Quantcast

City of Tehachapi contracts Gravity Logic,plans for year round bike park in socal

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Used to live near there....Tecrack-api is actually in the Tehachapi mountains...closer to the San Bernadino range then the Sierras. Town is a rail stop between LA and Bakersfield. Woodward West is there, and they do a decent job of trying not to be crappy...but it is still not a great area, mainly due to the people.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
$10 million including the lift and a village? That seems cheap... even though it looks like it could be easy access to the lift line, that is not a realistic figure.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
$10 million including the lift and a village? That seems cheap... even though it looks like it could be easy access to the lift line, that is not a realistic figure.
Used lifts are surprisingly cheap to purchase and install. Also, real estate in Tehachapi is pretty darn cheap compared to just about anywhere else in California I imagine. I remember the whole area surrounding Tehachapi (not so much the town itself) to be pretty meth-y.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am referring to the Big Bore flow trails as the alpine slide.
Try and play along.
No shlt dumbfvck. I'm pointing out how stupid that comparison is.

Try this: Big bore flow trails are like rollerblading down a boardwalk in runner's shorts with Richard Simmons on your back singing Liberace hits. Alpine slides are like something actually more exciting that what you've (as in you personally) ever experienced on your mountainbike at sub 30mph.

See? Much better!

Try and play along. Borrow a brain cell if need be.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No shlt dumbfvck. I'm pointing out how stupid that comparison is.

Try this: Big bore flow trails are like rollerblading down a boardwalk in runner's shorts with Richard Simmons on your back singing Liberace hits. Alpine slides are like something actually more exciting that what you've (as in you personally) ever experienced on your mountainbike at sub 30mph.

See? Much better!

Try and play along. Borrow a brain cell if need be.
ROR

(Raugh Out Roud)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Having ridden DH for long time and also from a BMX background i have noticed that my buddies and people i meet that hate flow trails are guys that cant jump very well and thus cling to the gnar style trails. I love nasty gnar as well just making an observation....
Meh. All the guys I know that bitch about them boost the shlt out of 6 foot lips on hardtails.

The problem isn't 'flow trails', I mean hell, who doesn't like dirt merchant when it's in good shape, or who has a bad time rolling down the crabapple jumps? The problem is that people build them horribly because they don't know what they're doing. You should see this mess they built at stevens pass up in Washington. It's a flow trail you have to pedal a bunch on to hit weird muted out flat jumps that are about 2 feet tall. Livewire at northstar is a combination of a few good jumps, a few more buck nasty collarbone killers, and horrendous 180 degree turns that people auger their tires into that make holes you can lose a sedan in.

They can be done well, they just rarely are. Some of the most god awful flow-less trails I've ever been on, have a sign that reads 'flow trail' at the top. :rofl:

Last edited:
They can be done well, they just rarely are. Some of the most god awful flow-less trails I've ever been on, have a sign that reads 'flow trail' at the top. :rofl:
Point taken..i have definitey ridden some pretty lame "flow" trails that ironically did not have any.
In the southeast right now any trail that is machine built or has a purpose made jump section is called a "flow" trail and frankly is giving he concept a bad name..:rant:
I'm all for the tehachapi project. Looks like they have a proper building team on point

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Meh. All the guys I know that bitch about them boost the shlt out of 6 foot lips on hardtails.

The problem isn't 'flow trails', I mean hell, who doesn't like dirt merchant when it's in good shape, or who has a bad time rolling down the crabapple jumps? The problem is that people build them horribly because they don't know what they're doing. You should see this mess they built at stevens pass up in Washington. It's a flow trail you have to pedal a bunch on to hit weird muted out flat jumps that are about 2 feet tall. Livewire at northstar is a combination of a few good jumps, a few more buck nasty collarbone killers, and horrendous 180 degree turns that people auger their tires into that make holes you can lose a sedan in.

best description i've seen :rofl:

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Used lifts are surprisingly cheap to purchase and install. Also, real estate in Tehachapi is pretty darn cheap compared to just about anywhere else in California I imagine. I remember the whole area surrounding Tehachapi (not so much the town itself) to be pretty meth-y.
I'm aware of exact figures on lifts, and even if they cheap out on a fixed triple they're running into 7figures. For the project to a legitimate they have to be looking at a detachable quad, which will increase that number significantly. Setting up a new year round park needs a detachable quad if they're going to have anywhere near the numbers to make it work, just to get people up the hill.

I work on chairs, I've been involved in moving detachable quads, and building new ones. I just can't see the numbers adding up.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They could definitely start out with a cheapo fixed triple or something even more ghetto then that (trust me I've seen lift access biking with worse). That would be more than enough to get a park going. Look at the lift situation and throughput at snow summit. Spoiler: It's awful right now, and they are over flowing with business and only have 2.5 trails.

Yeah low seven figures gets you going, still got plenty left over for building trails and some basic village type amenities. It doesn't need to be high dollar, full bells and whistles 5-start village off the bat. Just needs to be good enough to get the place going and start generating cash flow.

Last edited:

I agree, 'flow' is subjective and some builders get it all wrong! The most notable example that I have personally experienced exists at Vail, CO. The unfortunate trail is called "Radio Flyer". The bike park rep I spoke to described it as the trail they are most proud of. I say WTF! If you carry speed, there is a chance to get air, but with no landing. And, this continues on at infinitum. "Radio Flyer" ends with like 20 rollers in a row which is just stupid.

The builders at Vail need to drive over to Aspen-Snowmass Bike park and checkout the trail called "Valhalla". Now that's proper 'flow'! Take notes on this one and replicate at Vail.