Quantcast

<< Class 3 Death Storm GMT >>

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Have you seen the footage from the Tonga undersea volcanic eruption and Tsunami? Just over four hours ago now. Barely any comms from Tonga since. Shockwave heard here in NZ, wild. Hope people are OK.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Journalist Siraj Noorani (@sirajnoorani) Tweeted:
The eruption sent shockwaves all over. In this video you can even hear it blow by these people. Looks like they took the initiative to run to hopefully higher ground
#Volcano #Tonga #HungaTonga #HungaTongaHungaHaapai #underwater #Tsunami #Tonga #Oceania #MotherNature https://t.co/2ynSVNHsXW

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
∼Marietta ⛄ (@ThisIsMarietta) Tweeted:
Approx 4-foot tsunami wave hits Tonga after a giant volcano eruption in Tonga.
Footage posted shows water washing through a church & homes.
Heavy ash is falling over the capital, Nuku'alofa & communication appears to be down.
#Tsunami #Volcano #Tonga https://t.co/xFja8PUz55

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Journalist Siraj Noorani (@sirajnoorani) Tweeted:
A tsunami warning is now in force for all of Tonga following this evening's #underwater violent #volcano eruption.
Please #StaySafe.Folded hands

#Tsunami #Tonga #Oceania https://t.co/86OopJ7aZE

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
-17F, -34F wind chill. Time to break out the hot pads.

Storm is heading our way for Monday. Looks like 12-14 inches. Fingers crossed!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ski team practice cancelled due to cold. Figure ill catch up on some work this morning and then take the boys out later (even if it's not really supposed to warm up much). Coffee for now. Shit's a-brewin.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ski team practice cancelled due to cold. Figure ill catch up on some work this morning and then take the boys out later (even if it's not really supposed to warm up much). Coffee for now. Shit's a-brewin.
how's the back?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
signal-2022-01-15-07-41-50-640.jpg
signal-2022-01-15-07-41-41-849.jpg

Racetech gold valves look like they'll slot right in. Just need to drill a bunch o holes in the damper rod, then measure/cut the preload spacer. Racetech even supplied PVC to cut for that part.

I will have to run over to the hardware store after Dog School to get a miter box, though. Don't trust my ability to make any sorts of square cuts.

Should be a great upgrade. I used knockoff YSS valve emulators on my Royal Enfield and it was a massive improvement. I rode over my first speed bump and said "this feels like my old Marzo Jr T. That cannot be right."

These effectively turn a basic pumping rod arrangement into a shim stack. No external adjusts, but drops into a lot of classic forks. This is even easier than the Enfield due to the cupped top of the rod. No need to put a spacer under the valve.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Little house update.

After a few cold spells these past few days I must admit that I'm pretty stoked at the comfort level in the house. Heated concrete floor is the shitz! With the added comfort and warmth of the wood stove. Even in front of the big ass windows you barely feel the cold outside.

Ground floor is set at 70F, while second floor stays in 64-66F range without any heating source besides the heated floor in the master bathroom. I am following closely my heating expense on Hydro Quebec's website. Aiming at $1000 or below annual electricity bill.

My only gripe is the patio door. Leaks some air and ice builds up in the track. Should have invested in a more higher end model. Humidity is still a bit high (40%) for this time of year, windows are getting a bit wet when it's really cold. Concrete slab can take up to 5 years to completely dry out. We'll see if it gets in the 30% range by the end of the season.

oh and... :fancy:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure the roads are a shit show. No one else bothered to plow the hood after I finished at 4pm yesterday. So there's plenty of fresh snow to be moved just to get out to the main road.

Would like to fat bike, but trails likely have too much fresh on them

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
SO COLD!!!!!! I'm heading off to a home gymnastics meet so that means I get to score and announce and make sure everything runs smoothly while Syd coaches and Alex competes. Syd's foot is healing nicely and she is back to light activity and PT so hopefully she will be able to compete again soon. She is SO grumpy when she can't exercise!!!! Supposed to get some plowable snow on Monday so that's something to look forward to. I just hope it doesn't cancel my appointments! Gotta have my physical and boob squeeze!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ice tsunami en route here in the dirty souf. What originally was going to be a minor snow event now has the makings of 0.25" - 0.50" of slippery water. Was at grocery yesterday to get a 12 pack (and only a 12 pack) and felt properly manly surrounded by people dressed like Eskimos gathering all manner of food stuffs in case they can't get to Chic Filet for an entire fucking day. Have firewood stocked and a new bottle of brown libation.

Hope to sneak in a chilly woods mission in advance of the low friction glaze.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
how's the back?
a little stiff, but haven't taken pain meds in a few days, so I figure it's ready to be abused again...

No but seriously, I can't figure out what is causing the intermittent pain. Last week I skiied for very short periods of time - about an hour on Friday and Saturday morning. Back felt fine of Sunday, but Monday afternoon/evening started to ache. It was excruciating for a couple of days, then gradually got better. I'm thinking this is part of the healing process, and the only way to overcome it is to gently re-integrate regular activity. they key word being gently.

My physio told me the only way to live pain free from now on is to cease any form of strenuous exercise. If I want to exercise, it will cause pain for a period, while everything heals and goes back to normal. It sucks, but if it's part of the process, then I'll have to suck it up and deal with it I guess.

Little house update.

After a few cold spells these past few days I must admit that I'm pretty stoked at the comfort level in the house. Heated concrete floor is the shitz! With the added comfort and warmth of the wood stove. Even in front of the big ass windows you barely feel the cold outside.

Ground floor is set at 70F, while second floor stays in 64-66F range without any heating source besides the heated floor in the master bathroom. I am following closely my heating expense on Hydro Quebec's website. Aiming at $1000 or below annual electricity bill.

My only gripe is the patio door. Leaks some air and ice builds up in the track. Should have invested in a more higher end model. Humidity is still a bit high (40%) for this time of year, windows are getting a bit wet when it's really cold. Concrete slab can take up to 5 years to completely dry out. We'll see if it gets in the 30% range by the end of the season.

oh and... :fancy:
Do you mean your whole house is heated only by the upstairs bathroom in-floor heating, or that it is the only source of heating on the second floor?

What's the source of heat for the in-floor system? Can heat exchangers be used for that?
my lover back is still sore. I'm going to spend the day studying and eating ibuprofen. but first: espresso
lower back pain is debilitating. I didn't realize how bad it could be. Take care...

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Do you mean your whole house is heated only by the upstairs bathroom in-floor heating, or that it is the only source of heating on the second floor?

What's the source of heat for the in-floor system? Can heat exchangers be used for that?
Only source of heating on the second floor. Actually does not heat the room, just keeps the floor tiles comfortable. The air exchanger set to recirculate bring the bottom floor heat upstairs, to a certain level. We are pre wired for baseboard heating if we ever need it.

Main floor is heated with glycol and a 9kw electric heater.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
to quote clay davis.....two words to describe todays teens... "grasping bitches"....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hello fronds

wifey got the booster yesterday, so she's all jacked up today
I've been pooping a lot. Maybe a whole steak sub after eating low cal vegan food for a week was a bad idea.
supa cold outside so probably inside fun today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Was traffic briefly yesterday afternoon and turned around and came home. Ain’t nobody got time for that, plus the roads were bad and I’d packed the minivan not expecting much snow.

So a weekend at home.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, hand-drilling all that stuff was WAY quicker than getting it to a machine shop.

Thankfully nothing is precision. The drilling just serves to bypass the pumping rod's restricting function so the oil can get to the shim stack, transferring the damping control to the emulator.

So, just a big bunch o' sloppy holes, roughly measured out along the rod. I do wish I had a drill press, or a vise that wasn't just sitting on the ground unattached to anything, but nomads gotta nomad.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't snow cold?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hell in a hand basket - Tonga just went nuclear!

Here. Doing bills. Wifey is feeling better, but Haley is still sick. Got her re-tested yesterday. She gets bloody noses and had a nearly 20min long beast yesterday that turned her jacket into a spotted mess. Getting an appt with an ENT asap, as these are getting ridiculous. Her laptop was ordered and going shopping for a new ski jacket. Having trouble finding anywhere with Helly Hansen kid's stuff in stock, so she might end up with Obermeyer, but she needs some seriously insulated, water and wind proof gear.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hello all. Was traffic briefly yesterday afternoon and turned around and came home. Ain’t nobody got time for that, plus the roads were bad and I’d packed the minivan not expecting much snow.

So a weekend at home.
70 still looks slow heading west for the little sliver I can see in the distance.