Quantcast

***Christmas Day GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Merry Xmas. Wake up feeling sick. Baby got all sorts of toys and crap.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
....I had a snow tire blow like that when I had my 65 beetle...fender survived...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Christmas day with 7 kids between the ages of 10 months and 10 y.o. is bewildering but fun! My 3 y.o literally jumped up and down, screaming with excitement when he saw that the large box was for him... he was even happier when he saw the Tonka dump truck inside.

oh, and my local ride spot made it into the pinkbike "movies for your monday": http://www.pinkbike.com/video/343963 it's cool to see your local trails up there. I was able to recognize the spot that has claimed so many of my trail bike tires (three so far), where I cracked my ribs, and where I broke my wrist! nice!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
An assortment of my sister's Christmas snacks. Good but I prefer fresh or fresh fried. Dried like this is all texture except a slight nutty flavor:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
oh, and my local ride spot made it into the pinkbike "movies for your monday": http://www.pinkbike.com/video/343963 it's cool to see your local trails up there. I was able to recognize the spot that has claimed so many of my trail bike tires (three so far), where I cracked my ribs, and where I broke my wrist! nice!
Xmas with kids is awesome.
I've heard great things about Camp Fortune.
Shame its such a haul from boston.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fortune is fun, but I wouldn't come from Boston. It's a small Hill. There's some good tech and gnar, but nothing big. Well, that's not totally rue, there's one jump trail that I do t have the balls to hit. If ever you go to Bromont, Fortune is 3 hours away... I don't think it's worth leaving Bromont for, but it certainly could be part of an East coast tour...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Bromont is our go-to spot; love that place.
We want to hit Ste Anne one trip too so maybe fortune can happen at that time.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
christmas buffet at syadast's....
My sister ordered them. A couple flavors of crickets, flavored mealworms, bamboo worms, grasshoppers, scorpions, queen weaver ants asses, giant waterbug chili paste, and chocolate covered silkworms too. Yet to open a few other cans of various other things but I don't particular care for the milk chocolate covered bugs and especially the ones dipped in white "chocolate".

It was fresh tamales with mixed vegetable rice as the main. Also put Basque sheep cheese on those hors d'oeuvres on the crackers. The tamales took forever to make...

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My sister ordered them. A couple flavors of crickets, flavored mealworms, bamboo worms, grasshoppers, scorpions, queen weaver ants asses, giant waterbug chili paste, and chocolate covered silkworms too. Yet to open a few other cans of various other things but I don't particular care for the milk chocolate covered bugs and especially the ones dipped in white "chocolate".

It was fresh tamales with mixed vegetable rice as the main. Also put Basque sheep cheese on those hors d'oeuvres on the crackers. The tamales took forever to make...

yeah...i'm a vagina when it comes to eating bugs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
yeah...i'm a vagina when it comes to eating bugs.
So no crab, shrimp, or lobster, right? Those are dirtier than these land based Arthropods.

Remember 30 years ago it was hard to find and get most Westerners to eat sushi/sashimi. Now it's everywhere. A larger part of the world already eats bugs and its significantly more sustainable than most forms of protein. And the government already allows a certain portion of bugs in the food you already are eating...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i've never eaten crab/shrimp/lobster.

salmon once.
No matter, processed food always has an acceptable level of unintentional insects - FDA sets that.

Natural red food coloring (also in lipstick if you have a girlfriend), also bugs:

Natural Red #4 may sound harmless, but the food coloring – also known as carmine – is made by boiling female cochineal insect shells in ammonia or a sodium carbonate solution. It takes about 70,000 of the bugs to produce one pound of dye.
Fish bladder (isinglass) is found in various common alcoholic beverages too...

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i've never eaten crab/shrimp/lobster.

salmon once.
Salmon once? Good lawd. We have it basically every week. That be a tasty fish, yessiree. (and good for you, too, if the current literature is to be believed.)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Salmon once?
part of a christmas buffet of elk/deer/pheasant at the house of a veterinarian i used to work for.

the salmon came from the store...the elk/pheasant/deer he killed.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I was up at 6am. Had to wait for my little girl (2 years old) to get up. The wife and the little one are illin (wife with bronchitis, girly with pneumonia) so I let them sleep in. I made breakfast and neither of them even got up till after 10. I finally just walked in the room and asked if Christmas was going to happen. They finally got up and came downstairs. Then all was good.
The little one got so many toys. Jeebus. Huge messes everywhere.