Quantcast

Chris Martenson's Crash Course

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
he seems to be somewhat Ron Paulish in his analysis, a lot of libertarian sites endorse him and HuffPo has him down as a donor for Ron Paul, but it could be someone with a different name.

His analysis on money supply growth throws a red flag

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
he seems to be somewhat Ron Paulish in his analysis, a lot of libertarian sites endorse him and HuffPo has him down as a donor for Ron Paul, but it could be someone with a different name.

His analysis on money supply growth throws a red flag
why? point me to some educated critiques please

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
why? point me to some educated critiques please
In this one, he is talking about the fed's response, and not giving advice
"The only way to ‘solve’ a debt crisis in a debt-based money system is by adding more debt."

"And finally, the interesting conclusion. Any mention of the gold standard, let alone postulating its return, is a remarkable thing to see in the WSJ. In any crisis, the solutions are usually fashioned from whatever happens to be lying around at the moment. The gold standard is well understood, and would undoubtedly have prevented the various monetary and trade imbalances from having grown to their current dangerously large proportions...This is something that I fully expect to happen at some point in the future and is something that everyone should consider."

Again, just warning flags, I'm not saying he's a laissez-faire economist yet

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bump for the crash course and for a related article describing the official manipulation of the published rates of unemployment and inflation:

www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse
http://harpers.org/archive/2008/05/0082023

Since the 1960s, Washington has been forced to gull its citizens and creditors by debasing official statistics: the vital instruments with which the vigor and muscle of the American economy are measured. The effect, over the past twenty-five years, has been to create a false sense of economic achievement and rectitude, allowing us to maintain artificially low interest rates, massive government borrowing, and a dangerous reliance on mortgage and financial debt even as real economic growth has been slower than claimed. If Washington’s harping on weapons of mass destruction was essential to buoy public support for the invasion of Iraq, the use of deceptive statistics has played its own vital role in convincing many Americans that the U.S. economy is stronger, fairer, more productive, more dominant, and richer with opportunity than it actually is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I read a couple articles by him and watched a video, it is the usual Paulite junk
uh, you haven't watched this. you are in no position to say "it is the usual Paulite junk."

btw i'm not a libertarian.

idiot.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
uh, you haven't watched this. you are in no position to say "it is the usual Paulite junk."

btw i'm not a libertarian.

idiot.
I know you aren't a libertarian, but he is. I watched the intro, read a few articles, and he is a complete Paultard.

You linked to his intro, which I've seen, and the Harper's article, which I skimmed through.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I know you aren't a libertarian, but he is. I watched the intro, read a few articles, and he is a complete Paultard.

You linked to his intro, which I've seen, and the Harper's article, which I skimmed through.
but the point is this ISN'T as you characterize it. the point of this series isn't to argue in favor of some libertarian remedies. instead it's an overview of the many factors that have led to our current (and future) situation: overpopulation; environmental issues; the money system; misleading use of statistics with regard to unemployment and inflation, etc.

it's not about libertarianism.