Quantcast

chrome 24" rhyno?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yep. I don't think you want it though. Chrome brakes like poo poo. Stick with black or machined. Your black one looks prime on your Molly anyways.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
:poster_oops: :disgust: Someone has got it backwards. Chrome brakes the best. Well maintained rim brakes plus a chrome rim are miles better than machined, and painted/anodized black is the worst. Chrome is bad if it's wet, but this is a wheel for a 24" street/jump bike shouldn't be getting wet very much.:brows:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've been battlin' back and forth with Leethal about this and I would like to give chrome a whirl. the 20"ers I rode with chrome seemed to brake a little more predictable and had a nicer feel. I'm not totally convinced chrome is the way to go, I just want to try it first hand to know for sure.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
sun bfr or something 36h totally chrome rims. i think dans comp stocks them. rhynolites have good braking surface too. they exist tiles, and chrome is the way to go for v or u brakes and get plazmatic v pads for ultimate brake power in clear. trialsinusa.com has them aan they are siiiiiiiiick probably even better w/ chrome rims

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I saw the one on danscomp that won't be available till the first of november. It's listed under just a rhyno lite, not an XL. I just want to make sure it's a welded and machined seem. I also have an email in to Sun Ringle although I've emailed them in the past and never got a response...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
too bad odyssey doesnt make rims in 24. they have the hard anodized 7K rims in black that would be so nice for a v brake.
i have to get a rear wheel built myself and will prob go w/ the black rhyno xl w/ machined sidewall

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Christ, I'm glad someone corrected Bicyclist's blatantly horredous splatter up above. Chrome rims and (in particular) 990 brakes go together like a horse and carriage. Take a look at how many guys on 20's run a black front and chrome rear rim... it's not for looks fellas. Ever seen a flatland rider using black rims? Think again.

Also, there is indeed chrome, not just polished.

Sorry if I'm coming off as being harsh, but I'm officially in my "mid" 30's as of today and I feel its my duty to be an old cranky bastard (OCB).

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
^yo trust, I lost my 20s last week and find myself exceedingly cranky too ;)

The thing is, I generally like to try things myself so I can see if I like it or not. If I get a hoop and I don't like it, I'm only out 30-40 seeds if that. My problem is finding the damn thing!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
YUP they make em ... had to go into the shop and double check , YEs I have a pair of 36H Sun ryno light's in CHROME not polished sitting right here in front of me !! So they do exsist

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
What are you calling me out for? Chrome rims have a huge following by the 20" crowd but there worth is a bit overstated. It has been my experience that Chrome does work slightly better in a clean dry environment; however black rims are still plenty capable and offers better modulation. Throw in dust and they pull even no advantage either way. When wet chrome simply doesn't work and black still has some power.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sorry, should have said that that was just my experience with chrome. It seemed like with a lot of force the brake just kinda slipped as opposed to grabbing like on a machined sidewall.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Sorry, should have said that that was just my experience with chrome. It seemed like with a lot of force the brake just kinda slipped as opposed to grabbing like on a machined sidewall.
That could be. I don't know that I've ever tried chrome rims with v-brakes. 990's (which I think Mr. Tiles is using on his USB) can't exert the same force and there is a huge difference in power with different rim surfaces. Chrome is the clear winner with black paint/anno being the worst.With V's I imagine that the difference would be less pronounced because v-brakes can actually exert a reasonable amount of force.

And don't anyone go spouting the usual line about how 990's are perfectly sufficient and all that stuff. With new cables, everything cleaned and lubed, sanding my brake pads and cleaning my rims with simple green before every second ride or so I never could get better than mediocre brake performance out of them. [personal opinion]Really, frame manufacturers should just spec v-brake mounts so we don't have to worry about what type of rim we have and having bad braking.[/personal opinion]

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I agree with your sentiments a little on the 990s. At first, I didn't like them at all. Enter the fly brake cnc goodness. The arms don't flex at all and the braking power is surprisingly strong for a u-brake. I also re-evaluated the set up and made extra sure the pads were set perfect and the straddle cable was the right length. Personally, I'm very happy with the braking on my molly - there again, something you'd never hear me say about u-brakes two years ago and also something Leethal could say "I told you so" about. I'd just like to see if a chrome rim improves it any...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That could be. I don't know that I've ever tried chrome rims with v-brakes. 990's (which I think Mr. Tiles is using on his USB) can't exert the same force and there is a huge difference in power with different rim surfaces. Chrome is the clear winner with black paint/anno being the worst.With V's I imagine that the difference would be less pronounced because v-brakes can actually exert a reasonable amount of force.

And don't anyone go spouting the usual line about how 990's are perfectly sufficient and all that stuff. With new cables, everything cleaned and lubed, sanding my brake pads and cleaning my rims with simple green before every second ride or so I never could get better than mediocre brake performance out of them. [personal opinion]Really, frame manufacturers should just spec v-brake mounts so we don't have to worry about what type of rim we have and having bad braking.[/personal opinion]
I was running chrome w/ 990s. Other 990s w/ machined rims seemed to work better.