Quantcast

Chromoly brushed metal look

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Howdy. I stripped the paint off my new p2 because I'd like to give it a nice brushed metal look and then get a clear powdercoat over it. Basically I have been using emory cloth and some dremel bits to get the look but, it's all a bit uneven (I can take pictures tonight).

My question is has anyone else tried the brushed look on their frame or metal project? Are there any metal shop guys that know of some tools that might aid in the process? I know there are some steel brush attachments for my electric drill but, they seem like they would destroy the frame. The small dremel steel brushes are too small as the polish the frame rather than giving it that brushed look.

Thanks.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Did a quick test over lunch and it's works great. Just the look I want. Thanks!

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Lol, ok i mustve missed something. Im noticing everyone is telling people to pm jimmydean in every single thread. I want to see the original thread on where this started. Hahaha

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Lol, ok i mustve missed something. Im noticing everyone is telling people to pm jimmydean in every single thread. I want to see the original thread on where this started. Hahaha
Didn't miss anything at all. Jimmy knows a **** ton of stuff about bikes, biking, etc.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Actually, it wasn't bad. I started with emery cloth but, that was before I found out that synthetic steel wool/scotch bright works much better. I also used my dremel tool with scotch bright tips to get in the small places.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
looks good, i have done that with some bmx frames awhile back. is that the 2011 P2 btw? and how do you like it?

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
right on. Yeah. It's my first hard tail so, I don't have anything to compare it to. Love the geometry and it rails corners. I've only had it on pump tracks but, I'm hoping to do some dirt jumping soon.

ramstein-dh

Chimp
Feb 18, 2011
I tried wire wool on my keewee cromo 8.
It went very shiny , and the welds looked polished.
Also the gloss powder coat may take the effect away.

Did not even know that clear powder coat could be done as i love the bare cromo look.
Especially the blue colour around the welds.

Good look with it , any pics yet?

Jay

MTBKR415

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
right behind you...
How did you get the paint off yourself?? Did you get it sandblasted?

I'm thinking of having my frame painted this winter and wanna save some money and see if i can do the paint removal at home.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
How did you get the paint off yourself?? Did you get it sandblasted?

I'm thinking of having my frame painted this winter and wanna save some money and see if i can do the paint removal at home.
It's messy but, super easy with some kind of aircraft coating remover.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHY0/3711.oap?ck=Search_paint_N0483_-1_-1&keyword=paint&pt=N0483&ppt=C0171

Just spray on one section at a time, wait a few minutes and peel off. Make sure to wear a mask and some kind latex glove. The stuff burns pretty badly if you get it on your skin. I throw out a hugh plastic painting tarp on the floor which makes it easy to clean up.