Quantcast

Clarke key for Davis Down Under

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Young Australian professional, Simon Clarke is Allan Davis's key helper this week at the Tour Down Under in Australia.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My job is to be here for Allan," said the 24-year-old from Melbourne.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am not a pure sprinter like Mark Renshaw [team HTC], but I will do what I can leading to the final kilometres. I have track skills and I know how to ride in a sprint. My job is to get Allan to be with Renshaw or the other lead-out men in the final kilometres."</p><p>
</p><p>
Clarke was visible at the front Sunday for the pre-race criterium. He took Davis to the back end of team Sky's train. In the first stage on Tuesday, he formed part of a five man escape group and took enough bonus seconds to win the young riders' jersey.</p><p>
</p><p>
His mind, though, is only on helping Davis.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I will do what I can for Allan," said Clarke. "As long as he gets a stage win, that will be more important."</p><p>
</p><p>
Astana's sports director at the Tour Down Under, Guido Bontempi agreed.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Andriy Grivko, Valentin Iglinsky and Clarke will help Allan. He has a chance at a stage and the classification," Bontempi explained. "The stages are more or less all the same and suited for Allan, except for Saturday's stage to Willunga – that will be the day to decide the classification."</p><p>
</p><p>
Davis has won six stages in Tour Down Under history. He won the race's overall classification in 2009.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Simon is the one who puts me in the position to win," Davis explained. "We need to keep working like that to get a result here because without a team you can't do anything, considering the other sprinters and their teams here."</p><p>
</p><p>
Clarke has a big future, explained Davis.</p><p>
</p><p>
"He's got a good mentality. If you got a good mentality, you can go for a long time," Davis added. "He is a good all around bike rider, he can be good in the one-day classics like Milano-Sanremo, the Ardennes."</p>

More...