Quantcast

CK BB and RF Cinch

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Currently running a set of XTR m980 cranks w/ a King BB on my singlespeed. When putting the hammer down I notice flex in the cranks. Looking to replace the m980's with a set of the Race Face Atlas Cinch cranks. The internets give me a mixed bag on compatibility between the Shimano BB and the RF Cinch cranks.

Is the RF Cinch system interchangeable with the Shimano Hollowtech? Will the RF cranks fit in my CK Shimano BB?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No. The Shimano cranks use 24mm spindle while RF cinch uses 30mm spindle. You need teh RF BSA BB and a new BB tool.

I don't think you need the RF Atlas on a trail bike, the RF Turbine is plenty stiff.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That's what I thought... how can 24mm fit around 30mm... but the Internets filled my mind with wild ideas.

I'll look at the Turbines again. The ss hardtail with flat pedals seems to expose weakness in cranksets. The Atlas don't come with much weight penalty over the Turbines, with extra stiffness. I am looking to run the stiffest cranks I can afford which allows for clean 30t setup. The cinch looks good, real good. Been on Shimano cranks for over a decade and don't know what's comparable. (Gxp suxkz)

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Shimano pinch bolt system is the best design for a crank interface, period. I've owned Cinch cranks and they worked fine, but occasionally creaked and were generally a bit of a hassle to deal with. I'm back on Shimano and couldn't be happier.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The Shimano pinch bolt system is the best design for a crank interface, period. I've owned Cinch cranks and they worked fine, but occasionally creaked and were generally a bit of a hassle to deal with. I'm back on Shimano and couldn't be happier.
Y U no like direct mount chain rings? Crank spiders + chainring bolts are messy.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm using this as an opportunity to try an oval chainring on the SS. My normal SS combo is 30x20, but have been on a 32x22 for awhile. In order to get back to a 20t steel cog I need a 30t chainring. Smallest 104bcd oval is 32t, hence the cinch to get back to the 30t with oval. The webs say its easy on the knees. Seems like a no brainer for the single speed.