Quantcast

Classical track of the day (April 26, 2006)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
no guarantees that i'll keep this up, but for today, Apr 26 on the east coast, here is a track:

John Adams, San Francisco Symphony - "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" (~5 mb in mp3 format)

short ride in a fast machine is an exciting piece. it's a sketch, as its title would imply, and is technically challenging for all its syncopation and complicated rhythms.

it's also technically challenging from the standpoint of a trumpet player since the parts are really high and stay up there the entire piece. around 2:50 you get to hear what a triple-forte high concert D line sounds like from the bells of the (professional) section in the San Francisco Symphony.

for seattle locals who might be reading this, you can hear how my high chops sound on this piece on may 20 and may 21. ask me if interested.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
for seattle locals who might be reading this, you can hear how my high chops sound on this piece on may 20 and may 21. ask me if interested.
Record and post it if you can.

I like it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks Toshi. Been wanting listen to some classical, but I wouldn't know where the hell to start.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i dig it for its technicality. you're right, the syncopation is quite crazy.

musically, doesn't do it for me. it's"up" through the entire piece. i was waiting for a down section...is the next track legato? i guess that's why it's called Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the Inbred said:
i dig it for its technicality. you're right, the syncopation is quite crazy.

musically, doesn't do it for me. it's"up" through the entire piece. i was waiting for a down section...is the next track legato? i guess that's why it's called Short Ride in a Fast Machine.
yeah, you nailed it. it's not supposed to be "complete", just supposed to evoke one whirlwind of activity. the next few tracks that i have planned will be a bit more well-rounded, or at least will linger in a different corner of the spectrum. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TreeSaw said:
:( Won't play here at school, but I look forward to hearing it when I get home today! :thumb:
splat said:
:stupid: same on my Linux box also
i just converted it to mp3 instead of Apple Lossless, which should play on just about any computer:

new download link is in the first post, and here, too: http://download.yousendit.com/C8DC19A94BAA6C1D
Fool said:
Thanks Toshi. Been wanting listen to some classical, but I wouldn't know where the hell to start.
i imagine it is daunting, especially since the classical radio stations tend to play really conservative/boring selections, the same vivaldi and mozart pieces over and over again. i'm going to start out with some more punchy and modern tracks, with modern meaning 20th century and 19th century alike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Toshi said:
i just converted it to mp3 instead of Apple Lossless, which should play on just about any computer:

new download link is in the first post, and here, too: http://download.yousendit.com/C8DC19A94BAA6C1D

i imagine it is daunting, especially since the classical radio stations tend to play really conservative/boring selections, the same vivaldi and mozart pieces over and over again. i'm going to start out with some more punchy and modern tracks, with modern meaning 20th century and 19th century alike.
Thanks! You're right about the crazy syncopations. I have been stressing syncopation with my kids and may have to use this as a listening example for their final (I love to shock their ears ;) ).

I'd love to offer some suggestions for "Classical song of the day" if you need some more modern selections. I tire of the same old NPR recordings as well!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
please do offer suggestions. i have the next week or so figured out, but after that...?? :D

(week in a glance: holst's mars, debussy's fétes, contrapunctus IX on organ and in string quartet form, ravel quartet in F opening, tchaik 6 finale, prokofiev piano cto 3 opening, a song from strauss' vier letzte lieder)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Weird I heard this song earlier today. Yeah I'm not a fan of the whole minimalist thing, its just too simplified for me. You should put up some Paganini and see what kind of reaction you get. The guy can play the heck out of the violin, but that doesn't mean it sounds pretty:rolleyes: