Quantcast

Christmas in Pisgah v2.0

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
My holiday travel will have me back in NC by the 29th. We are visiting my in laws in (fucking) Maine. I will parlay this husbandly sacrifice into a pass so that I might freeze my balls of with you guys.
@SuboptimusPrime - where are your inlaws in maine? my parents are up there...

oh, and if the triangle crew could meet the clt crew and the winston crew for a day in wilsons i would make sure it was...epic.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@SuboptimusPrime - where are your inlaws in maine? my parents are up there...

oh, and if the triangle crew could meet the clt crew and the winston crew for a day in wilsons i would make sure it was...epic.
We are up in Greenville right on Moosehead Lake. The high is negative 6 the day after tomorrow. May try fatbiking for the first time. Def game for some Wilsons. I am hoping that my husbandly sacrifices during this journey will earn me a pass.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Dirtrider @jstuhlman @AngryMetalsmith @jackalope @roflbox @SuboptimusPrime

We plan on heading up Laurel Mountain tomorrow to end with Pilot Rock.

We are planning to park at the grassy lot gap area.

Question is, which Pilot Cove to Slate Rock route should we do instead of the road? Head up 320 or 320A, to rest if 320...

Does Slate Rock have any deep river crossings without bridges or rocks?

Or?
One way has better views or so I've read. Never ridden those two though. @jstuhlman can recommend a good route.

Just checked the weather and the high is going to be 20°F, so really fucking cold up on Pilot Rock. You guys are seriously hardcore. Rawk on with yo bad selves.

:rockout:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
slate has creek crossings. DO NOT fall in them. esp when its cold. ask me how i know. it’s a good inner loop, but we did it at the end, as we’d parked at the entrance to laurel. i’d recommend parking at laurel and doing it at the end if you have energy-there’s definitely some hike a bike on that inner loop, which surprised me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
slate has creek crossings. DO NOT fall in them. esp when its cold. ask me how i know. it’s a good inner loop, but we did it at the end, as we’d parked at the entrance to laurel. i’d recommend parking at laurel and doing it at the end if you have energy-there’s definitely some hike a bike on that inner loop, which surprised me.
Cool. Are the creeks deep? Our thoughts on doing that first and parking at the bottom of Pilot Rock is that we won't have any road or hiking to do after the descent. Finish on a high note if you will.

@AngryMetalsmith it felt balls cold at the top of Black Mountain yesterday. There was still snow up there in the afternoon and sheets of ice. But the lower bobsled run was completely frozen, instead of the pooplike mud the entire way down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How do you know not to fall in cold creeks in cold weather?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
The creek crossings are not deep or big. You’ll be ok. Wanna hook up for beer/dinner tmw night and plan a Saturday ride. It’s supposed to warm up to 30..you guys are crazy riding today. I froze my nuts off walking to the truck for work. Oh and go clockwise on pilot (320) to slate rock ridge and down slate rock. if you take 320A at the top it will be shorter than staying on 320 but offer a nice view. Make sense?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We skipped the extra loop and only did Laurel and Pilot Rock.

Which was a good call. The wind was absolutely fuckin' howling and cold as heck. My fingers were frozen before dropping into Pilot Rock; not cool. But heck, still a fun descent.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can't sleep, so thought I'd write up quick review of our trip.

Overall, besides it being very cold some days, we all had a great time. It was a few guy's first time down south to this area and one common comment was how nice all the locals were. Everyone loved the trails too.

Everyone survived, though one guy mildly separated his shoulder at Windrock (he was riding road by end of the week), another guy at shit on Daniels Ridge and also on Daniels Ridge, almost slid off the trail into the creek (big 'ole drop on some sections there...). One other dude ate it on Black Mountain and ended up with red dirt in his helmet and ears. Good times.

These aren't the greatest pictures, but if you want any larger versions feel free to check them out here: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Canadmos/album/Pisgah-2018-January/

Or if you want to see a few pictures from our visit last year: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Canadmos/album/Pisgah-North-Carolina/

Day 1
Terry and myself headed down a few days early. We left Toronto at 4pm on Thursday and was in Brevard by 9am on Friday. While waiting for our room at the hotel to be ready, we went up US276 and checked out Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock. Once checked in we planned on taking a nap, but somehow ended up going straight to DuPont Forest for a lap.

Trails: Lake Imaging Road --> Jim Branch --> Isaac Heath --> Hill Top --> Buck Forest Road --> Hooker Creek Trail --> Hickory Mountain Loop --> Ridgeline

Looking Glass Falls

Looking Glass Falls

Looking Glass Falls

Sliding Rock

First day was great. Was able to wear shorts....

Up the rocks at the start of Jim Branch. After 15 hours in the car overnight, Terry was cursing and didn't have the gas to make it up. I just yolo'd up them, somehow. This was the first time in probably a month on the skinny tire bike. Quite the change from riding the fat bike...

Somewhere in DuPont. Perfectly dry, slightly frozen and grippy trail.

Grassy Creek Falls in DuPont Forest.

We made it....

It was probably 11am here, but always time for a beer after that drive.

Rox.

Lovely sunshine.

Finished the long day off with some beer at The Hub.

Day 2
On day two we road Black Mountain. Big climb, awesome descent. Terry got a head full of red dirt somewhere halfway down Black. Lower Black was an absolute shitshow of mud.

Trails: Clawhammer Road --> Black Mountain --> Grassy Road Trail --> Sycamore Cove Trail

And the climb up Clawhammer begins.

MOAR climbing.

Made it to the top of Clawhammer Road.

Every single person lol'd at the no roller blading sign.

More up....

Beauty day, it was. The climb was well worth the views.

Glammer shot.

Could have sat here all day.

ROX. Some of this crap got steeeep.

Met this dude and a girl halfway down Black Mountain. Not really sure how he was so quick in the mud, running a semi-slick for a rear tire. This inside line was cutoff and piled with shrubbery the second time we did Black later on in the week.

Climbing back up to Sycamore Cove.

Some sticky mud from Lower Black Mountain.

Day 3
For day 3, we decided to try to retrace the loop that @Dirtrider took us on last year. This is the day it really started to get cold. One change we made to the loop, was that we climbed further up the road to do all of Long Branch, instead of dipping in halfway. The climb was a bitch, but the top of the trail was worth. After some single track climbing, you suddenly drop into a red coloured ditch that descends back down the hill. What a hoot that was...

This was New Years Eve. We planned on spending it at Ecusta Brewing across from the hotel, but Brevard literally turned into a skating rink that night. The place emptied out. The owner of Ecusta was awesome and kind enough to pour us some quick beers and then drove us over to Oscar Blues, to join their Hootenanny. Good times.

Trails: Davidson River Trail --> Cove Creek --> Cove Creek Road --> Daniels Ridge (rocky section) --> Long Branch --> Cat Gap

Somewhere on Davidson River Trail. It was cloudy that day.

The ice was growing out of the ground. This stuff was actually super grippy, but in some spots it caused the soil to become very loose and was deep in a few spots.

A waterfall on Cove Creek. Craptacular picture...didn't want to climb down the steep as fack trail to the bottom of it and then have to climb back out.

Random creek crossing on Cove Creek. This one has a cool little rock section right before it. Old man Mark rammed straight into the end of the bridge, in an attempt to somehow ride across it. :crazy:

Some random rocks and a creek somewhere on Cove Creek Road.

Part way down Daniel Ridge, at the bottom of Farlow. This trail intersection received some serious work while we were down there. The second time we rode this loop, we found a new log stair set and rock armor.

Beard-cicles. It was getting cold....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Day 4
We were seriously foggy on New Years Day. We opted to skip riding and just go for a drive. We had to waste the day, as we checked out of the hotel and had to wait for our house rental to become available.

We decided to drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bad idea. What we didn't know, was that US276 had turned into a fucking gongshow of snow and ice. That highway gets steep as it approaches the Parkway, so there was really no turning around. Cars and trucks were rammed against the rocks on the highway and all over the place in the ditches.

The Parkway was also closed sometime between when we left and got up to the top. When we finally got up there, everything was white. The was a few inches of snow on the road. Thankfully I had some good studless snow tires on the car. Otherwise we probably would have joined one of the other vehicles in the rocks. We ended up having to go across part of the Parkway, down to Candler and back around the mountains to Brevard. It took forever, but we didn't die....

Heading up US276. Sheer ice under the thin layer of snow.

We made it to the top, but knew we had to get back down, somehow.

Terry snapped a few pictures on the Parkway. We questioned stopping at a few of the lookouts, but opted to just keep moving....It was beautiful up there, as much as it was white knuckle driving with the ice.

Heading back down the next road, headed towards Candler. Luckily not much ice on that side of the mountains.

Day 5
Day 5 marked the day when the rest of our group arrived in Brevard. They all unloaded their crap and then did the same as us, headed straight to DuPont for an easy lap after pulling an all night drive.

Trails: Lake Imaging Road --> Jim Branch --> Isaac Heath --> Hill Top --> Buck Forest Road --> Hooker Creek Trail --> Hickory Mountain Loop --> Ridgeline

Enjoying it.

I think they were tired...

Woooooo

Thumbs up. Note the ice in the background.

There was no ice on this water fall a few days earlier.

Another beer break at the top, before rolling back down Ridgeline.

Day 6

We rode Black Mountain. Same loop as the one Terry and I did earlier. Thank you to old man Mark, who can climb like a god damned goat, we flew up Clawhammer Road.

It was freakin' cold getting to the top. Had to put foot warmers in my shoes.

Trails: Clawhammer Road --> Black Mountain --> Grassy Road Trail --> Sycamore Cove Trail

Old man Mark not even huffing on the way up. Just an easy stroll for him. Animal.

Climb climb climb...

Beer.

Climb climb climb.

Oh sweet, 10 seconds of not climbing.

Thinking, did we bring enough beer for this??

Climb climb climb....

As much as the climbing and hiking sucked, everyone thought it was worth the views. Another sunny day.

Good long break and beer here.

Rocks and sagging rhododendrons.

Big ass icicles.

More ice coming out of the ground going down Black Mountain. This stuff got DEEP in a few spots.

Mark enjoying the view.

Day 7
Day 7 might have been the coldest and the most grueling day of the entire trip. Four of us went and rode Laurel Mountain and Pilot Rock. The rest stayed back at the house, drank beer and stayed warm.

The wind this day was something else. It was absolutely howling up some of the valleys and through the gaps. There was an inch of snow at the top of Pilot Rock. It was pure survival mode at the end. I wanted to take some pictures coming down Pilot Rock, but it was just too damn cold.

Parked on Yellow Gap Road, at the closed gate just up the road from the end of Pilot Rock.

Looking back on the road, climbing to the start of Laurel. You can kind of see Ben in there somewhere.

Laurel was covered in this death ice. It was thick and slippery as fuck. One slip and you'd be toast.

ROX

More death ice.

As cold and windy as it was, Laurel is a great trail. Never ending.

Ben cleared most of the tricky rock sections (that weren't coated in ice).

Mark literally wobbled through this rock crack. I was afraid for his bike.:rofl:

One of the few spots and times to take a break in the sun with little wind.

On Pilot Rock. Mark asked if the trail went down there....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The view from partway down Pilot. Unfortunately no pictures of the rock on Pilot Rock.

Day 8
On day 8 the entire group rode Daniels Ridge. We did the same loop as earlier, minus the top of Long Branch. It was freezing, but thankfully not much of any wind. I had a close call in a creek. Attempting to ride through it, my front wheel slipped on ice and shot me to the left and into the deep spot where I stopped. Somehow I put my foot down on the only rock sticking up. Not sure how I didn't go swimming....that would have majorly sucked.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures this day. I simply pointed the way and rode trail.

Trails: Davidson River Trail --> Cove Creek --> Cove Creek Road --> Daniels Ridge (rocky section) --> Long Branch --> Cat Gap

@Dirtrider and significant other joined our smelly crew for drinks and dinner. The VHS is still in the books above the fireplace. :busted::brows:

The only picture I have from this day is this one. Dinner, with some butt cream, the fire alarm and some random bottle of who knows what...

Day 9
We spent day 9 playing tourist and following dirtrider and Jenn around Bent Creek. We were all tired and wiped out (Terry and I especially) by this day, so we asked for an easy loop. I think Norm wanted to kill everyone on some of those climbs. haha. The contacts in my eyes felt like they were freezing over on some of those long fast downs.

I didn't take any pictures on this day either. So these are from our great tour guides.

There were a few donkeys walking on this ice and taking selfies. It didn't look that thick. Darwin....

After that, most of the group left that day and headed back to Canada. Terry and I left the next morning. We should have stopped at the New River Gorge, but just wanted to crush the ride back home. It was an uneventful drive, minus one hairy section i90 in New York, adjacent to Lake Erie. Had to counter steer the car into the wind a few times.

Can't wait for next time. Hopefully it is a little warmer.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Memories...

Two guys are headed down for December 26th to Jan 1st. Girlfriend is also interested in going and trying to convince me to go, but I really want to go in the spring after all the snow and ice last time.

Hmmm. What's the worst that could happen?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Memories...

Two guys are headed down for December 26th to Jan 1st. Girlfriend is also interested in going and trying to convince me to go, but I really want to go in the spring after all the snow and ice last time.

Hmmm. What's the worst that could happen?
if you guys wind up going and pass through eastern PA hit me up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Park at TraceRidge Trailhead and pedal up Washcreek road (5000). It's a fairly easy climb by Pisgah standards. You could shuttle it from the Parkway by accessing it near the Arboretum but that would depend on the Parkway being open.
Thanks.

Is Lower Trace Ridge worth it? Finish with that and just pedal back up the road to the car?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also....Butter Gap or Long Branch?

Had a fun time on the top of Long Branch the last time, twas like riding down a red coloured tube of dirt in spots. Bottom portion near Butter (I think) was also great...wide open and fast as hell.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Thanks.

Is Lower Trace Ridge worth it? Finish with that and just pedal back up the road to the car?
Dunno about Lower Trace. Last time I rode Trace it was super fast and rowdy, like how Avery Creek used to be. One option is to park at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek and ride some of that stuff, including Greens Lick, then up to the Parkway and down Washcreek to Spencer Gap to Trace, then back up to the Parkway into BC. Takes 5-6 hours.

Also....Butter Gap or Long Branch?

Had a fun time on the top of Long Branch the last time, twas like riding down a red coloured tube of dirt in spots. Bottom portion near Butter (I think) was also great...wide open and fast as hell.
Butter, always Butter. From Oct 15 - April 15 the seasonal trails are open. You can bomb down Butter and Cat Gap. Otherwise you would have to climb up part or all of Long Branch. Searcy Creek rd is a good connector to just above the Danial Ridge parking lot. One of my favorite loops is to start at the Daniel Ridge lot and pedal up past Gloucester Gap to the Butter Gap trailhead. After Butter you can either go up Long Branch or, if in season, take Cat gap to the Fish Hatchery then onto Davidson River trail over to Caney Bottoms. Climb up CB and hit a connector over to the top of Daniel Ridge. Bomb down DR creek side to finish up. Takes 3-4 hours.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dunno about Lower Trace. Last time I rode Trace it was super fast and rowdy, like how Avery Creek used to be. One option is to park at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek and ride some of that stuff, including Greens Lick, then up to the Parkway and down Washcreek to Spencer Gap to Trace, then back up to the Parkway into BC. Takes 5-6 hours.

Butter, always Butter. From Oct 15 - April 15 the seasonal trails are open. You can bomb down Butter and Cat Gap. Otherwise you would have to climb up part or all of Long Branch. Searcy Creek rd is a good connector to just above the Danial Ridge parking lot. One of my favorite loops is to start at the Daniel Ridge lot and pedal up past Gloucester Gap to the Butter Gap trailhead. After Butter you can either go up Long Branch or, if in season, take Cat gap to the Fish Hatchery then onto Davidson River trail over to Caney Bottoms. Climb up CB and hit a connector over to the top of Daniel Ridge. Bomb down DR creek side to finish up. Takes 3-4 hours.
Will take that into consideration.

Only way I've done it is park at the fish hatchery - ride up Daniel's Creek - up Cove Creek and over to Daniel's ridge creek descent - back up to Long Branch and then then down to bottom if Butter and Cat Gap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not unless you’re parked at campground. Gotta cross a fairly wide section of N Mills River
Screw that then...crossed that river literally 30 times that one ride getting up to Laurel.

@canadmos - you coming down this way???
Yah, barring an emergency with the ladyfriends father, we're headed down on the 28th. Crossing fingers for not much rain. But hey at least it's not forecast to be snowing like last time. Hah

Norm is headed down this week and staying until new years.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Screw that then...crossed that river literally 30 times that one ride getting up to Laurel.

Yah, barring an emergency with the ladyfriends father, we're headed down on the 28th. Crossing fingers for not much rain. But hey at least it's not forecast to be snowing like last time. Hah

Norm is headed down this week and staying until new years.
Gonna try and hook up with Norm either Friday or Sunday. Weather looks warm. Hoping something will be rideable after all the rain today and tmw.

How long is your group coming for?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gonna try and hook up with Norm either Friday or Sunday. Weather looks warm. Hoping something will be rideable after all the rain today and tmw.

How long is your group coming for?
Just me and the girlfriend going from the 28th and leaving town on the 4th. I'll get Norm to keep me in the loop with his plans... Any idea where yall are planning on riding?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Depends on how things dry out. Lots of rain yesterday and supposed to rain all day today 1-2". But the extended week looks like sun and mid 60s. May be Dupont since it dries better..
Is the ground saturated ? Haven't been paying attention to the Pisgah weather lately.

Looked at my calendar last night and noticed that I've only ridden once since my Pisgah trip in October. Hmmm. Might have to head up there if it ain't flooded. Would love to butter a cat.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Is the ground saturated ? Haven't been paying attention to the Pisgah weather lately.

Looked at my calendar last night and noticed that I've only ridden once since my Pisgah trip in October. Hmmm. Might have to head up there if it ain't flooded. Would love to butter a cat.
ground was pretty saturated prior to this rain. Typical winter, takes longer to dry things up and it’s rained a decent amount about every 4 days. Did a quick spin after work Friday and it was pretty good minus a few spots that are typically greasy in winter. Then it rained all day Sunday and off, but mostly on today. Gonna hike Up Mills River tmw chasing trout so I’ll be able to see how bad.i can tell you Butter and Cat gap will be a shit show. There are so many issues with drainage and runoff lately. Typical of several trails just getting ridden to death.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ok, who made Jolanda crash?

wonder if it was on lower black. that's part of why i hated what they did there a few years back-they just tossed all the stuff they cut to either side of the trail to narrow the corridor, but it (can be) a super high speed part of the trail. but if you hit a jump at the wrong angle or get off line in a corner-you're probably impaled on that crap. anyway, hope she heals up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yikes that's scary stuff. Sounds like that could have been way worse. Sounds like she got lucky with everything in regards to getting the right care and quickly.
Yeah... and depending where you are, once you get a foot inside the forest, there's zero cell reception to call for help.

Can't wait to get down there. Going to stop at the new river gorge bridge; somehow I've only driven through that are in the middle of the night.