Quantcast

city boy/country roads

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Road bikes are fun. Especially when there are no taxis, buses, tourists, stroller-pushing milfs, dogs on 50-foot leashes and/or potholes the size of Texas trying to kill you every 3 feet.

Rented a house in Columbia County, NY for a week and got out on a few road rides when not on baby patrol, BBQ duty or emptying beer bottles into my facehole. Just grabbed a map, filled the water bottles and went.

A few things I learned: Any road with the word "hill" in its name will have one or more hills. The little white roads on a map are generally unpaved but take you through the best scenery. Cows have the right of way on a road. So do tractors bearing huge freaking metal teeth/thrasher/spinning death things on the front of them. Long twisty downhills make climbing/barfing your way up to the top of any road with the name "hill" in it totally worth it. Road bikes don't 'drift' like a downhill bike, they seem to skid and highside.

All in, I got four rides in between 20-30 miles each. The roads were empty, the scenery amazing and my self-fit, internet-bought, blowout-priced roadbike was fast and comfortable.

Here are a few lame cameraphone pics:

The climb up Jefferson Hill Road.

A white line on the map.

Local megafauna. And one of my fingers.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
looks like fun

what blowout ****ty bike was it? i'll probably be in the market for a self-fitted ****ty bike myself, soon.
2006 IH Excelsior Comp. $5andchange hundred bucks. 105 level components, taiwan catalog carbon/alu frame, etc. Nice bike for the dough. Wonder if the 07s will get blown out, too. Stay tuned to your favorite internets bike store.