Quantcast

Christmas/Charity Bike Build?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I know this used to be a thing: Are there any builds in the works for less fortunate individuals? If so, I'd like to contribute to the cause. I don't have many spare parts, but I'm more than willing to make a donation.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Thanks, @jdcamb !

With a baby coming in early December, I hadn't planned on doing any of the building/logistics/etc., but rather donating to the cause. I'm willing to do it though, time permitting.

I guess the first step is identifying the destination for the build. I've never done this before, so I think I'll reach out to the LBS's and local bicycling groups to see if there are any worthwhile bicycle-related charities around here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would be happy to donate to this, unfortunately since we're on the road, all of my bike parts/tools/etc. are in storage and I won't get there before Christmas, so I can't actually help with the build.

So... I support this initiative, but we need to find someone who's willing to take on the logistics.

Poor stinkyboy. He was a tormented guy who said a lot of nasty shit on here, but he loved the santa bike project. RIP.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Reached out to a local cycling club, and they directed me to a few charities. They're geared primarily toward monetary or new bike donations, though. I'd really prefer to be able to "see" a donation go to work, but no biggie.

It's become super obvious lately that there's no way I'll have time to do any building this year, so I think I'll make a donation to a local charity unless someone else is available for building/logistics/etc.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Kid I gave the donation bike has been a complete asshole to me. I am not going to give up on the hope that a bike I donate will somehow be enriching in some way to the recipient. if you don't know what grace is. Then you probably don't have any.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
The Kid I gave the donation bike has been a complete asshole to me. I am not going to give up on the hope that a bike I donate will somehow be enriching in some way to the recipient. if you don't know what grace is. Then you probably don't have any.
Is this the Drunken Ninja thing? I don’t think I was active on the Monkey at that time, but I’m pretty sure I’ve come across some posts about this.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have a near complete bike that is going to be a charity bike locally. Was going to go to a neighborhood kid, but he ended up snagging a great deal on something else on his own. Just waiting until spring to finish it up and find the right kid.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Whatever build comes next, I have:

Several Shimano 24mm outboard bearing BBs
LX and XT triple cranks
Raceface triple 24mm spindle cranks with the granny bosses ground off
9-10spd chainrings of various sizes and sorts

Couple handlebars of various sorts that aren't wide enough for me anymore, or have too much rise to use
A dropper 30.9 post I'm never going to use

A clutch of QR skewers
Couple saddles I don't love

More Time ATAC pedals than I'll ever, ever need (seems unlikely for a charity build but...)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Donated bike was donated back into the community. Jass is (16) and using it to get to school so her Moms can sleep before work. She has a 3.1 GPA. Works at Tops a local grocery store. Can fix her own flats now. Wants a fat bike so she can donate it to her sister's son Eric. I am working on a bike for him as we speak. He is 12. almost 6 feet. Plays JV basketball and runs Varsity cross country next year.