Quantcast

Cigars

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Anyone smoke 'em?

I have had 3 bachelor parties in the last couple months, so I have been introduced to cigars to say the least. I was given a couple last year, my brother has gotten into them, so when we get together every so often he brings some along.

I'm finding them intriguing, the different blends are interesting. Its kind of like getting into drinking wines and dissecting the flavors and stuff.

It will never be anything Ill do very much. Too expensive to make a habit. But its been something interesting to learn about.

What kind of cigars can you recomend? I have had a few by Acid, I had one Romeo y Julieta Romeo #3, that was the best cigar I have had to date.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I do, same level, every once and awhile with friends or family. Nothing cheap either, it has to be good. My personal favorite is Called JohnT's crowd pleaser
They are rolled half and half with a Pipe tobbacco, extremly smooth, excelent aroma.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was given some honey flavoured cigars by the San Fransisco Firechief .

No idea what they were called, but they tasted damn good in the jacuzzi with champagne (back home that is, not with him). If anyone cares to tell me what they were, I would gladly buy more of them.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
yea, i've had a few; my favorites thus far are cuban cohibas. i go for the smaller ones (~5" long, .5" wide) because anything larger will probably make me puke. the acids i've had are tasty enough. montecristos are quite wonderful too

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I was given some honey flavoured cigars by the San Fransisco Firechief .

No idea what they were called, but they tasted damn good in the jacuzzi with champagne (back home that is, not with him). If anyone cares to tell me what they were, I would gladly buy more of them.
Most likely a Havana Honey. Great Cigar

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Had one last night. I don't smoke them often, maybe every other month. Right now my humidor is a little low, only about 20-25 cigars

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
-Anything from Padron. I don't care for the 1964 series but the 1926 are in my top 3.
-La Gloria Cubana Serie R
-La Flor Dominicana. Ligero and Limitado are my favs, but I like everything they make.
-Davidoff Anniversario #3, Special R, and Millenium Robusto
-Camacho SLR
-La Aurora
-Montecristo #2

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Cohiba = the gross

The best cigars are hand-rolled in the Dominican, where you can actually watch the guys do it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually I still have 2 my wife hand rolled for me in Costa Rica. Nothing says awesome like a hot chick rolling a Cuban cigar in Costa Rica. :D

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
I smoke once in awhile mostly at family gatherings. They are almost always one of the Macanudo varitey's. I have smoked others but I keep coming back to the Macanudos. I highly recommend the Robust flavor.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I have had a macanudo, it was pretty good.

My buddy is getting married this weekend, I was going to pick some up for us while we hang around on Saturday before the wedding. I think Ill get some Acid Blondies.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Graycliffs entire line- saw the factory this past January.
Montecristo #20 is my favorite thus far
Fuente Fuente Opus X on special occasions
Really enjoy the offerings from Comacho as well, perfect medium-full bodied cigars.

I know my selections are all over the place but hey, im in pursuit.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Actually I still have 2 my wife hand rolled for me in Costa Rica. Nothing says awesome like a hot chick rolling a Cuban cigar in Costa Rica. :D
Do you know where she did it at? My brother and his wife are there for a honeymoon this week. Ill tell them to roll me a couple. :)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I also prefer the Macanudo. I've gravitated to the maduro ascots in the individually wrapped 10-count tin because of the spicy yet unbiting flavor, slight ring gage and that they take me almost exactly a half hour to finish each. I just don't have the time to smoke a 45-minute cigar usually and end up having to loiter to not waste them.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Macanudo is the Huffy of Cigars.

Seriously, you can do better.
Not everyone makes their choices based on what Cigar Afficionado tells them is good. It is true there are better cigars just like there are better bourbons than Evan Williams 90 but ya gotta draw the line somewhere, especially for semi-regular usage. The same thing happens in the whiskey threads, too. Someone says they like Maker's Mark and before the post has even dried to the page, another retorts by saying anyone who drinks less than Lagavulin is a Milwaukee's Beaster...(sigh).

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Not everyone makes their choices based on what Cigar Afficionado tells them is good. It is true there are better cigars just like there are better bourbons than Evan Williams 90 but ya gotta draw the line somewhere, especially for semi-regular usage. The same thing happens in the whiskey threads, too. Someone says they like Maker's Mark and before the post has even dried to the page, another retorts by saying anyone who drinks less than Lagavulin is a Milwaukee's Beaster...(sigh).
While I understand where you're coming from, I don't make my choices based on a magazine review that considers "earth notes" (read: tastes like dirt) to be a good thing, either. If you read my list, you'll notice that, while I have some slightly more expensive smokes in there, there are no OpusX, Ashton VSG, Zino Platinum or anything other overpriced pop cigars.

Your average Macanudo goes for about $6.50. In that same price range you can get La Gloria Cubana, La Aroma de Cuba, Padron, Camacho, La Flor Dominicana, Trinidad robustos... All much better than Macanudo.

There's a time for a $10 bottle of Evan William and there a time for a $60 bottle of Bookers. But if you could get Bookers or Lagavulin for $10 a pop, why is EW even a choice?

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I get the feeling most people posting in this thread smoke a cigar or two a month, not two packs a day.
Ill smoke one a month in the summer time. Around here thats maybe 6 a year.

Theres a brand new cigar shop opening up down the street. I think Ill go check it out today. :brows:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
the bar has been upped to lagavulin 21 year and macallan 50 year; if you're not drinking these, you're simply a member of the huddled masses!

on a separate note, i've been having about a cigar a week these days because i realized that cubans are legal (albeit expensive as f*ck) here in canada.

Ahh Macallan scotch. Never tried it till I went to China, Im not much of a drinker but 7 of my friends went to go drink in the Peninsula hotel in Hong Kong.

We started Glenmorangie 25 years.

Then moved to the Macallan. We started with 10 year and worked our way up.

Then to waiter started to walk around with Montecristo No. 2 cubans and I didnt want to leave.

Those bottles are about three times the price in HK than here in the states. At the end of the night somebody had a 50 year in there hand but I tappped out. One of the best night's overseas I ever had.

Last edited:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
good lord, at 400-500 bucks an ounce for the 50 year, i'm wondering what you/your friends do for a living...international arms dealers?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I prefer a pipe. Cigars are too phallic.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Anyhow - Onyx is a reasonably priced middle of the road cigar that burns well - priced from 5 to 8 dollars. Cohibas are also consistent but I sometimes balk at the prices.

There are many smaller labels that are also good but, without extensive knowledge, my choices are not always the best...

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I really like the Cuesta Rey Centro Fino Sun Grown, not too expensive...........~$8, I smoke about once a week, so I like to try a variety of different stog's, Romeo y Julietas are good, Drew Estate Chateau Real's are good, Acid Kuba Kuba for a flavored smoke, Carlos Torano Casa Torano's are a nice spicy treat & for a cheap, sweet one, try a Baccarat, smooth, sweet flavor for ~$4

check out this site for some, pardon the pun, smokin deals
http://www.cigarsinternational.com