Quantcast

City Downhill World Cup

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I think this has huge potential if done right. Will we have a winter urban series to look foreword to soon?

CDWC is an upcoming World Series in Urban Downhill racing, which we are setting up as a new dimension of gravity racing, with the aim of further promoting the sport in general and engaging a wider audience.
For 2014 we will have rounds in Brazil, Chile, Slovakia, as well another European city, which I am negotiating with right now. The idea is to join up the most popular existing races for the first years, and then later on to expand the series and take it to the most dynamic and prestigious metropoles of the world.
Vital article with plenty of davetrump photo goodness:
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Urban-DH-Going-Primetime-City-Downhill-World-Cup-Launched,569

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder how this UCI "ruling" will affect the attendance of "top pros" to such events. The UCI truly are a bunch of wankers. Pat McQuack should f-off and retire already. sheesh.

I like the looks of this series, I hope it works out.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The UCI needs to go away. They get less relevant by the week. I love how they are now also enforcing the rules for "enduro". Even after they wanted nothing to do with that discipline. Cash Grab much?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The UCI needs to go away. They get less relevant by the week. I love how they are now also enforcing the rules for "enduro". Even after they wanted nothing to do with that discipline. Cash Grab much?
Patty Cakes is stockpiling in preparation for his defense fund.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this rule, and the way USA Cycling's has decided to enforce it seems like a way of forcing any event that is moderately successful to pay them a kickback to license their events. smells like mafia "protection' schemes to me: pay me and I'll "protect" you, don't pay me and you can't play....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this rule, and the way USA Cycling's has decided to enforce it seems like a way of forcing any event that is moderately successful to pay them a kickback to license their events. smells like mafia "protection' schemes to me: pay me and I'll "protect" you, don't pay me and you can't play....
they're just enforcing their monopoly.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
here's a thought... could we use kickstarter to fund the breakaway league?
Kickstarting a PAC to legislate a change in language in subchapter 2 of 36 USC § 220521 is just about the only thing that can make a bit of difference domestically(and the US, seat of just about all corruption on earth taking a stand on something, well, might be a nice precedent).

It, seriously, is going to take an act of Congress(and aggressive enforcement of current laws) to smack-down USAC.
What USAC does in cycling the USOC-affiliated governing bodies do across every Olympic-affiliated sport.

The same group of powerful rich white guys(namely former Postal Service team owner(and EPO profiteer) Tom Weisel and his jock-sniffing endurance sycophants) are behind the corporate(as in non-democratic governance structure) takeovers of skiing and snowboarding, for example.

USAC monopoly power was most recently (and bogusly) confirmed via "Federation of Independent Associations for Cycling vs. USA Cycling" in Colorado Springs District Court in 2009.

That is the last legal action that was waged re: the monopoly issue and USAC being able to interfere with access to international competition for riders who tell USAC to shove it.

FIAC settled with a nice chunk of money in that case, and have a little bit left after paying their lawyers- and we all have to hope that they are re-loading to go after USAC again... and again... and again... until enough athletes are pissed enough that they'll start calling their congressional representatives and having bakesales so that we can get our goddamned sports back from people who HATE FUN.

Last edited: