Quantcast

Civics/Electoral College Question I Should Know...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
What protections are in place to prevent electoral college voters from just voting their preference, or whomever bribed them?
I have a degree in Poly Sci, and I certainly don’t remember...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1. not a law scholar (wasn't even sure how to spell scholar)
2. I don't think there are any. it's the honor system. But, those 'faithless' electors can be dismissed by their State and charged with a crime in some cases.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think a few states have passed legislation requiring electoral voters to cast their electoral ballot in accordance with the results of their states popular vote.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Related:

Thirty-two states have some sort of faithless elector law, but only 15 of those remove, penalize or simply cancel the votes of the errant electors. The 15 are Michigan, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Indiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Washington, California, New Mexico, South Carolina, Oklahoma and North Carolina. Although Maine has no such law, the secretary of state has said it has determined a faithless elector can be removed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wasn't it CO where one of them went rogue last time and wrote in Kasich or something?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wasn't it CO where one of them went rogue last time and wrote in Kasich or something?
more or less

The Colorado case involves three Democratic Party electors — Micheal Baca, Polly Baca and Robert Nemanich. After Colorado voted for Clinton in the 2016 race, the three were required under state law to cast their electoral votes for her but wanted to instead vote for John Kasich, a former Republican governor of Ohio, and stop Donald Trump from becoming president.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What protections are in place to prevent electoral college voters from just voting their preference, or whomever bribed them?
I have a degree in Poly Sci, and I certainly don’t remember...
Much more on this and other scenarios in this chilling article

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@Nick, @stoney, shttles,

read your ballots kids!

Already done, yo. Popular vote fuckers. Ohio and Michigan aren't more special that Alaska, Colorado, California, or Louisiana. 1 person 1 vote.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Much more on this and other scenarios in this chilling article

X-post, but very much related.

Edit: I knew I'd read that Atlantic article before. Are you poopdecking yourself?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Already done, yo. Popular vote fuckers. Ohio and Michigan aren't more special that Alaska, Colorado, California, or Louisiana. 1 person 1 vote.
Yup - this anachronism, anchored in racism, needs to fucking GO. The POTUS should be popularly elected. The whole idea of the prez *not* being elected by popular vote is goddam ludicrous. The only "balance" small states get is the Senate.