Quantcast

Classic Eats - or where did you go after the bars?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I haven't had lunch today and I'm starving, so it made me think of Nick Tahou's Hots in Rochester, NY - home of the Garbage Plate. I went to school at Gates-Chili High School and we used to hit the Nick's on Lyell Avenue quite often....I also hit the downtown Nick's after going out to the bars during my summer breaks while in college.

Now I could really go for a good night out drinking with friends followed by a Cheeseburger Plate with macaroni salad from Nick's....mmmmmmm.....goodness!

http://patjenk.com/rochester/tahous/

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

So where did(do) you Monkeys love to go after a night out on the town in your hometown or where you live now??

I'm still not sure where the place to go is in Hartford - maybe because I'm too old to stay out so late or something. :think:

Maybe the Goldroc Diner if you are on the west side of Hartford? :think:

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
Maybe the Goldroc Diner if you are on the west side of Hartford? :think:
Dina and I go there sometimes. Its pretty good, very fast, and inexpensive. Just make sure you're wearing the right colors after about 2am.

The Red Plate (Asylum St) and Vaughn's (Pratt St) are both good when you're downtown. Wood~n~Tap (Capitol and Sisson) is also good in the West End.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
In Isla Vista (town next to UCSB) there is a burrito joint called The Cantina. They opened up for late night night breakfast burritos from 11pm-3am A breakfast burrito after drinking a ton might be one of the best possible combos ever.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In Oneonta they serve cold cheese pizza till like 4am. All it is is a slice of pizza cooked and when taken out of the oven they put about 2 cups of cold mozzerella on top of it.

There is a place on South Street in Philly that serves Philly cheese steaks that rock more than geno's or pat's.

http://www.dannysdrivein.com/
Best BURGER in the world. Comes with hot sauce and onions...
Ashland PA.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
When I was in school @ UM0 it was Dysart's truck stop on I-95. It was not driving walking distance from campus - you needed to catch a ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Place called the Bagelry in Potsdam NY. Or we would just go home and fire up the deep fryer and fry whatever we could get our hands on. Deep fried beer cans explode by the way.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tonyhawk said:
Dina and I go there sometimes. Its pretty good, very fast, and inexpensive. Just make sure you're wearing the right colors after about 2am.

The Red Plate (Asylum St) and Vaughn's (Pratt St) are both good when you're downtown. Wood~n~Tap (Capitol and Sisson) is also good in the West End.
But can you grab a bite to eat after the bars close at any of those three?

I've been to Vaughn's and the Wood N Tap but never to the Red Plate.

The Half Door often has some good grub too - but only during their hours of operation.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy said:
Place called the Bagelry in Potsdam NY. Or we would just go home and fire up the deep fryer and fry whatever we could get our hands on. Deep fried beer cans explode by the way.
Westy - did you go to Clarkson or something?

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
SkaredShtles said:
Place called "Pete's Kitchen" here in Denver is a classic..... busiest between the hours of 1-3a.m. :D

-S.S.-
Awesome! This is a good thread. I think eating at places like this is one of my favorite parts of traveling. It makes me want to either eat or skip town, I can't decide.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Enginerd A2 said:
Awesome! This is a good thread. I think eating at places like this is one of my favorite parts of traveling. I makes me want to either eat or skip town, I can't decide.
When I was in Michigan, I *always* wanted to skip town..........

There's a classic "mountain" dive called "The Bucksnort" that is a *MUST* if you're riding in the Buffalo Creek area of the Front Range foothills:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:

There's a classic "mountain" dive called "The Bucksnort" that is a *MUST* if you're riding in the Buffalo Creek area of the Front Range foothills:

thats scary!

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
MMcG said:
Haha - they even have "dead bikes" out front! Nice!

QUOTE]

Yeah, open 24 hrs, at any given time 1/3 of the patrons are drunk, 1/6 of the patrons are homeless, 1/2 the patrons are just drinking coffe, and 3/4 of the patrons are smoking! Approximately, of course. Ann Arbor has lots of good eats of the cheap and late night variety.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
SkaredShtles said:

While I mostly agree with you about Michigan sucking, I do like Ann Arbor a lot, but mostly just in the summer.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Is it wrong that you ask, "Where DID I go after drinking", but I still drink and then go on eating binges?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
But can you grab a bite to eat after the bars close at any of those three?

I've been to Vaughn's and the Wood N Tap but never to the Red Plate.

The Half Door often has some good grub too - but only during their hours of operation.
Nah, just the Goldroc. I must be getting old - I don't remember the last time I heard someone yell "last call!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
Cold up there eh? And not a whole heckuva lot to do either right? I used to travel to Potsdam to play hockey when I went to school in Fredonia.
Cold, yes. I remember temps of -25 during daylight. Not too much to do either. Went to school and partied my ass off. Actually had tons of fun up there, it was just rough on the body, mind and soul. 10 years later and I am still paying off the loans.

I didn't watch much hockey while there, games were during happy hour. Wished I had tried to play intramurals though.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
I'm right with ya there Tony - it's been a while for me too.

Man I'm hungry!

Well, I might try to crash your party at Murphy's tomorrow, so maybe we'll stay till last call (yeah right).

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I'm still not sure where the place to go is in Hartford - maybe because I'm too old to stay out so late or something. :think:
I like the food at Coach's and City Steam (basic pub fare) but they stop serving food at like 10:00. I've never really eaten in Hartford "after hours." Me and my friends would always hit the local Denny's becasue it's about the only thing that's open 24 hours. I don't know too many restaurants serving food at 2:00 AM.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tonyhawk said:
Well, I might try to crash your party at Murphy's tomorrow, so maybe we'll stay till last call (yeah right).
Excellent! you are always invited even when we don't invite ya! ;) Just consider it a given that you are always welcome. :thumb:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
You mean aside from the old standby IHOP and Waffle House?

It's still gonna be breakfast somewhere. . .

The "classic" for me in Houston was the Dot Coffee Shop. Honorable mention to Spanish Flowers for tacos de lengua and La Jaliscience for their huge burrito(not sure if La Jali is open that late tho).