Quantcast

Chumba F5 vrs Transition TR450

karjim

Chimp
May 19, 2009
I am thinking in my new bike for 2010 so I was looking at all single pivot bikes and I see to bikes that look sick and has a geo that will fit me very well so my options are chumba F5 with ccdb or TR450 with Fox RC4. so wich one should I get and why?

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
f5 < blindside < tr450. i like the people at Chumba (Walter is great) but the f5 geometry is not up to par with other frames out there (i have had time on one) also they get chain suck a lot. i have ridden the blindside never liked the geometry and some other little things, but they are personal things; transition is a great company with very good products. i own other transitions. the tr450 will be an aggressive race machine that works very well and i have no problem recommending it i also messed with it at inter-bike. i will solely based this on the ones i have, have ridden, and sold, but most importantly they treat riders right (not just their riders people that bought frames), and their dealers.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
don't forget chumba has a new low rider link, makes the bike lower and slacker. not sure what the geometry ends up at though. I would still get the tr450, stiffer swing arm, and adjustable geometry.

karjim

Chimp
May 19, 2009
Yeah if i buy the chumba F5 will be with the new lower link part so the bike will be with this HA 64 and 14.2 of BH and the rest will be the same. also I like the idea of the CCDB because that shock works very well

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
There's a guy I know on rm who has a chumba f5. Maybe he will chime in. Anyways, I think the tr450 is better than the chumba.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you are interested in single pivots, check out the Xprezo Furax. The shock isn't linkage activated like the F5 or TR450, but the bike absolutely RIPS. Geometry is what many of todays rider's refer to as "dialed".

I'm due for a new bike next spring, and right now this one is at the top of my short list.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I ride an F5 and I really like the bike. I have the standard link in right now (65HA). I'm gonna get the new lower one in a week or two and give it a try. The bike rides and corners great, pedals so so. My main complaint with the bike is the shock collects mud when it's wet out which causes bushing to wear prematurely. I have a shock boot that helps solve the problem, but it still something I don't like. My other problem is the fact that the shock hardware is only m7 bolts and they can and will break if you bottom out frequently.

If I had the money though, I'd get the TR450. Better mud protection, bigger pivot hardware. The 2 companies are pretty much on par with each other CS wise.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Interesting that so many people recommend the TR450 when no one has ridden them yet.

The Chumba F5 has a very long history and is proven - there are more pros/WC racers that have provided input on this frame alone than all of Transition's frames combined. They have made many refinements along the way too. The bike seems very up to date to me and it is adjustable if you have both links. You don't get a much lower CoG than the F5 either. Chumba's CS is outstanding too. Chumba has made custom frames in the past and I believe they still do. It will take longer to get one but that is a really nice option if you need it. It still has a really unique look as well.

The TR450 looks sweet but until it has a year of success under its belt I would wait. Nothing against Transition, they are great guys too but I don't trust anything the first year.

Just my 2 cents:thumb:

However, there may be a requirement to grow facial hair and get tatted up before you ride your F5.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you are interested in single pivots, check out the Xprezo Furax. The shock isn't linkage activated like the F5 or TR450, but the bike absolutely RIPS. Geometry is what many of todays rider's refer to as "dialed".

I'm due for a new bike next spring, and right now this one is at the top of my short list.
Link?

My only input is from checking out a Transition briefly at Interbike. It was a L and was a lot longer than any Chumba I've ever seen, and the back end felt much stiffer in the hand-on-wheel and foot-on-bb-spindle tests. Chumbas normally do not, at least not the ones I've seen lately. Still cool bikes though.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
i hate to say it but, i don't see the f5 as refined the one i rode last year got chain suck and chain rub/drag like a rm9 (in fact it rode like one). the chain suck alone deters me. i know the "unproven" tr450 won't do that. as far as single pivots go, my favorite is still a 224. if the adjustable ht 22whatever wasn't so much i would have one. the 224 is a refined frame. and will always remind me its all in the geo. and mo shimz!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I wouldn't say you need to get tattooed and grow facial hair to ride an F5, but it doesn't hurt.

I rode my friends Tomac Primer last year and was turned off immediately. The BB area on the frame flexed so badly that it made the right side crank arm hit the swingarm.