Quantcast

Christians more likely to support torture?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
By the way, I only made it about 2 pages in, but I LOVE this thread already.

It's like blood in the water.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ohio said:
Sure beats having a Pope who is former Hitler Youth...
Who condemns moral relativism...the irony there is amazing.

Given the history of the Catholic church, I'd guess he's not the first Pope that didn't care too much for the Juden.

edit: Cartman should apply for the job. He'd fit in just fine...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ti22 said:
preserving western civilization
You realize the authors of the Scriptures and our Messiah were Eastern? I don't think perserving western civilzation is anything any organization linked to Jesus should be proud of or strive to perserve.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ti22 said:
.. we after all presided on the canonization of the bible in the year 335(??)..
Since 300 ad on the "church" has sought to erase it's Hebraic roots and context of the Scripture..........remember until about the early or middle second century Christianity was a sect of Judaism, not a new religion. With this in mind I can't accept their interpretation of the Text as they discard the historical and cultural context (Jewish) in which the Scriptures were written.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ti22..........so it is your contention that marital sex with no intent on procreating is sinful......or rather is it the Catholic churches contention?

Just curious............

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
First of all Ti22, just because a person disagrees with your beliefs on Catholicism does not mean they don't understand the implications or intricacies of Catholic doctrine. As I said earlier, I grew up in a Catholic environment, with all that entails. I went to a Jesuit high school, so I had the full-on immersion program. Finally I was unable to reconcile the Catholic philosophy with my personal view of the world, so I walked away.

Here's just a sample of Ti22 gems and my take on each:

Ti22 said:
So I guess pro-union, anti-big business, pro-environment, pro-Palestinian, pro-welfare, pro-minority, pro-mexican immigration views are now right wing?
I think probably all religions are represented across the political/social spectrum. I really meant that Catholics are often morally and politically conservative, aka right-wing, as evidenced by their stance on homosexuality and sexual liberation, the military, contraception, evolution, education, and other religions.

Ti22 said:
also, The Churched promoted science far more than it got in sciences way... dont' get lost in anti-Catholic propaganda..
I believe Galileo, Copernicus, Darwin, John Scopes, and any scientist studying evolution or the origins of the universe would disagree with you. Until the 16th century the Church persecuted scholars who wanted to study the human body.

Ti22 said:
AS for western civilization .. You'd likely be a Muslim today were it not for the Church.
How's that for a bigoted attitude. We all know how inferior those Muslims are, don't we? If not for the Church, most of the aboriginal societies around the planet would still be healthy and would still have the belief systems that served them well for centuries before the white saviors in black robes showed up with guns, gonorrhea, and bibles for them.

Ti22 said:
No, friend, contraception has done nothing more then made sex out of wedlock even more acceptable
And what exactly is your point?

Ti22 said:
Reflect back on a time when there was much less sex out of wedlock, and no contraception.. surely you must accept that we had far LESS teenage pregnancy (there can never be a utopia), and far LESS abortion, and no AIDS..
Was this maybe in the Garden of Eden? Do you think extramarital sex was invented in 1967? Aboriginal societies have had herbal contraceptives and abortifacients for millenia. Do you think this may be because they felt a need for them? As a matter of fact there was far more "teenage pregnancy" in previous times, because "teenage" is a modern concept. Women started to bear children in their early teens because their bodies are designed to do so. I wonder who is responsible for that design.

Ti22 said:
If the world would follow the teachings of the Church on sex, we would have a cleaner and safer world for children. Sadly, it's against "human nature" we're told so we invent ways to cheat, i.e. contraception, but nature has a way to adapt to anything..
If the world would follow the teachings of the Church on sex, we'd have a totally sexually dysfunctional world. Sex is a beautiful part of life; this religious paranoia around the body is absurd and would be funny if it wasn't so malignant and unhealthy. Taking money from poor misguided people in return for purported religious favors is cheating; contraception is not cheating.

Ti22 said:
I do, and I've been married for 10 years, with two kids, and we simply use the Churches method, and it works flawlessly
However, my wife has gotten very good at knowing when she's ovulating and this is what it's all about.. natural methods that DO WORK.. but aren't intended for 15 year olds in HS..
First, it is well documented that the only foolproof contraception is abstinence, and that's a non-starter. Numerous studies have shown the rhythm method to be notoriously unreliable. And who has decreed that contraception is not intended for 15 year olds?

Ti22 said:
The idea of making up one's own mind as to what is right and wrong, is in contradiction to being religious.
Yikes, no comment necessary. I'll leave you with this, the scariest thing Ti22 has said so far.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
jaydee said:
First, it is well documented that the only foolproof contraception is abstinence, and that's a non-starter. Numerous studies have shown the rhythm method to be notoriously unreliable. And who has decreed that contraception is not intended for 15 year olds?
Not true. Homosexual sex works as well.

Of course, I don't advocate buggering the altar boys and then shuffling your employees around to hide the fact, but pregnancy isn't involved :D

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ti22 said:
Jesus wasn't a Democrat, or Republican.. he was a "Christian" and I try to follow his teachings in my views.. even if I'm not perfect, I try.
Ok, not to be a butt head but where does it say Jesus was a Christian? He was a Torah observant Jewish rabbi, not a Christian. If He had not been Torah observant He would have been a false Messiah according to Judaism.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Ti22 said:
The idea of making up one's own mind as to what is right and wrong, is in contradiction to being religious.
Paul would seem to disagree................"test everything hold on to the good" Colossians 3:17. Not to mention the tradition that both Jesus and Paul came from as Jewish rabbi's taught that in the begining God separated the light from the dark, and the rest of the Scriptures is God teaching His people how to separate light from dark. The point is not being closed minded the point is to be open minded and test things for yourself, not what people tell you to think.