Quantcast

Classic: what bike to buy next. Can't decide XD

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
Greetings!

I've been mountain biking for the past few years and I put around 1000km of trail riding on my bike each year which slowly put my 400usd bike into dirt.

I love biking and so I decided to buy a proper mountain bike this time. Buy one cry once type of deal.

I know I want an modern (aggressive) hardtail which I can pedal uphill and also have a blast and fun going down on flowy trails but also not to feel like an XC bike over the more steep and ruff stuff. My budget is 2600USD. For now I narrowed my choice down to 4 bikes.

The bikes are:
2022 Vitus Sentier 29 VRX - https://vitusbikes.com/collections/sentier/products/vitus-sentier-29-vrx-mountain-bike-2022
2022 Sonder Signal ST XT - https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-signal-st-xt
2022 Trek Roscoe 9 - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-9/p/35118/
2022 Rose Bonero 3 - https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-bonero-3-2693547?product_shape=Sandy+Taco&article_size=M

I can't completely decide which one to get and they are all similar in terms of geometry but each one has it's own pros and cons(spec, fork, rims, overall weight...)

I would appreciate your opinions and thoughts so feel free to speak your mind. If you also have a new recommendation please share it with me I might have missed something. Also keep in mind that I am 179cm 70kg (5feet 9inch, 154lbs) and live in Croatia Europe.

Cheers!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That Rose looks pretty rad excluding the internal cable routing, I'm not really an aluminum frame person but some with thinner or curved stays do ride okay.

On-One is just about to release their Huntsman frame and if you can tolerate sliding dropouts and build quality that is probably not on the same level as a Trek etc it's probably a solid bike.

1662458820882.png

You could go close to getting a Meta with an Ohlins for for that money I think but the reach may be a touch short and I'd want a 130-140mm fork on it.

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
That Rose looks pretty rad excluding the internal cable routing, I'm not really an aluminum frame person but some with thinner or curved stays do ride okay.

On-One is just about to release their Huntsman frame and if you can tolerate sliding dropouts and build quality that is probably not on the same level as a Trek etc it's probably a solid bike.

View attachment 181614

You could go close to getting a Meta with an Ohlins for for that money I think but the reach may be a touch short and I'd want a 130-140mm fork on it.
The rose does look good. The only thing that kind of bugs me whit the rose is that it doesn't have parallel-ish seat stays and top tube so it doesn't look that comfy and relaxed but I'm not sure if that effects things. The meta with ohlins is quite a bit more expensive than the rest and the frame is apparently very stiff (hardtail party review)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just saw that the Rose color is "Sandy Taco", that is awesome!

Yeah the Commencal does look like a pretty stout frame, I hate super stiff frames.
SolarisMax would probably suit-
1662466813067.png

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
I just saw that the Rose color is "Sandy Taco", that is awesome!

Yeah the Commencal does look like a pretty stout frame, I hate super stiff frames.
SolarisMax would probably suit-
View attachment 181617

That Cotic looks great but I think it's a bit too long for my style of riding because I would prefer a more lively bike with shorter chain stays insted of a longer and more planted bike like this one because I'm not a big guy.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
From what you describe, the Kona Honzo ESD would be perfect. Not sure how much it is in USD, but it may be a bit above your 2600$US budget.

Chainstays can be setup very short, HA is slack, Reach is long, frame is comfortable. I have one and it's the best bike I've ever had. My enduro bike is now only used for lift-assisted riding and very gnarly/fast trails.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That Cotic looks great but I think it's a bit too long for my style of riding because I would prefer a more lively bike with shorter chain stays insted of a longer and more planted bike like this one because I'm not a big guy.
Ragley may also have something that would suit, they are a bit sorter on the reach from memory.
I am 6ft and I think my reach is now down to about 660mm(mulleted) and I find that a bit short for me but the wheel is way out in front as the HA is 62deg.