an issue for some riders of course.

-r
They're lighter cause they have an aluminum freehub body which isn't very durable. You can get SS ones but that blows the whole weight thing. Hadley's are Ti. Best of both worlds.

My pick for DH is hadley. When you buy a new frame, you will always be able to make the hadley work. You can't get kings to work with thru axles or odd spacing.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i already own both chris kings and hadleys. just purchased a new rear wheel...and went with another hadley.

several reasons:

a. modularity -- the hadley gives you all kinds of thru axle and spacing options. the 10 mm thru axle for std dropouts, for example.

b. weight -- CK gives you al and steel freehub body choices, and so for heavy duty riding you go with steel and then the fun bolts and suddenly you're a bit heavier than the hadley--which uses a Ti freehub body. T

c. cost -- despite the Ti, and very nice quality overall, the Hadley is cheaper.

Chris King has supa nice bearings of course, but hadley bearings seem to hold up very well.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
My rear King hub with the HD axle, fun bolts and standard AL cassette body weighs 420g's. As long as you properly torque down the cassette, which might need the 2mm shimano spacer and King's cassette lock ring which is longer than a standard Shimano or Sram lockring, the AL shell should be fine. The standard rear Hadley weighs 375, and a Hope rear skewer weighs about 70 grams. Hadley offers a 10mm through axle and Ti bolts as well, dont know the weight, but the hubs should about the same.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i just recived my chris king back from therapy components with the 150x12mm upgrade gonna get it laced today or tommorow and then i will get some pics its looking top notch even though the disk spacer is massive it dosen't seem to have gained much weight

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Sverre said:
That's bull. If you have the CK hubtool it's an easy job, and both hubs can be done in a good half hour.

Sverre
Ummmm.... that's the real trick, isn't it. You gotta have the expensive tools that only CK makes.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
DH SB RIDER, what are you doing, before this thread, you posted a thread about how you got CK hubs. Are you wasting people's time?

You don't need CK's or Hadleys. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between high end hubs and low end hubs. I can imagine you saying that the high end ones feel beter.

STOP, upgrading your bike with high end components that will not affect you, just your parents wallet and just RIDE your damn bike. "Shut Up And Ride" - Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
mtnbrider said:
DH SB RIDER, what are you doing, before this thread, you posted a thread about how you got CK hubs. Are you wasting people's time?

You don't need CK's or Hadleys. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between high end hubs and low end hubs. I can imagine you saying that the high end ones feel beter.

STOP, upgrading your bike with high end components that will not affect you, just your parents wallet and just RIDE your damn bike. "Shut Up And Ride" - Cambria Bicycle Outfitters
im posting this thread because i dont no if i want to return the kings and by kings reetared